The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Jacksonville, FL theology conference in 2013 (TheologyWeb)

My friend (and friendly opponent) Chris Date over at Theopologetics has recently signed up to help Dee Dee Warren, one of the site owners of TheologyWeb.com, begin setting up a theology conference at Jacksonville, FL sometime in 2013.

Chris has volunteered to debate in favor of annihilationism against an ECT proponent (although this hasn’t been solidified yet). The only other topic I know of at the moment is Dee’s debate against Alan Kurschner on preterism/futurism.

The organizers would like to see 250 expressions of possible intent to attend in the next two weeks, or the project won’t get off the ground. If anyone here is interested, one of TWeb’s moderators has more information here on her blog; including links to a form for expressing possible intend to attend. (Or here’s a link to the conference survey directly. )

Jacksonville is about 12 hours on the road from where I am, or a flight, and I have to help manage a small factory, so I myself won’t be attending–unless I’m invited for debate or presentation, of course. :smiley: I’ll see what can be done about that, but other guest authors here (Robin/Gregory, Tom Talbott, Bob Wilson, etc.) may also wish to volunteer for duty.

(A shadowcopy of this thread will be left in the Member Announcement category, by the way, but I’ll be moving it to General Theology until when-if-ever it makes sense to move it somewhere more particular.)

Silly question and IF I owned a map, I’d know the answer… but how far is Jacksonville, FL from Altamonte Springs FL or Orlando? :question: :smiley:

Bret

Jacksonville is in the upper right corner of Florida, but I don’t remember where Altamonte Springs is. I’m thinking Jacksonville is maybe 2.5 - 3 hours from Orlando, but maybe you’d be better off looking at www.googlemaps.com. Plus, the traffic down there has increased by a power of ten, I think, since I lived there, oh, 20 years ago . . . . :wink:

Heh, Jacksonville itself takes a while to get across, too! (It’s one of the three physically largest cities in the US, or was years ago last time I checked. We have one of the other top three in TN, Nashville. Oklahoma City was #1.)

City centers are 140 miles apart. Altemonte is a bit closer (being on the north side of Orlando).

Mapquest rather optimistically calls it a 2 hr 15 minute drive.

I don’t think universalism will be featured at the conference if it happens. However, I would greatly appreciate it if as many of you as possible would consider expressing your interest via the survey and coming out to see the topics that are discussed.

Dee Dee Warren and Alan Kurschner have been unable, as of yet, to find a venue for their preterism vs. futurism debate; this conference would be a great venue for that. What’s more, while EU’s obviously reject annihilationism, nevertheless I get the impression that they have more respect for the exegesis of annihilationism than that of traditionalism, and this conference would give me the opportunity to defend annihilationism in a live formal debate. And besides those debates, there will be speakers and panels on a variety of other topics as well, many more than are listed in the survey.

Please, PLEASE consider making the trek out to Jacksonville for this (I’ll be flying from Washington State), and showing your interest by filling out the above survey within the next week! If sufficient interest isn’t shown, this won’t happen.

Bump! Up to 68 responses, 182 to go, 10 days left!

It looks like over the weekend we received only 9 responses, up to 77 from 68. I’m hopeful that that’s due to people being offline over the weekend.

Remember, a total of 250 responses are needed by a week from tomorrow–that’s 173 to collect in the next 8 days. If you haven’t already filled out the survey, expressing your interest, please do so today!

A number of bloggers have expressed their interest in this conference as well:

Nick Peters: deeperwaters.wordpress.com/2012/05/05/the-perissos-conference/
Glenn Peoples: beretta-online.com/wordpress/2012/theologyweb-perissos-theology-conference/
Mike Felker: apologeticfront.com/2012/05/07/help-my-friend-and-spread-the-word/
Nick Ahern: splitframeofreference.blogspot.com/2012/05/theopologetics-theology-conference.html
Dee Dee Warren: preteristblog.com/?p=5772

Hopefully these blog posts will help spread the word. There’s still a week left to express your interest. Make sure you fill out the survey today!