The Evangelical Universalist Forum

World to End May 21, 2011 according to Harold Camping

Mel,

I’m pretty sure Lars Von Trier’s next film has exactly that plot. :smiling_imp: (Really. No, really!)

:laughing:

happy birthday to your daughter, Melchizedek!

for me, the British Tarantula Society Show is on Sunday, and i’d like to go to that as i’ve been planning for months lol
so selfish, i know… :laughing:

one thing i’m wondering, didn’t Jesus say that “the Son does not know”…if that’s true, does Mr Camping reckon he’s wiser than Christ? or more privileged? how could he, a mere man, know what Jesus, the Son of God does not know?!

also, didn’t the apostles warn people not to give up their day jobs and sell their possessions in the hope that Christ was coming “next Tuesday?”

hmm

also, my limited understanding of Revelation, etc, does not lead me to believe that 200 million “true Christians” will go to Heaven in this rapture thing… for one thing, they didn’t go higher than hundreds of thousands in those days…and the only number i saw was 12,000 from each tribe of Israel being chosen to STAY to evangelise…

The world can’t end on the 21st, God hasn’t given me the wife I’ve been asking for yet! :stuck_out_tongue:

http://wp.patheos.com/community/bibleandculture/files/2011/05/rapture.png

That is exactly what Jesus and the disciples and all the apostles were talking about in the beginning. People want to believe it will be a universal event in time for all, instead of all experiencing the universal event in their time.

There is only two places in Scripture that speak of no man knowing the day or hour, and it was talking about one’s own physical death. That is when Jesus appears and they are caught up in the cloud with Him.

I have to bow in Gem’s direction for a moment… {bowing} {murmuring} :mrgreen:

All kidding aside: despite the unlikelihood, we should all at least wish tomorrow would be the rapture and the beginning of the Great Judgment, so that God’s will may be at last done on Earth as it is in heaven.

Whether we’re universalists or not, whether universalism is true or not, if we are not looking for the fulfillment of the justice of God, and the coming of Christ, then we’re doing something wrong.

So, let us take this opportunity as a reminder to be penitent of our sins, whether those we have already renounced and left behind, or those we are still being freed from, and cry for the justice of God–to the farthest extents we can see and beyond!

Amen brother… Maranatha!! our Lord cometh! :smiley:

Keep looking up.

I forgot to give my opinion on what is going to happen May 21 at 6:01 pm when the world doesn’t end. (I assume it is 6pm Pacific Time as that is where Camping is from).

He is going to say that just like Jonah, the message was delivered and the people were spared because he had done what God commanded and people all over the world repented and came closer to God. Therefore God has held off his wrath for a time, just as the Scripture say. Something that wasn’t completely understood until after Judgment day was supposed to occur.

nope…lol
he was apparently perplexed:

washingtonpost.com/blogs/und … _blog.html

well if i’d gone absolutely mental and made a prediction like that and gone so far as to believe it, i’d be perplexed too.
all i can say is he got EVERYTHING wrong. there’s no theological defense for that idiot.
sorry, but i am enraged at the arrogance of that man, to presume he knows what Christ claimed not to know. i am enraged that he caused people to give up money towards this farce. i am enraged that he has done damage to the reputation of Christ’s church as well as prophecy. i am also irritated that there was a niggle of doube in my head that said “what if he’s right? or what if i got left behind”

am i looking forward to the End? well maybe i’m doing something wrong, but as i’ve said in a few threads, i’ve not (yet) toppled over the edge into universalism, so for me, the thought of the end means
a) MANY people dying horribly, possibly with no hope of escaping ECT
b) myself being judged unworthy and also earning ECT.
thanks ever so much to my upbringing for brainwashing me into seeing the world with ECT-tinted glasses :imp:

but i am starting to warm towards the ideas of universalism, at least in principle, so maybe my view will change. i did just finish reading TEU’s chapter on Revelation and …wow, i could fall in love with this God over and over

So many of Camping’s followers sold everything to spread the message of judgement - but he didn’t? Why didn’t Camping? Surely that would have been the sensible response?

It is all just very sad. People putting their faith in the wrong person. I’m just prayig they can find the real Jesus in spite of it.

Luke 21. 2,000 years later, what Jesus predicted is true - many will say “the time is near”.

This chapter is sobering.

I remember seeing a book on a friend’s shelf saying the world way going to end in Sept 1994.

The author emphasized that although Matt 24:36 stated you couldn’t know the day
or hour, it didn’t mean you couldn’t know the month and the year :smiley:

All the prophecies are like buds on the trees, sign post along the way, they are there to tell us that the season and the time are coming. cf. luke 21:29-38.

We are warned to stay alert, watch and pray. The only people who will be caught by surprise (believer or unbeliever) are those who are sleeping or their eyes and hearts are focused on the this present world.

Jesus, Paul, Peter and John have given us plenty of sign post. From a post-trib position, don’t worry we’ll know it’s near. Then we must obey our Lord words Lk21:28 Now when these things begin to happen, look up and lift up your heads, because your redemption draws near.

That author, incidently, was also Harold Camping. When the end of the world didn’t happen he instead stated that it marked “the end of the church age”. That is, no one still in a church, any church, can get saved. But those listening on his radio station sure can. :wink:

Stopping The Hobbit filming would be The Great Tribulation in itself.:laughing:

Hi Garfield.
Whilst I share your view to some extent because this world is full of suffering and I long for it to be over, I also remind myself that there might be opportunities in this life that will never come my way again.
Perhaps, when all suffering has ceased, we will never have the opportunity to comfort another soul, never have the chance to heal a wound, never have the chance to express our love with tears of empathy, never be able to show courage by siding with the afflicted, downtrodden underdog regardless of the cost to ourselves.
I need to take these opportunities whilst this world remains but I constantly fail.
May God bless you and your sister in your distress.