The Evangelical Universalist Forum

World to End May 21, 2011 according to Harold Camping

Judgment Day on May 21, 2011

Let’s hope it’s true :wink:

I certainly would like to see God’s loving justice poured out so that sin no longer reigns. I yearn for the day that every knee will bow.

My thoughts?

Well, to be totally honest, Harold Camping is really old and the end of the world for him cannot be too far off. He has a premonition that the end is near and he thinks its for EVERYONE, but I think not.
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT3JH3Mw4tl_ZOK1KF0d3QbHKjk5wyIw13lCpn_vQ6S0mNBuY2_

Whenever I hear a Christian preacher on this “end of the world” bandwagon, I wonder “how gray is his hair? and how is his health holding up?”

When will Christians begin to interpret the Bible with spiritual eyes?
When will we see that the warfare is within?
That the mark of the beast 666 is something every one of us bears in our sinful flesh?
We ALL fall short of perfection.
The beast (who was, and is not, and will not be) is something within ourselves. We need to OVERCOME, to “gain the victory” over this Beast, its image, its mark, its number! Rev 15:2

The way I figure it, when ever someone says “this date is the end of the world” I feel inclined to mark it off as being certainly not the date the world will end. :laughing:

His original creative guess of 1994 made more sense (slightly), since that year would have been 2000 years since Jesus’ birth. (By one reckoning. :slight_smile: )

Charlie Campbell at TruthBomb Apologetics has a good article on the oddities of HC’s approach. (Though CC neatly avoids admitting that the Son didn’t know the day or hour either by quoting GosMatt instead of GosMark. :wink: )

But hey, I can predict that something with virtually 100% certainty (barring a miracle) will happen on May 21, 2011:

at least one person somewhere will die, and will go into the unseen, to be called (sooner or later) before the throne of Justice.

Better to repent now. Being spanked and sent to one’s room may not be hopeless, but neither is it a threat to be blown off as unimportant.

I saw a wanted ad on craigslist: I want your stuff, if you’re planning on being raptured on May 21, and won’t be needing your stuff, call xxxxxxx to have me pick it up.

:mrgreen:

I wonder if he’s gotten any calls…

Sonia

Brilliant!
Thanks Sonia

Someone paid for a billboard in my town for this guy. Got my grand kids all upset… asking me if this is true. So I did some research on this guy and his numbers game.

I have a lot of books in my library on endtime prophecy, numerology and biblical geneology,etc, etc, even looked up as much as I could find in an afternoon on the web. Where did he find his date for the flood 4990BC and Creation 11,013BC? :open_mouth: Did he just pull these out of his hat… His dates are nowhere near any other information that I have.

I’ve thought of this 1 day/1000yr before. The number of man being 6, God giving man 6000 yrs + 1000 yr millinium/ sabbathday of Christ’s reign,… playing with Orthodox Jewish date of 2011= 5771… therefore the age of man would end about 2239CE (6 full millinium) +1000yr/Sabbath = end of days 3239CE …give or take a few centuries :wink:

There could be something with the 50 year of jubilee cycle :unamused:

But I’m ready anytime …Come Lord Jesus come :smiley:

My husband was reading up on it and said there is an Atheist guy who has sold 200 post-rapture pet care insurance policies at about $200 per pet.

One of my facebook friends linked that service awhile back, but not in reference to Camping, I think. :astonished: Well, the guy’s pretty smart anyway.

Sonia

Well, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. So we need only to take note of events next Saturday, and see whether they include the end of the world. And if it does end then, what does that prove? That we should revere Camping as the world’s greatest prophet?

No. I think May 21 will pass like any other date, and be just as eventful or uneventful as the dates which previous “prophets” predicted as the end of the world or the date when Jesus returns. A lot of people sold their goods and property, and waited on a hill top for the return of Christ in 1844. (When He didn’t return, it was then declared that a mistake had been made. He didn’t return to earth, but on the predicted date He “cleansed the heavenly sanctuary”) . Many expected His return in 1914 (when He didn’t return, it was then declared that He returned invisibly and spiritually). I wonder what the backup explanation will be for May 21, 2011.

sorry, but what a nutter. no where in the original link does he spell out the “proof”, just some vague “evidence”.
i’m sure we’ve all read the same passages, and if God was truly conveying that message…more of us would’ve known by now.

funny some of his “signs” involve the moral degradation of the church, which i would argue has not been as loving (and thus truly moral) since the Apostles…it’s taken us 2 millenia to grow up this much, but now we’re not (as a whole) mounting crusades, oppressing women, keeping slaves, etc etc. things are nowhere near perfect, but God has taught us alot!

the gay pride movement? suddenly people are coming out with the truth about themselves, and people are less judgemental, again…that’s fairly biblical…ie honesty AND love both being shown.

i may be wrong, and if i am, then hurrah for Jesus! and i hope UR is right, and God uses my failures and mistakes for good!
but really…if even the Son does not know, how could Mr Harold Camping, a mere man, know?!

LOL Judgment day is supposed to kick off with an enormous earthquake in New Zealand at sunset May 21. I just might turn on my radio to see if he’s on and talking right then! :mrgreen:

Sonia

Now wait, hold on: I’m okay with God bringing the world to an end and all, but The Hobbit is currently filming in New Zealand. We have to have priorities here!

Also, it would be a waste of several good miracles if God nixed the filming and release of The Hobbit. Much of the same crew is working on the Narnian Chronicles, too, prepping for The Magician’s Nephew. I don’t think this Camping guy has done enough research, if he expects me to believe God will zorch the filming of the works of the two most popular Christian authors of the 20th century after the pope! :mrgreen:

(Now, if it was Book 2 of His Dark Materials, I might be prepping for a rapture… :laughing: )

:laughing:
excellent post, mate!

That’s right…we have to have priorities here! :laughing: I luv it :laughing:

On the other hand, judging by the way they mangled The Dawn Treader, maybe He will! :mrgreen:

Sonia

LOL. Not to mention that my daughter’s 6th birthday is on the 22nd. But we’re having the party on the 21st. I’ll have to tell her we’re having her sixth birthday party in honor of the end of the world… :laughing:

Mel,

I’m pretty sure Lars Von Trier’s next film has exactly that plot. :smiling_imp: (Really. No, really!)

:laughing:

happy birthday to your daughter, Melchizedek!

for me, the British Tarantula Society Show is on Sunday, and i’d like to go to that as i’ve been planning for months lol
so selfish, i know… :laughing:

one thing i’m wondering, didn’t Jesus say that “the Son does not know”…if that’s true, does Mr Camping reckon he’s wiser than Christ? or more privileged? how could he, a mere man, know what Jesus, the Son of God does not know?!

also, didn’t the apostles warn people not to give up their day jobs and sell their possessions in the hope that Christ was coming “next Tuesday?”

hmm

also, my limited understanding of Revelation, etc, does not lead me to believe that 200 million “true Christians” will go to Heaven in this rapture thing… for one thing, they didn’t go higher than hundreds of thousands in those days…and the only number i saw was 12,000 from each tribe of Israel being chosen to STAY to evangelise…