The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Truths and Lies

This is one scenario—indicating that most people would prefer to buy comforting lies rather than unpleasant truths.

Or the left line might be titled “unpleasant lies” and the right line “comforting truths.” Strangely enough, in that case there may be more people in the left line, ready to buy “unpleasant lies” than there are those in the right to buy “comforting truths.” This may reflect the pessimism of many or most people who expect the worst, who think that the everlasting comforts of love, joy, and peace, are just too good to be true.

Somewhere I once read about a newspaper, that had a policy to only print good news. That is, news that is uplifting, positive and upbeat. But the newspaper went out of business. People liked newspaper stories of crime, violence, sexual immortality, etc., in their daily dose of news. It’s hard to envision what people prefer, without surveying the scientific studies and literature - in a particular category area. But I did love the cartoon!

Yes. Typo. But a funny one, at that.

A shop in my old hometown once put out an add for discount mating and framing. :open_mouth: :confused:

No comment.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

You totally got me, Don! I always struggle with that one for some reason. And I confess it was not I who caught the “mating” thing. But I did think it was hilarious. I worked for the newspaper at the time, reporting civic meetings & etc. and it was their copy editor’s fault – the person who often embarrassed me by “correcting” my stories and messing up my grammar, syntax and occasionally my spelling. I would read through my articles and think, “OhmygoddidIdothat???” But then when I looked back at my file, I realized that no, I did not do that. Somebody changed my copy. :imp: (sigh) It was a long time ago. I should get over that, huh?