The Evangelical Universalist Forum

The true cause of RELIGIOUS EVIL

Hello folks.

A widespread opinion in the Western World is the conviction that religious beliefs (IN GENERAL) are the logical and direct causes of atrocities.
I think this is terribly misguided and that the cause of RELIGIOUS EVIL lies in specific beliefs about God or the gods.

I think that the case of MARK DRISCOLL, the hardcore fundamentalist pastor of a mega Church illustrates very nicely this principle.
lotharlorraine.wordpress.com/201 … us-evil-3/

I’d be glad to read your thoughts on this and learn whether or not you agree with my analysis.

Friendly greetings to all of you!

“Therefore I run in such a way, as not without aim; I box in such a way, as not beating the air; 27 but I discipline my body and make it my slave, so that, after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified.” - I Cor. 9:26-27

The idea that we should forgive pastor and teachers so that they could go back to preaching the gospel is abhorrant to me. God doesn’t need disqualified preachers. He can raise up rock to sing His praises. Pastor are held to high standards for a reason. They are to be an example. And any pastor who is involved in gross or negligent sin should not be preaching any longer. They can certainly serve the Lord in other areas, after being restored, but they cannot be a leader.

A person’s conception of God will affect how they will behave, certainly, even emulating the judgment and condemnation they believe God should mete out to evildoers. But I feel that people who subject others to religious abuse aren’t necessarily doing it because they believe they are doing favors for God. They are doing it because it give them a sense of power to control. They develop a superiority complex over those they supposedly shepherd and think of themselves higher than they should. The higher they climb that pedestal, the more dangerous they become, and the harder they will fall.

^^ Tend to agree; “Let his place be taken by another” doesn’t mean things are necessarily hopeless for Iscariot, but he doesn’t get to be an apostle anymore.

I think all attrocities and evil are rooted in our selfishness; religion just happens to be a cloak that people put on over their selfishness. Selfish ambition, self-righteousness, self-fulfillment, even fear is rooted in selfishness. People’s twisted beliefs about God feed into and off of our selfishness. Dying to self is the only path to living in love, peace, joy, wholeness.

I haven’t watched the video link but will when I get a chance.

So true Sherman, so true. It all breaks down to sectarianism… the THEM / US divide; something the religious mentality to be sure fosters well.

I think St. James nailed it: "1 Where do you think all these appalling wars and quarrels come from? Do you think they just happen? Think again. They come about because you want your own way, and fight for it deep inside yourselves. 2 You lust for what you don’t have and are willing to kill to get it. You want what isn’t yours and will risk violence to get your hands on it. 3 And why not? Because you know you’d be asking for what you have no right to. You’re spoiled children, each wanting your own way. 4 You’re cheating on God. If all you want is your own way, flirting with the world every chance you get, you end up enemies of God and his way. 5 And do you suppose God doesn’t care? The proverb has it that “he’s a fiercely jealous lover.” 6 And what he gives in love is far better than anything else you’ll find. It’s common knowledge that “God goes against the willful proud; God gives grace to the willing humble.” 7 So let God work his will in you. Yell a loud no to the Devil and watch him scamper. 8 Say a quiet yes to God and he’ll be there in no time. Quit dabbling in sin. Purify your inner life. Quit playing the field. 9 Hit bottom, and cry your eyes out. The fun and games are over. Get serious, really serious. 10 Get down on your knees before the Master; it’s the only way you’ll get on your feet. "