The Evangelical Universalist Forum

John Scotus

I don’t know exactly where to post this, but does anyone actually know what John Scotus taught concerning the final state of the non-elect?

He’s been called a universalist, but was he?

He seems to have believed in some kind of universal restoration, but he also seems to have believed that some would have to live with the phatoms of their own evil acts forever ( I’m unclear as to whether he believed that immortality would finally be a blessing or a curse for the later. :confused: )

Anyone have any idea what he did actually believed???

I haven’t bothered checking much into him, because he is also notorious for being anti-rational in his approach to theology. (Whether he deserves that reputation or not, I can’t honestly say–see previous sentence. :wink: )

Is Gregory around? John Scotus would be an excellent subject for the research anthology project he’s overseeing–he definitely has a reputation as a universalistic theologian (highly influenced, or at least highly similar to, Eastern Orthodoxy.) Is Scotus on the list of essays?

He does seem to have believed in a form of universalism

nndb.com/people/756/000095471/

But it’s unclear whether he believed all would attain to the beatific vision

archive.org/stream/apolloniu … t_djvu.txt

Whatever his faults, John Scotus lived and taught in the western church of the 10th century ( apparently without any immediate censure ), and that alone makes him interesting to me.

If you ( Gregory, or others ) can provide further information regarding the substance of his teaching, I would greatly appreciate it.

Pax.