The Evangelical Universalist Forum

I need a hero- one who can debate a very clever philosopher.

Hi guys. Is there anyone on here who is very good at philosphical debates, the kind you get between atheists and Christians?

They’re both too modest to put themselves up, so I’ll do it for them, Catherine:

Jason and Dick (Sobornorst) would be my picks. Jason has debated before, I know, and his Biblical and philosophical knowledge are fantastic. Dick is the best read and most erudite Christian I know. He’s also a supremely good bloke. However, I also know that he is very tied up in full-time caring for his sick mother at the moment.

I guess too either Thomas Talbott or Robin Parry would be brilliant for this sort of thing, but both of them are very, very busy - so far as I know Dr Talbott hasn’t posted here for more than a year, and Robin shows up but rarely. But you could always ask them.

But if you *really *want to scrape the barrel, and I wouldn’t advise it :smiley: , I like nothing better than a good old philosophical ding-dong :smiley: . I have debated a Calvinist on this forum, and he disappeared with his tail between his legs. Sort of. Seriously, I would be delighted to offer my services, such as they are. I am not a philosopher, or a theologian, but I have at least read and listended to and thought about apologetics a lot. A real philosopher would eat me for breakfast and still have room for three Shredded Wheat. But I’ve got a big head and a thick skin, so I’m game! Probably! :smiley:

All the best

Johnny

Well, I might be able to help, although time and accessibility may become problems. (I can’t do anything on Facebook or pretty much any social media service I know about.) :slight_smile:

Thanks for the recommendation btw, Johnny. :smiley:

Yehh :smiley: Thanks so much guys. I’ll pm you both with the plan… :wink:

I’d be willing to offer my services, depending on the topic of discussion and the nature of the debate. :wink:

Though I do get burned out on debating rather quickly, and usually end up writing out some impassioned speech before shaking the dust of my feet and riding off into the sunset. Come back, Shane! :laughing:

So maybe Jason and Johnny might be better. :wink:

:smiley: I’ll let you know if I need your kind services. :wink: Many thanks for offering.

Cahterine - the boys are verily falling over each other to champion you in the lists. Johnny ‘mad-dog’ Parker, Jason the mean axeman, and Matt the knife - I dunno :unamused: :wink: . ONly joking!!! :laughing: As for me, I am a bit tired and I’m a bit of softie. But whoever takes on the clever philosopher, if you need to ‘phone a friend’ over a History of Ideas’ matter do drop me a line and I’ll be happy to help if I can (I’m trying to say this with a deep, husky and polemical voice - but the offer is serious).

can I enquire as to the exact topic at hand ?

Oh, a typical debate about faith- is it ‘irrational’? As Johnny as rightly pointed out, this kind of debate has been going on now for centuries. :wink:

Hey Dick, many thanks kind sir. :laughing:

both systems of belief are faith based !, only question is which one has more of an element of evidence to rationally support it !

any links ? not that I’m volunteering !