Coptic Church and EU

Discussions pertaining to the Church, including it's history.

Coptic Church and EU

Postby URPilgrim » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:35 am

I watched a report on the Coptic Church last night on 60 Minutes and the problems they are facing in Egypt. It went into a little of the history of the church and that got me thinking. Does the Coptic Church hold to a Universal view considering that Origin was one of the founding Fathers of the school in Alexandria? I tried to Google it and Wikipedia, but could not find a clear answer on their view.
If believing that God is loving enough, powerful enough, and wise enough to save ALL of His creation makes me a heretic, then sign me up!
URPilgrim

Re: Coptic Church and EU

Postby Sobornost » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:49 am

I found the following with a Google search

http://www.suscopts.org/q&a/index.php?q ... &catid=183

http://www.copticchurch.net/topics/patr ... ter04.html

The answer seems to be that they don’t appear to believe in UR from the evidence of these websites (but we don’t know if these websites are representatives of all Coptic Christians)

All the best

Dick
Sobornost

Postby Paidion » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:04 pm

My opinion from listening to Coptic Orthodox talks and reading their writings, is that they are hopeful concerning the reconciliation of all people to God, but are not dogmatic about it.

I really recommend listing to Hany Mina Mikhail teaching on the subject of Divine Justice. Here is a link to the first lecture. There are 12 altogether.
Once you listen to the first, you will see the link to the second, and then to the third, and so on.

Hany shows that the Orthodox Church's teaching on Atonement, Justice, etc. is markedly different from that of Roman Catholics and Protestants, both of whose "orthodox" position is that of penal substitution.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D28MWNYGYAU
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 76 years. I am now in my 80th year of life.
Paidion

Postby Sobornost » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:47 pm

That's good :D There is always the possibility that they treat the doctrine with 'reserve' in official pronouncements too (hence the websites I found). I love Coptic religious Art - it's iconic but the figures really look like the Copts I've met (who are handsome looking people with rounded and pleasant features).
Sobornost

Postby URPilgrim » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:51 pm

Thanks Dick and Paidon for the links. I will look some more into it.
If believing that God is loving enough, powerful enough, and wise enough to save ALL of His creation makes me a heretic, then sign me up!
URPilgrim

Return to Ecclesiology