The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Am I a universalist?

Hello folks.

I don’t view myself as a universalist.
Yet when I explain my views to conservative Evangelicals, they often “accuse” me to be a universalist.
Does someone here know why this is the case?

Otherwise, I really love this forum and there are certainly many other topics I would like to explore with you in the future.

Cheers from Europe.

Hi Lothar, and welcome! :smiley:

I recognize your name from Randal Rauser’s blog and have enjoyed your thoughtful comments there, though I don’t post myself. Too many bickering atheists for my taste… :wink: From what you’ve written, I think you would be considered a “hopeful” universalist. Have you read any of Tom Talbott’s work? As one who apparently likes philosophy (following Randal Rauser) you might be interested in reading some of Tom’s work, if you haven’t already. This is a good place to startwillamette.edu/~ttalbott/Universalism.pdf His book The Inescapable Love of God is a classic as well.

All the best,

Steve

Hi Lothar and welcome.
My reading of your article makes me believe that you are an Arminian annihilationist. I don’t see why anyone would imagine you to be a universalist at present.
God bless.

Hi Lothar and John,

You’re “probably” right, John. :smiley: I focused on the word “probably” which seems to represent some hope of salvation for all.

All the best,
Steve

My guess is that people didn’t really examine your position. They focused on the following line:

For many people, if one has his sins forgiven, he will go to heaven. Thus I think when people examined this statement, they presumed that since you indicate that God will forgive everyone’s sin eventually, then everyone will go to heaven.

Sorry steve, I see it myself now. You made a good call.
:blush:

Maybe he’s a Lewisian annihilationsist? God does forgive everyone’s sin (and not eventually, as though He isn’t forgiving their sins now), but people still reject God permanently and God cannot save them. Then God authoritatively annihilates them (though He has forgiven their sins, because He still cannot save them from their sins) or they annihilate themselves (against God’s capability to keep them in existence)?

I’m super-busy this morning and haven’t read Lotharson’s link yet, other than the bits quoted here; but I’m a Lewisian theologian, so I’m extremely familiar with his positions on the topic (he’d go for authoritative annihilation), and what little I’ve read so far sounds similar. :confused:

I’ll have to get around to your post later today, L. :slight_smile:

Hello folks, thanks for your answers!