The Evangelical Universalist Forum

St Basil the Great Social Vision

St Basil’s understanding on the commitment of humanity to each other, being founded in the law of love, and brought a vision from his monasticism to envision a form of engaged monasticism rather than one in retreat, and one where the principles of follow Christ followed within monasticisms should be more actively engaged in society at large. Very interesting and just as challenging and timely a message now as then, and I just wanted to post this article detailing Basil’s social vision:

incommunion.org/2008/12/07/b … al-vision/

I find his insights powerful, and drawing the understanding of that the principles of Christ’s Life and rule that were became to be practiced at full purely in monasteries and lead to in different ways in West and East to a two-tier situation should always have been combined, with an engaged monasticism, that as He is Lord and King of all, the principles are not for a select few while others suffer. But the engaged action undergirds a mandate for the entire Church as an approach to these issues and see His Kingdom brought and manifested in all areas, in any case, they are very timely for today’s world, perhaps their words are even more true for Western society, in relation to the global world we find ourselves in.

Here is one of the individual homilies below, perhaps people will find them as stirring and challenging as I do.

bekkos.wordpress.com/st-basils-s … -the-rich/