The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Law and Justice

Cindy, in another thread, pointed out that

This reminded me of something I wrote years ago in one of those science fiction novels that seemed like a good idea at the time, but never got finished. Craig is a spaceship captain, Regina has forced her way onto the ship, trying to get to its destination. The officers have just found out that there is someone with her brother’s name in hospital on the destination planet.

It’s true that what you believe influences what you write. In this extract Craig has done exactly what I think God would do. The law says that we are all sinners and destined for punishment , just as law in the extract says that Craig says that he must take Regina back to Earth to face charges for stealing and then crashing a very expensive spaceship. But Craig is just, and realises that it would be an injustice not to let her donate the few cells needed to save her brother’s life, even at the cost of ending his career as a spaceship captain. In the same way God is just, and realises that it would be wrong for us to be punished for things beyond our control, even at the cost of his son’s life.

I’ve just noticed that this also explodes the notion of PSA. Craig is not taking Regina’s crime on himself, he is doing something practical to cancel the result of her sins at great personal cost.

Good point, Wormwood. Really great illustration. :smiley:

Well written, too!