The Evangelical Universalist Forum

God is Sovereign

I’d like to pull together a list of scriptures whose prima facia (at first glance) understanding affirms that God is sovereign, directs all according to His will. Your help would be appreciated. Thanks

If God directs ALL according to His will, that is, if He micromanages all human action, then He is the author of evil—of every rape, murder, and torture that ever takes place. Furthermore, the prayer Christ taught His disciples to pray would be meaningless. For why pray to the Father that His will be done on earth as it is in heaven. For His will would ALWAYS be done on earth—every atrocity as well as every loving deed would be God’s doing.

Sherman,

I don’t know if you’ve read it, but Hope Beyond Hell by Gerry Beauchemin has sections addressing the sovereignty and the love of God, complete with comprehensive verse lists on those and many other angles. You can download a searchable pdf free at his website.hopebeyondhell.net/

If I were to give you verses, I’d most likely just be mining them from his book. So, unless you’re looking for other things Gerry might not have thought of, that’s the place I’d go.

Blessings, Cindy

Sovereignty doesn’t not mean micromanagement, it means that in the End, He prevails, He is the FINAL AUTHORITY in ALL THINGS.

You have a free will to make your choices, and if you mess up and find yourself in a cell of your own making and a result of your own action, a SOVEREIGN God can free you. If you die as a result of your own free will, a SOVEREIGN God can bring your back to life.

A Sovereign God does not need to micromanage His Creation, He has the final action in His final work. He can most definitely go against everything you did and said, and even show you the error of your ways knowing exactly how you will repent of it. The most INTELLIGENT, most EMOTIONAL, most GOOD, most LOVING, most POWERFUL, most UNDERSTANDING, SOVEREIGN God, will win despite you and your free-will and what you choose to do with yourself.

**Philippians 1:6
**And I am convinced and sure of this very thing, that He Who began a good work in you will continue until the day of Jesus Christ [right up to the time of His return], developing [that good work] and perfecting and bringing it to full completion in you.

1 Corinthians 13:10
But when the complete and perfect (total) comes, the incomplete and imperfect will vanish away (become antiquated, void, and superseded).

I have no problem with “the sovereigny of God” if that’s what it means, AU. But those with Calvinistic leanings see it as micromanagement. They say nothing happens apart from the will of God.

Ok, well Calvinism doesn’t really hold a lot of truth in the first place to think that their doctrine of Sovereignty even was truthful. :stuck_out_tongue: