The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Too busy analysing Scripture to come to Jesus

A thought for you from a friend:

It’s a good thought… only I think I wouldn’t describle the the issue as one of being “too busy” but as one of mistaken priority–putting the Scriptures on a level of higher importance than God himself. But ‘too busy’ isn’t a bad way to describe that: trying so hard to learn ‘about’ God that we’re too busy to learn to know Him.

I’ve been in churches where the written word is practically worshipped. But there’s no ‘magic’ in the words themselves. Life is not found in the written word, but in the Living Word–Christ. And we can learn of him through the scriptures. But it’s not the ‘knowing’ that counts–it only makes us more accountable. If I have all knowledge and know all mysteries, but have not love, I am nothing… Greater love has no man than this: that he lay down his life for his brethren … you are my disciples if you obey my commands … and this is my command: that you love one another as I have loved you …

I’m reminded a little of the letter in Revelation to the church at Ephesus–they were doing all the right “stuff”, yet they had lost their first love.

And this is really something we are all suseptible to–especially if we have a ‘pet doctrine’ … such as universalism … that becomes our entire focus and a point of contention between other believers…but maybe I’m the only one with that temptation. :sunglasses:

Just my .02,
Sonia

Hi Alex,

That’s an interesting post. It takes a lot of work, time, and effort to seriously consider scripture from a perspective different than one’s traditions. And we all have traditions. The contrast that Luke draws between the Thessalonians and the Bereans in Acts 17 speaks to this issue. The Thessalonians listened to Paul but were quick to reject him and his message and were not willing to invest the time and effort it takes to seriously consider a new-to-them doctrine. Luke says though that the Bereans received Paul’s message with “great eagerness” and “diligently studied” scripture to see if Paul’s message was true. Note that they did not study scripture “to prove him wrong”! Sadly, what I’ve run into is this later tendency. Few are willing to truly consider if a new-to-them doctrine is a better understanding of scripture. Most simply do not care, are indifferent, and quickly brush UR off as not likely true and have no desire to consider otherwise.

Some though are immediately opposed to UR and completely closed to even considering its possible veracity. These people often turn and attack the messenger when they cannot quickly dismiss the message - especially if the messenger presents a compelling argument. They are usually filled with fear, afraid that they and others will be misled. And fear “inspires” a person to be irrational, unloving, and feel powerless; so they start casting stones, slinging mud, throwing up irrational arguments and launching personal attacks. Most though just dismiss it as interesting and even possible, but not worth investing the time to study it. They are content with what they believe and have no desire to consider anything radically different from their traditions - minor point yes, but nothing radical. And UR is so outside the box that most believers, especially Evangelicals, do not even know where to start in reconsidering their beliefs - because the doctrine of Hell is so foundational that it’s assumed to be true. It’s a principle world-view.