Are Germans the biblical Assyrians?

Post up on thoughts that are not related to the other forums in THEOLOGY.

Are Germans the biblical Assyrians?

Postby sven » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:42 am

I have recently discussed with some Christian fellows who are of the opinion that modern day Germans are descendants of the biblical Assyirians

https://www.thetrumpet.com/article/7490 ... man-people

Do you think this makes any sense? I always thought that the European peoples descend from Japhet, the Germans precisely from Gomer.
sven

Re: Are Germans the biblical Assyrians?

Postby Holy-Fool-P-Zombie » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:08 am

If you Google "Are Germans the biblical Assyrians?", you will find different opinions. Most appear to say no or that not enough evidence is available, to make that determination. Let me quote this from Wiki at Assyria and Germany in Anglo-Israelism:

As with Anglo-Israelism itself, proposed German-Assyrian connections enjoy no empirical support and are not current among mainstream historians, anthropologists, archaeologists or historical linguists.
Anglo-Orthodox/ Anglo-Catholic; Holy Fool Theologian; Satirist; Pragmatist; Homeopath; Inclusivist / Purgatorical Conditionalist;
Contemplation (i.e. Mindfulness, Red Road and Sufi Healing); Ayurveda; Chinese Medicine; Prosperity (Joel Osteen) / Full Gospel
Holy-Fool-P-Zombie

Location: Near Chicago or hanging out with Holy Fools, P-Zombies, Guardian Angels and Devil's Advocates

Postby Lazarus Short » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:31 pm

I was taught that the East Germans and/or Prussians are Assyrians. BTW, there are still to this day people in the middle east who identify themselves as Assyrians - I used to work with one. I once read an article in which an East German stated that "we are the REAL Germans."
The truth points to itself. -Kosh Naranek

What an elder can see sitting down, a youth can't see standing up.
A youth can have fine robes like an elder, but a youth can never have rags like an elder.
- old Yoruba proverbs
Lazarus Short

Postby sven » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:23 pm

As far as I know the East Germans have to a significant amount Slavic Blood, whereas Southern Germans as I am, have to a certain amount Celtic blood, the next point would be that since the English speaking world ist called Anglo-Saxon they should be related to the German Saxons, I think one could dismiss the notion that the Germanic peoples are Semitic? After all I think the Biblical background of modern races is a very interesting topic.
sven

Return to General Theology