The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Can Love Omnipotent save Satan

Universalism - all humans will be saved - does not address the matter. Some universalists think so.

Col.1:16 For by Him all was created that are in HEAVEN and that are on EARTH, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All was created through Him and for Him.
20 and by Him to reconcile all to Himself, by Him, whether on EARTH or in HEAVEN, having made peace through the blood of His cross.

Phil.2:9 As a result God exalted him and gave him the name that is above every name,
10 so that in the name of Jesus every knee will bow —in heaven and on earth and under the earth—
11 and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father.

For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once upon the end of the eons hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself. (Heb.9:26)

The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world. (Jn.1:29)

When all is subjected to Him, then the Son Himself also will be subjected to the One who subjected all to Him, so that God may be all in all. (1 Cor.15:28)

Ephesians 1:10 as a plan for the fulness of time, to unite all in him, in heaven and on earth.

He who was seated on the throne said, “I am making all new!” Then he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.” (Rev.21:5a)

John speaks of “every creature” & to emphasize this again he repeats “and all that are in them”:

Rev.5:13 And every creature which is in heaven, and on the earth, and under the earth, and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, heard I saying, Blessing, and honour, and glory, and power, be unto him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb for ever and ever.

This worship (v.13) uses the same worshipful words as the redeemed of vs 9-10 use in v.12:

12 Saying with a loud voice, Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honour, and glory, and blessing.

All this being in the context of salvation - “the Lamb that was slain” (v.12 & 13).

“If God doesn’t save Satan, is it because He can’t or doesn’t want to?”
“Is anything impossible for the LORD?” (Gen.18:14)

Matthew 19:26
Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”

Luke 1:37
For nothing will be impossible with God."

Romans 4:21
being fully persuaded that God was able to do what He had promised.

Now to the One being able to do exceedingly above all things that we ask or think (Eph.3:20a)

From Hebrews 2:

Re v.16, the references to “angels” in the context of Hebrews 1 & 2 refers to heavenly angels. God gives them “aid” by all the blessings He bestows upon them, but not via the incarnation of Christ being spoken of in Hebrews 2. Such angels are not fallen, so do not need redemption. So the passage you quoted does not refute Satan’s eventual salvation.

Moreover, if you dig a little deeper, verse 16 is variously translated. For example:

For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham. (KJV)

KJV has “him” [twice] in italics, meaning it isn’t in the original Greek text. Compare:

16 For assuredly it is not taking hold of messengers, but it is taking hold of the seed of Abraham. (Heb.2:16, CLV)
16 for, doubtless, of messengers it doth not lay hold, but of seed of Abraham it layeth hold (YLT)

Some scholars think “it” refers not to Christ but to “death” in the previous verse:

15 and free those who all their lives were held in slavery by their fear of death.

On that interpretation also v.16 does not deny Satan’s salvation.

Or if we accept the versions that translate like KJV:

For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham. (KJV)

That does not deny the salvation of Satan, either.

Angels are spirits. God is Spirit. So God already created angels with a nature like His. Hence there would be no need for Him to take on their nature, since He had already given them His nature.

So there are multiple ways to interpret Heb 2:16 in harmony with the salvation of Satan.

Some versions say “destroyed”, others have “break the power”, “render powerless”, “paralyze”, “make impotent”, “inactivate”, etc.

Since the children have flesh and blood, he too shared in their humanity so that by his death he might break the power of him who holds the power of death–that is, the devil-- (Heb.2:14, NIV)

Therefore, since the children share in flesh and blood, He Himself likewise also partook of the same, that through death He might render powerless him who had the power of death, that is, the devil (NASB)

"I believe the translation “destroyed” can be deceiving. The Greek word here in its lexical form is “ÎșÎ±Ï„Î±ÏÎłÎ”Ï‰â€ (katargeƍ) , whereas the Greek word for "destroy is “Îșαταλυω” (kataluƍ). The root word “argeƍ” in “katargeƍ” means to be idle or inactive. Hence “katargeƍ” means “to render idle or inactive.”

The translation “destroy” would be correct only if it is understood to mean “to render inactive.” It would NOT mean “destroy” in the sense of “annihilate.”"

The devil is a sinner [liar & murderer, Jn.8:44]. So he needs salvation from his sins. He needs those sins to be purged (Heb.1:3) via the blood of Christ in order to be reconciled to His Loving Omnipotent Creator (Col.1:16-20).

Hebrews 1:2 says the Son is heir of all (Satan too?)
Hebrews 1:3 He made purification of sins (Satan’s sins, too?)

Col.1:16 For by Him all was created that are in HEAVEN and that are on EARTH, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All was created through Him and for Him.
20 and by Him to reconcile all to Himself, by Him, whether on EARTH or in HEAVEN, having made peace through the blood of His cross.

Phil.2:9 As a result God exalted him and gave him the name that is above every name,
10 so that in the name of Jesus every knee will bow —in heaven and on earth and under the earth— 11 and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father.

1 Like

If Satan is a personal being (which I think probably he is) and not an anthropomorphic personification only (which I also think he is sometimes used as in certain scriptures) then yes, God’s love can, will and must save even Satan.

2 Likes

“I once heard a child ask if everyone prayed for Satan if he could be saved too. Now I realize this will send some people over the edge, but I thought it one of the most endearing questions I ever heard.”

""I am aware of ‘this pastor’. The verse which hit him like a ton of bricks as he wrestled with a congregant challenging him with Ultimate Reconciliation was the following;

COL 1:20 and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, making peace by the blood of his cross.

As he went through the doorway the Spirit of Truth challenged him saying; “What needs to be reconciled ‘IN HEAVEN’?” After all, nothing in the heavenly realm needs reconciling but demons. :idea: Like the song says; “There is power power in the blood of Jesus.” More power and a better plan, than the nominal church can even believe. To have ears to hear, one must loosen the death grip on what they believe."