something I realized about the prodigal son parable

Discussions on the doctrine of salvation.

something I realized about the prodigal son parable

Postby qaz » Mon May 15, 2017 6:18 pm

Before I became convinced of universal salvation, I used to struggle with the Book of Hebrews chapters 6 and 10, which seem to suggest that if a person goes on sinning after becoming Christian, he is permanently lost. I worried that I'd blown my 'one opportunity' to be saved. Tonight I was thinking about the parable of the prodigal son. Throughout the New Testament, it is stated that only Christians are sons (and daughters) of God. So that would suggest the parable of the prodigal son is a source of comfort for sons and daughters--Christians--who have sinned.
"To believe that God made many of the lower creatures merely for prey, or to be the slaves of a slave ... is to believe in a God who, so far as one portion at least of his creation is concerned, is a demon." -George MacDonald
qaz

Re: something I realized about the prodigal son parable

Postby steve7150 » Mon May 15, 2017 7:30 pm

Throughout the New Testament, it is stated that only Christians are sons (and daughters) of God. So that would suggest the parable of the prodigal son is a source of comfort for sons and daughters--Christians--who have sinned.

The Father did say the son was lost but now he has been found after he repented or came to his senses. So he was lost but had to repent to qualify as being found and it wasn't in the afterlife so don't think this says much about Universalism but is more about the gentiles coming into the kingdom of God. Also i think in Hebrews 6 the phrase "impossible" is hyperbole and not an absolute statement.
steve7150

Postby Gabe Grinstead » Tue May 16, 2017 5:54 am

steve7150 wrote:Throughout the New Testament, it is stated that only Christians are sons (and daughters) of God. So that would suggest the parable of the prodigal son is a source of comfort for sons and daughters--Christians--who have sinned.

The Father did say the son was lost but now he has been found after he repented or came to his senses. So he was lost but had to repent to qualify as being found and it wasn't in the afterlife so don't think this says much about Universalism but is more about the gentiles coming into the kingdom of God. Also i think in Hebrews 6 the phrase "impossible" is hyperbole and not an absolute statement.

But he didn't repent, not really... He 'came to his senses' which indicates life experience, not an evil being turning good. Rather, a human being seeing the choices he made ended up ruining his life, and so now he sees that... But that does that follow that his choices will be perfect from then on? No... It just means what he experience thus far opened his eyes and now can try a different path, under the protection of his father, of course.

Also, I don't think sons and daughters are only those who follow Christ. They have recognized their sonship and are living accordingly... But a son, who doesn't know he is a son, doesn't cease to be a son. When Paul talked about adoption, it wasn't adoption, but a growing into the role of the responsibility of sonship.

Tell me, what did the coin do for itself? did the coin repent? LOL...
Gabe Grinstead

Postby qaz » Tue May 16, 2017 6:17 am

Steve, I agree that it's not about universalism. I believe it's about Christians knowing that if we leave our Father, he will be waiting for us with open arms when we realize the error of our ways. The father in the parable didn't tell the son that he's been permanently cut off from the family.
"To believe that God made many of the lower creatures merely for prey, or to be the slaves of a slave ... is to believe in a God who, so far as one portion at least of his creation is concerned, is a demon." -George MacDonald
qaz

Postby Holy-Fool-P-Zombie » Tue May 16, 2017 7:07 am

I thought I might share the Got Questions, Calvinist spin:

P.S. It should be apparent by now, that I am NOT a Calvinist. But sometimes the Calvinist, can provide us, with a good starting point.
EO and RC Mystical/ Anglican, Holy Fool Theology; Nerdy Satirist; Pragmatist; Inclusivist / Purgatorical Conditionalist;
Contemplation (i.e. Mindfulness, Red Road Healing, Yoga, Zen); Homeopathy, Ayurveda; Chinese Medicine; Prosperity (Joel Osteen) / Full Gospel
Holy-Fool-P-Zombie

Location: Near Chicago or hanging out with Holy Fools, P-Zombies, Guardian Angels and Devil's Advocates

Postby Paidion » Tue May 16, 2017 8:13 am

Gabe wrote:But he didn't repent, not really... He 'came to his senses' which indicates life experience, not an evil being turning good.

Hmmmm... The Greek word that is translated as "repent" is μετανοεω (metanoeō) which literally means "to have a change of mind."
Clearly the prodigal son changed his mind about his way of living, and went home to his father where he was welcomed. In his joy, his father even threw a party for this son who had gone astray.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 76 years. I am now in my 80th year of life.
Paidion

Return to Soteriology