The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Where and how do you seek God? Or are you an idol worshiper?

Where and how do you seek God? Or are you an idol worshiper?

There are so many Gods and Goddesses in forums today that these places begin to look as in the days of Babel. Two camps do seem to be forming though. Those who seek on the left and and those who have found on the right.

Which camp are you in?

If you seek God, where are you looking?

If you have found your God, please supply a name. Show me yours and I will show you mine.

Regards
DL

P.S. Gnosis is knowledge that leads to wisdom. Wisdom is Sophia in our myths. She has faith in you finding her. Thank God Eve ate and Adam had the good sense to do as told and eat as well.

It’s a strange question, but I’d say i’m an idle worshiper as i’d rather sit and meditate on God than stand for hours like at some churches. But different strokes for different folks.
Hope that helps!

Here’s my short answer (and showing you my God :wink: ):

I wasn’t exactly sure where to put this thread – Christology didn’t seem quite right; considering the author and his purposes Biblical Theology didn’t seem right. We don’t have a category for hortatory rhetoric (and I’m saying that in a neutral way, though I realize it doesn’t sound like it). Philosophy seemed likely the closest.

I’m willing to move the topic somewhere else, though, if a decent case can be made for it.

(I mention this mainly because we had to mod the topic when it was posted early last week along with another topic, and I’ve forgotten where GB originally posted it. I should have made a note at the time; sorry GB. At least adding a release notice will pop it back near the top of the active list.)

Concerning being an idol worshiper.

Many years ago while in a seminary class we were discussing the growing eccumenical movement in the church, the trend of churches setting aside their doctrinal differences and embracing one another as family in Christ and working together for the good of their communities, something I find wonderfully refreshing. I was fortunate to be attending an interdenominational seminary and had in that class family from many different denominations. One of the brothers though was having an extremely difficult time with the subject and said, almost screemed:

“I just want to know one thing! Where do you draw the line doctrinally when deciding who to consider as a brother in Christ or not a brother in Christ. For example, look at the Catholics! They pray to Mary! They worship Idols! They baptize babies! Where dow one draw the line?!!!”

I immediately heard the Spirit reply, but being new to “prophecying” in such a context, I didn’t say anything. The class was quiet for a few minutes and no one replied to the man’s passionate outburst, not even the professor. The class continued on and eventually changed, but the question and what I heard the Spirit stayed with me. The class was on a Monday and would reconvene on Wednesday. For the next two days, the word from the Spirit kept ringing in my ears; it was a “fire shut up in my bones” as has been said. So I determined I’d share what I believed I heard the Spirit say durning the next class period, Wednesday. Class began, I raised my hands and said:

“Everyone likely recalls during the last class period a question was asked concerning where one draws the line doctrinally in considering someone a brother in Christ, and the question was unanswered. Well, in response to that question, I heard the Spirit say: ‘1st I look on the heart! and 2ndly you All have idols in your heart!’”

For me, this answered the question profoundly. It’s not a matter of doctrine, it’s a matter of one’s heart. Is it loving God and loving people. If it is then the doctrine will work itself out eventually. I mean, Jesus didn’t say that in order to be considered one of his disciples one must profess a certain set of doctrines. Rather, He said to the fisherman, tax collector, theif, and pious alike, “Come follow me.” They argued, they fussed, they jockeyed for position, they… And yet the Lord did not reject or exclude a one. So who do we think we are to exclude others because they misunderstand God differently than we misunderstand God!

That’s excellent Sherman! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Sonia

Yay, Sherman that has the ring of the Holy Spirit about it :smiley: Chris

Sherman

This is what Gnostic writings say and yes, they do not talk of doctrines.

On Righteousness

The rightousness of God is a kind of sharing along with equality. There is equality in the heaven which is stretched out in all directions and contains the entire earth in its circle. The night reveals all the stars equally.

gnosis.org/library/ephip.htm

We believe that any belief system can be internalized and help open the third eye.

Aside from that, we do examine various doctrines for morality and have no problem commenting and judging on them. We also judge our own.

Regards
DL