The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Clive Lewis and John Piper's Calvinist Confusions, by Dr. Je

This is a very good video, if you have the time for it. He makes some interesting arguments from an Arminian perspective.

youtu.be/_eQKu3_9pgk

Good video Geoff and I wonder if Jerry Wall’s batman tee shirt is intentional :smiley: The more I know about Neo-Calvinism the more it seems similar in structure to Marxist Leninism to me. Both have a seemingly inexorable logic - the only difference is that one is in the name of an abstract Man, the other in the name of an abstract God :frowning:

Ah, was watching this the other day. Haven’t finished it yet, 52 minutes in.

Got quite a lot of respect for Jerry Walls. He did a very good three part set of videos on the illogicality of Calvinism which is on Youtube and I think he did a book on it as well, though I haven’t read it. He also believes in the possibility of post-mortem salvation and purgatory, though isn’t a Universalist (he leans towards CS Lewis’ view on it as far as I’m aware). He’s debated with Tom Talbott on Universalism though I don’t know how those debates went.

That’s interesting - he’s in “Hellbound?”, and I got the impression that he’s a “Pessimistic Universalist” - or someone who hopes Universalism will be true, but can’t commit to it intellectually, or something like that. I would have thought he wouldn’t have wanted to debate the subject, but would have remained somewhat agnostic about it. I might have to look for that video.

Actually, I want to find more about this Talbott / Piper debate he mentioned in this video.

evangelicaluniversalist.com/foru … =45&t=1658

Why thank you! I’ll have to read that later!

I was personally present for one of those recent debates, at Nashville a couple of summers ago. The honorable Edward Fudge was there, too, for annihilationism – it was at a conference on reconciliation, and Mr. Fudge’s biography film was early-screening, possibly for the first time. (That’s why he was there. Despite his position having nothing at all to do with reconciliation per se. :wink: )

I took copious notes, and later Dr. Talbott and I amicably double-teamed Dr. Walls while Mr. Fudge looked on in bemusement. We’re all big fans of C. S. Lewis, so we had a lot of common ground to work with.

However, the debate organizers asked audience members and participants not to post notes online as they were hoping to get a three-way book out of it. That didn’t happen, but then time happened so I never posted my notes. :wink:

“This is a very good video, if you have the time for it. He makes some interesting arguments from an Arminian perspective.”

It’s never too late :slight_smile:

Or would you like to post them on the other side of the grave?