The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Reformed Universalism

groups.yahoo.com/group/reformed_ … =317710873

Interesting, I should probably join and find out what they think :confused:

Turns out not to have many posts or members, but invited them all along, as they are probably interested :sunglasses:

I think I am a reformed universalist. I think in this life the rule is many are called but few are chosen. But I also believe there is a purpose in the trials all people go through in this life. I dont agree with the notion that the experiences of the non-elect in this life serves no greater purpose.

I believe there are quite a few Reformed Universalists on the forum (wmb2003 and Ricky_13?). I like a lot of Reformed theology and technically I’m still a Presbyterian until someone makes an official ruling on EU.

, I"]I guess the other question is, does “Evangelical” only equal “Reformed”? I honestly don’t know the answer to that :confused: . No offense to Calvinists, but personally I’m suspicious of Calvinism because of Calvin’s personality, his emphasis on ECT & neglect of God’s love in his theology. If “Evangelical” only equals “Reformed”, and if “Reformed” only equals “Calvinism”, then I’m concerned :neutral_face:

However, I’m not denying that the Reformation corrected things that needed correcting. I think much of the Reformed theology is still very good and I hold it. I’m a Trinitarian as I think God has always been love, and loved, and that that implies someone to love, before there was any heavenly or earthly creation. I believe the Bible, correctly understood through the Holy Spirit’s help, is by far the best source of knowledge about Jesus, our King & Saviour. I believe faith is essential (although that should spur us to respond in love for God & others) and that salvation is only possible because of God’s amazing grace. I believe nothing is as glorious as God, and that everyone will eventually freely recognise this and rejoice in praising Him for who He is :sunglasses:

You are right, Alex, I am a Universalist who holds to the Reformeed theological tradition. Also belong to a Presbyteraian church. I belive that EU fulfills God’s sovereingty in salvation. What God declares will be done in the future. While choosing some in space and time for His purpose (LIke Israel, to bring the Messiah to the nations, the prohpets and Apostles to bring u His word, and the Church to bring the Gospel to the nations), He stated in HIs word that All will be saved in Christ, even though all were lost in Adam.

On the other hand I do appreciate that EU can bring unity amogst all Christians, Arminians and Reformed alike as well as denominations and beliefs. In the long run Salvation is th emain goal of God’s plan. An all shall be well.

Hi Ricky! Great to hear. In Denmark, the Lutheranians prevented the Calvinists from getting a foot in. Calvin had some ideas that did not please the very Lutheranian and preaching Danish king Christian III in his days, especially on the eucharist and double predestination. Calvin dedicated one of his books to the Danish king but got no warm response. In the time to come there were “witch trials” against Danish theologians believed to hold Calvinist ideas. At least one guy lost it all and died in poverty and shame. So it’s probably one reason that it’s so hard to speak of the sovereignity of God and predestination in Denmark. (edited a few times)

so sad to hear that. And above all, I believe that it was not necessarily the doctrines of the Reformed faith, but the doctrine of hell that cause all that witch hunt. That is the main reason why I am happy with Universalism, since God loves all, we can live together, in peace regardless of the doctrines. god bless you, always. To make you a story about myself. Shortly before I joined the Presbyterian Church I was invited by a new Lutheran denomination in Puerto Rico to become their pastor. I was sad about it since I had just joined the Presbyterians. I would have joined and help them and become their pastor. I love my Lutheran brothers and sisters!!!

I have an idea that American Calvinists have been crucial in upholding and preserving the Word in modern times. I don’t know if there is anything to it but it seems that way to me.

Btw, you are a blessed man, but you couldnt be pastor to both churches anyway.

I’m not replying to anyone or anything specific but to say perhaps the universalist position is only revealed by God to those HE feels are ready for it.Perhaps an alcoholic needs a greater fear to bring him to repent and enter his process of salvation.
As a child fears a strict but loving parent.I believe that the value of the cross covers all sin even the sin of rejecting Christ in this life.Considering the thief on the cross who asked Jesus to remember him, Jesus did not say to the other one but you are on your way to hell.No he was quiet about his destiny ,He did however, say and Im sure He included the thief railing against Him “Father forgive them for they know not what they do.” If Christ forgives them who can accuse them?
Gods blessing on all. Chistmas would be wonderful if only people knew the value of the sacrifice of Christ the "lamb of God who take away the sin of the “elect” sorry thats not what it says takes away the sin of the world.

I understand what you are saying, but we must let the word of God dictate the way of salvation and not our emotions. I do believe God made us free will beings to choose the gospel or not. Quiet about the other thiefs destiny? I respectfully disagree. Luke 16:19-31 comes to mind…along with him saying “Repent or you will perish” Luke 13:5. Why didn’t Jesus say I will remember you both in paradise? Because he already covered that in Luke 16:19-31 and Luke 13:5.

“Father forgive them for they know not what they do.” Jesus was asking God not to hold the sin( of killing him) against them. Absolutely nothing to do with UR. I’m astonished how UR’s take scripture out of context to make then say what they want them to say. God bless.

I am not arguing the way of salvation,Jesus is the only way. But somehow every knee will bow and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord.I dont claim to know how that will happen .My arguement is like Abraham Lincoln said
“I used to think that it took the
smartest kind of man to preach and defend Universalism; I now think
entirely different. It is the easiest faith to preach that I have ever
heard. There is more proof in its favor, than in any other doctrine I
have ever heard. I have a suit in court here to-morrow and if I had
as much proof in its favor as there is in Universalism, I would go
home, and leave my student to take charge of it, and I should feel
perfectly certain that he would gain it.” Such were his words. "

Repent or you will perish does not need to mean eternal damnation ,if an alcoholic keeps drinking and never repents the alcohol can cause him to perish.Does the fact that Jesus was forgiving those who killed Him make the unrepentant thief any more guilty than those who killed Him were,whats the difference,degree of sin?
The Christmas story says “all families of the earth will be blessed”,It does not say only those families who believe will be blessed.All families, all families.Even those who never heard the gospel.What sin is not covered that Christ died for?Even the sin of rejecting Christ is done from spiritual blindness ,the same blindness that drove those to crucify Christ.
Is not the blood of Christ sufficient to cover the sin of all mankind from Adam through the future,even your’s and mine.

Great words from Mr. Lincoln! Thanks! Unfortunately experience shows the juries are often incredibly biased … I don’t think I’d be quite so confident as he.

Sonia

Yes I see your point about MR.Lincoln leaving it up to a jury, but in his day the extreem liberal laws and “CSI evidence” werent as much a factor as they are today, today there is no black and white only shades of grey.
But the point he made of biblical evidence for universalism is certainly clear, an unbiased mind would have to come to the same conclusion.
Many feel like if you cant scare the"hell " out of people there is no Christian message, If that is all their Christian life is I feel sorry for them.When I talk to folks about Christ my message is enter a relationship with almighty God who loves you,empowers your life to defeat those sins in your life that are destroying you and empowers you to love and forgive.To have a God you can walk with and talk with.As someone has said the christian message is one beggar showing another where he too can find bread.

I came across that group before coming here, but its not active at all. Perhaps those of us who are Calvinist Universalists on this board should all join and revive it… :stuck_out_tongue: Just a thought…

I joined the yahoo group but, like you, I have not seen much movement in it. Roger Tut is the only person who has been writing, leaving thoughts of universalists from the 1700’s and 1800s. We most definite need to bring back this yahoo group alive.

Also, for those who are interested in my univesalist blog, in Spanish, have some patience. I’ve been very busy with lots of things on my plate lately, but do not dismay, I will keep wrigin in the blog very soon.
Grace and Peace.