The Evangelical Universalist Forum

When Will There Be No Sin?

In Zech 14:11* And men shall dwell in it, and there shall be no more utter destruction; but Jerusalem shall be safely inhabited. 12* And this shall be the plague wherewith the LORD will smite all the people that have fought against Jerusalem; Their flesh shall consume away while they stand upon their feet, and their eyes shall consume away in their holes, and their tongue shall consume away in their mouth. 13* And it shall come to pass in that day, that a great tumult from the LORD shall be among them; and they shall lay hold every one on the hand of his neighbour, and his hand shall rise up against the hand of his neighbour. 14* And Judah also shall fight at Jerusalem; and the wealth of all the heathen round about shall be gathered together, gold, and silver, and apparel, in great abundance. 15* And so shall be the plague of the horse, of the mule, of the camel, and of the ass, and of all the beasts that shall be in these tents, as this plague.
16* And it shall come to pass, that every one that is left of all the nations which came against Jerusalem shall even go up from year to year to worship the King, the LORD of hosts, and to keep the feast of tabernacles. 17* And it shall be, that whoso will not come up * of all the families of the earth unto Jerusalem to worship the King, the LORD of hosts, even upon them shall be no rain. 18* And if the family of Egypt go not up, and come not, that have no rain; there shall be the plague, wherewith the LORD will smite the heathen that come not up to keep the feast of tabernacles. 19* This shall be the punishment of Egypt, and the punishment of all nations that come not up to keep the feast of tabernacles. 20* In that day shall there be upon the bells of the horses, HOLINESS UNTO THE LORD; and the pots in the LORD’S house shall be like the bowls before the altar. 21* Yea, every pot in Jerusalem and in Judah shall be holiness unto the LORD of hosts: and all they that sacrifice shall come and take of them, and seethe therein: and in that day there shall be no more the Canaanite in the house of the LORD of hosts.

For those of us who take such prophecies to be fulfilled in the future, and more or less literally fulfilled, it would seem that after the end of the millennium that outside the city there will be sin.*

I’m moving this out of the “introduction” thread, because it isn’t an introduction of yourself (which you give in another thread here).

Meanwhile, although I would want to check the surrounding context, I currently expect that this is talking about the millennial kingdom after the return of Christ, during the time when Christ is reigning visibly at Jerusalem but there is still a possibility of direct military rebellion against His reign. This would be before the general resurrection (but after the resurrection of the saints who had previously died in Christ) and before the lake of fire judgment, also before the final war against Jerusalem led by Satan.

Afterward I expect there will still be evangelism (per the final chapters of RevJohn), but no more possibility of military rebellions.

Anyway, this prophecy from Zechariah occurs after the Day of YHWH has begun, but (on any account, universalistic or non-universalistic) before there is no more sin. Quite a long time before there is no more sin, if I understand the situation correctly; but there will be people living and operating at this time who will be the resurrected righteous, governing under Christ, and I am supposing (perhaps wrongly?) that they will not sin anymore. I fully expect at least some of them won’t sin anymore, but even Satan fell, so…

In short, God is not yet all in all, in the time and situation shown in this prophecy. :slight_smile: After that there will be no more sin.

Rev 20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. This is the end of Sin and the Grave(death)

The end of sin happens when there is no Law which brings sin to life.

Romans 7:9
Once I was alive, but quite apart from and unconscious of the Law. But when the commandment came, sin lived again and I died (was sentenced by the Law to death).

Romans 8:2
for the law of the Spirit of the life in Christ Jesus did set me free from the law of the sin and of the death.

1 Corinthians 15:56
and the sting of the death [is] the sin, and the power of the sin the law.

It is simple and right there, but nobody realizes we have been free of sin for a long time, and the only place sin exists is for those who insist to continue to submit to the Law (or a law unto themselves).

When a person is justified righteous by faith in Christ as Lord and Saviour. Take Abraham, for example. He was given faith by God as a gift. As soon as he exercised that faith in an action, the action of trusting God when God said to him that his Children and his descendants would be as numerous as the stars in the night-sky, he was justified righteous by God.

Now, righteous means being without sin, sinless. So, as soon as Abraham exercised his God-given faith, he became sinless in God’s eyes in consequence of being justified righteous by God.

He became God’s Friend as soon as he was righteous in God’s eyes. Now, he could not have been God’s friend if he had been a sinner and sinning. Since, he was a servant of Righteousness and no longer a servant of Sin, he could be a Friend of God and of Jesus Christ.

So, when will there be no sin and sinning? During the earthly lifetime of a person, who has exercised their God-given faith by trusting God and Jesus Christ, ie God the Son.

No sin and no sinning is for here and now, in this life. No need to wait until the future if you have faith in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour.

Exactly.

**Romans 3:20-21 **
Therefore no one will be declared righteous in God’s sight by the works of the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of our sin. But now apart from the law the righteousness of God has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify.This righteousness is given through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference between Jew and Gentile.

Romans 4:14-15
For if those who depend on the Law are heirs, faith means nothing and the promise is worthless, because the Law brings wrath. And where there is no Law there is no sin.