The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Suffix and Surprise Poetry

NOUN (SUNE FORM) – SOPHROSUNE (#4997)

It appears that this Greek combination-word includes the “together” suffix [saving - disposition -together]; however, Zodhiates makes no mention of this, even though Zodhiates is very specific and detailed about such things. What Zodhiates does mention, however, is that “sOphrosunEs” is genitive [of a saving-disposition]; that is, this noun is genitive-singular-feminine (#4997 N-GSF) in all three verses, so I’m just wondering if the “sune” form is really a “together” suffix, or just a genitive configuration that looks like the “together” suffix?

1Tim 2:9
“Similarly women also,
themselves to adorn in a decorous raiment, with a modesty and saving-disposition,
*** together-saving-disposition ***
no[t] in braids and gold, or pearls, or a costly garment,” (~Robin)

1Tim 2:15
"yet will be saved through the childbearing, if-ever they should remain in trust and love,
and sanctification with a saving-disposition *** together-saving-disposition *** (~Robin)

Acts 26:25
“Yet the Paulos he avers, “I be mad not, most-mighty Festus;
but of a truth and of a saving-disposition *** together-saving-disposition *** I declaim”” (~Robin)

This word family is usually found translated as something like “sane” and “sanity” (and/or many other such associated readings) … Not to argue, please, but I opted to read these words by acknowledging their basic word elements hyphenated together. It’s about the above noun “sOphrosunEs” that I’m asking, but I thought it prudent to mention (for general information) the other words in this word family.

VERB – SOPHRONEO (#4993)
Found in Mark 5:15; Luke 8:35; Romans 12:3; 2Cor 5:13; Titus 2:6; and 1Peter 4:7. I think that all six verses should read as the hyphenated …“safely-disposed” …

Of particular interest, I was surprised to find this in Romans 12:3; that is it reads like a poem …

legO gar dia tEs charitos tEs dotheisEs moi
panti tO onti en humin mE huperphronein
par ho dei phronein
alla phronein
eis to sOphronein
hekastO hOs ho theos emerisen metron pisteOs

"For I say, through the grace, of the [grace] being given to me,
unto the every [one] being among you, no[t] to be overly-disposed
beside to which [thing] it binds to be disposed,
but for’ the [thing] to be disposed,
to be safely-disposed
as the God, unto each [one] a measure of trust He had imparted” (~Robin)

NOUN – SOPHRONISMOS (#4995)
Found in 2Tim 1:7; the noun “sOphronismou” {4995 N-GSM} …”of a safe-disposition”

“for to us the God gives not a spirit of timidity,
but of power, and love, and safe-disposition.” (~Robin)

ou gar edOken hEmin ho theos pneuma deilias
alla dunameOs kai agapEs kai sOphronismou

ADVERB – SOPHRONOS (#4996)
Used just the once in Titus 2:12 as “sOphronoumen” (V-PAI-1P) … “we be safely-disposed”

ADJECTIVE - SOPHRONOS (#4998)
Found in 1Tim 3:2; Titus 1:8; 2:2; and 2:5; and using Titus 1:8 as an example of my hyphenated form of reading of the adjective “sOphrona” {4998 A-ASM} … “to a safe-dispositioned one

(Robin)
Think that “dispositioned” is better than “disposed” …
Would also suggest that “huperphronein” be adjusted to read as ….“overly-dispositioned” …
And the verb “phronein” {5426 V-PAN} to be read as … “to be dispositioned” …

VERB – SOPHRONEO (#4993)

Rom 12:3 “For I say, through the grace, of the [grace] being given to me, unto the every [one] being among you,
no[t] to be overly-dispositioned
beside to which [thing] it binds to be dispositioned,
but into the [thing] to be dispositioned
to be safely-dispositioned
as the God, unto each [one]
a measure of trust He had imparted” (re-adjusted)

legO gar dia tEs charitos tEs dotheisEs moi panti tO onti en humin mE
huperphronein
par ho dei phronein
alla phronein
eis to sOphronein
hekastO hOs ho theos emerisen metron pisteOs

I say {3004 V-PAI-1S} for {1063 CONJ} through {1223 PREP} of the [one] {3588 T-GSF} of a grace {5485 N-GSF} of the [one] {3588 T-GSF} of being given {1325 V-APP-GSF} unto me {1473 P-1DS} unto every [one] {3956 A-DSM} unto the [one] {3588 T-DSM} unto being {1510 V-PAP-DSM} among/ in {1722 PREP} unto you {4771 P-2DP} no[t] {3361 PRT-N} to be overly-dispositioned {5252 V-PAN} beside {3844 PREP} to which a [thing] {3739 R-ASN} it binds {1163 V-PAI-3S} to be dispositioned {5426 V-PAN} but {235 CONJ} to be dispositioned {5426 V-PAN} for’/ into {1519 PREP} to the [thing] {3588 T-ASN} to be safely dispositioined {4993 V-PAN} unto each [one] {1538 A-DSM} as {5613 ADV} the [One] {3588 T-NSM}God {2316 N-NSM} He had imparted {3307 V-AAI-3S} to a measure {3358 N-ASN} of a trust {4102 N-GSF}

(Robin)
And the ADVERB – SOPHRONOS (#4996) be re-adjusted to read as …“we be safely-dispositioned”…

Titus 2:12 "to us disciplining, that to the irreverence, and the systematic desires denying;

safely-dispositioned, and rectifyingly, and devoutly we should live in the eon, now," (re-adjusted)

disciplining {3811 V-PAP-NSF} to us {1473 P-1AP} that {2443 CONJ} denying {0720 V-ADP-NPM} to the [one] {3588 T-ASF} to an irreverence {0763 N-ASF} and {2532 CONJ} to the [ones] {3588 T-APF} to systematic [ones] {2886 A-APF} to desires {1939 N-APF} safely-dispositioned {4996 ADV} even/ and {2532 CONJ} rectifyingly {1346 ADV} even/ and {2532 CONJ} devoutly {2153 ADV} we should live {2198 V-AAS-1P} in {1722 PREP} unto the [one] {3588 T-DSM} now {3568 ADV} unto an eon {0165 N-DSM}