The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Rewarded with Death

Been having a study in the Kings of Israel in Sunday School class at my church. One thing that recently struck me is the matter with Josiah near the end of his life. In the context of the following passage, Huldah the prophetess informs Josiah of a coming judgment from God upon Judah:

*"And she said unto them, Thus saith the LORD God of Israel, Tell the man that sent you to me,

Thus saith the LORD, Behold, I will bring evil upon this place, and upon the inhabitants thereof, even all the words of the book which the king of Judah hath read:

Because they have forsaken me, and have burned incense unto other gods, that they might provoke me to anger with all the works of their hands; therefore my wrath shall be kindled against this place, and shall not be quenched." - II Kings 22:15-17*

(As an aside, we are greeted here with the terminology typical of the wrath of God in ET circles, yet obviously the quenching did indeed cease after Nebuchanezzar pillaged, beseiged, and burnt Jerusalem and took the people of Judah away into captivity in Babylon. And there they remained in Babylon until the seventy sabbaths of years were fulfilled.)

However, Josiah is spared seeing these things come to pass:

*"But to the king of Judah which sent you to enquire of the LORD, thus shall ye say to him, Thus saith the LORD God of Israel, As touching the words which thou hast heard;

Because thine heart was tender, and thou hast humbled thyself before the LORD, when thou heardest what I spake against this place, and against the inhabitants thereof, that they should become a desolation and a curse, and hast rent thy clothes, and wept before me; I also have heard thee, saith the LORD. - II Kings 22:18-19

Now at this point, I expected that God would save Josiah from the coming wrath due to his repentance, however this was done in a way I unexpected:

"Behold therefore, I will gather thee unto thy fathers, and thou shalt be gathered into thy grave in peace; and thine eyes shall not see all the evil which I will bring upon this place. And they brought the king word again." - II Kings 22:15-20 - II Kings 22:15-20*

So basically Josiah was rewarded in his repentence with death, so that he would be spared seeing the destruction and eventual captivity of Israel. Of course, in his remaining time, he did clean up the town and got the people right with the Lord, even knowing his death was immediately pending. Still, I think it odd that God was doing him a favor by putting him to sleep.

Dondi,

That was very interesting and not something I had ever noticed before concerning Josiah. One thought that struck me was that until fairly recently Kings and Emperors tended to die violently for the most part (not all of course but the majority). Many of them at the hands of their own relatives (particularly their sons). In that case it could be construed as a great gift for a King to die in his own bed at peace.

As I say, just a thought.

Jeff,

Of course we know Josiah didn’t die a peaceful death. He died trying to disguise himself in battle against Necho, king of Egypt, according to the parallel passage in II Chron 35, even when Necho told Josiah that God instructed him to come against Judah. Necho had no plans to slaughter the King of Judah, but that’s what Josiah got by meddling.

In hindsight, I wonder if Josiah’s death had a duel purpose. Josiah’s son, Jehoahaz succeeded him, but he was a wicked king, unlike his father. All the more reason for God to execute His wrath, whereas if God decided to fulfill the prophecy during the time of Josiah, with all his efforts to reform Judah, then it would have appeared obtuse to do so in light of those efforts.

Oh well… so much for that theory then :smiley:

I viewed this discussion some days ago and thought of many things to write concerning death that might be applicable. But alas, I could not feel His leading to share such. Instead this morning as I read Lettie Cowman’s devotional, I heard His voice in this poem, that begged publishing here (below).

How often I have watched, as those that have come into the deeper truth debate the violence and methods of God in the Old Testament. Some even holding to the idea, the God of the OT was man’s invention and foreign to the God of the NT. As one that holds fast the absolute sovereignty of God, I have gained peace by understanding the Old Testament in terms of types and shadows of Christ by His Spirit, dwelling in His Kingdom within each of us. There is wonderful allegory in the lives, events and edicts of God found in the first partition of the Holy Writ and what delight to find each soul mentioned in the OT plays out perfectly in metaphor, when applied to God’s work within us. So it is, that Josiah, like all the Old Testament characters, played their roles perfectly by God’s hand. This was done, that one day we might realize the ways and methods of His indwelling Kingdom. In other words, these members of the Elohim left their first estate, to be lowered into their earthly walks with a message for us today. Each ancient messenger gave their lives that we might see Christ and more so, glimpse Christ in creation demonstrating God as All in All. From the infants of the pagan tribes dashed on the rocks to the greatest of prophets and patriarchs, they all gave their lives to God’s good purpose of gathering and filling all creation in and with Love, realized by all at the end of the ages. So today, I am at peace with the my belief, that the Deity of the Old Testament is the same as the God of the New Testament.

This brings me to the poem where I saw Josiah, along with all the souls mentioned in the OT, lodged in the first line. I then saw myself in the latter two verses. I hope this short little poem by Rutherford blesses you this morning, however you may read it.

*However matters go, the worst will be a tired traveler and a joyful and sweet welcome home.

I’m going by the upper road, for that still holds the sun, I’m climbing through night’s pastures where the starry rivers run.

If you should think to seek me in my old dark abode, You’ll find this writing on the door, "He’s on the Upper Road.*

In His Sweet Lord Jesus,

John

That was beautiful, John.

Though I fail to see the Love of God in the dashing of babies. But to each it’s own. :smiley: