The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Children of God?

Are we all children of God, by being human? Or do we only become a child of God when we believe?
I was wondering because I saw on our church statement, about becoming a child of God through believing on Christ, and they had the verse for 1st John? about all who received him and believed on him, God gave them the right to be children of God.

MT

Eph 4:6One God and Father of all,
who [is] above all, and through
all, and in you all.

It may depend on the Greek word used for children in each case. There is a difference between huios and teknon.

I believe we are all teknon, but at least for the time being, only the firstfruits are huios.

I think this passage is discussing those who are called. Not the whole world…

Speaking to the Greek pagans, Paul called everyone the children (***genos***1085: offspring, descendants) of God in Acts 17:29. In Ephesians 3:14-15, Paul calls “every family” a family by virtue of its relationship with divine paternity in Yahweh. The author of Hebrews (12:9) draws a parallel between earthly fathers and God the Father, writing that Yahweh is the “Father of spirits” (or lives – ***pneumatōn***4150), which I take to imply all spirits.

Though I think there is an obvious relational difference between being a “nonbelieving” child of God, made in His image and a “believing” child of God, conformed/conforming to His image.

Hi Michael,

I think Scripture teaches that there are different senses in which human beings can be called “children of God.” All human beings are, I believe, God’s children or offspring by virtue of being made in his image, and we are all the objects of his paternal love. The kindred bond that came into existence when God made us could not be broken without us ceasing to be human. But there is another, secondary sense in which certain human beings are said to be “children of God” or “sons of God,” and on which the NT puts special emphasis. When we are reconciled to God and begin to more closely resemble him in our character and actions, we become “children” or “sons” of God in a sense that we were not before (Mt. 5:43-45; 1 John 4:7). God - who was already our Father by virtue of our creation - becomes our Father by virtue of begetting within us a new “spirit” or mental disposition (John 3:3-8). In contrast to those who have, by faith in Christ, become “children of God” (John 1:12-13), the unbelieving Jews were said to be (in a figurative sense) “children of the devil” (John 8:42-47). Rather than resembling God in their spirit, they instead resembled the “devil” (i.e., the lying and murderous “serpent” that deceived Eve in the garden).

For more on my understand of the Fatherhood of God, you can check out the following thread: The Universal Fatherhood of God

In line with what others have posted, I’ve come to believe that we “must become the children that we are”.

By this I mean that we are children in the sense that God is the source of our life, our creator, we have originated in Him and for Him. But, until we realize this, and live for Him, we have not fully realized our “sonship”.

Eph 3:14,15

Paul to the Areopogas… Acts 17:22-29

George MacDonald had some interesting thoughts on sonship… I love his writing (even though it usually makes my brain hurt). The excerpt I’m attaching here leads up to what it means to be a true “son of God”.

God Bless! :smiley:
-AaronK (sorry to post right after Aaron… gets a bit confusing with both of us in the same thread :confused: )
God Creator of the Will.doc (38 KB)

The word all (pantOn) in Eph 4:6 is no different than the word all in 1Tim 4:10. It is quite simple actually. I believe when God created Man in His image, He created His intire family. I look forward to our first family reunion.

Thanks for the replies everyone! I am trying to rebuild my faith in a loving Father.
Since my name is not in scripture, and I am not sure I am a true believer, my only hope is if all humans are God’s children.
Then I can say, All humans are God’s children, I am a human, therefore I am a child of God, and He is my Father! :smiley:

you may have alot of doubts and questions, but the fact you are seeking says to me (even if i were to cast my mind back to my old standard evangelical days) that you are already his child. seek and ye shall find :slight_smile:

But Paul isn’t talking about “all men” in Ephesians 4:6. The context clearly restricts the “all”, just as it restricts “aionios” elsewhere. Paul writes:

“I, therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you [dear “saints who are at Ephesus”] to walk worthy of the calling with which you were called … endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. There is one body [of Christ] and one Spirit [life], just as you [dear saints] were called in one hope of your calling; one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you [dear saints] all.”
He continues his epistle while remaining in the context of believers and their ministry. There is no reason to assume he is talking to or about everyone who has ever lived in one random sentence amidst a single admonishment. So in this context, Paul must be talking about a present reality for believers: they are one holy and catholic church, with one Lord, one faith, and one baptism, regardless of the different denominational modes. He is encouraging them to “keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace” to avoid schisms (a strong pattern in Paul’s work). Why should this unity be preserved? Because Yahweh is the Father of all (who have one Lord, one faith and one baptism); this says nothing of nonbelievers, although it can be argued from elsewhere. So yeah, I do agree that Yahweh is the Father of everyone – it is truly one of my stronger convictions (hence my moniker) :slight_smile: but I don’t think Paul is saying this here. If universalism is true (and I suspect it might be), I look forward to our first big reunion too :smiley:

Our God is certainly a loving Father, brother! (This much I know). I wish you the very best in your searching!

Brother, it takes someone who believes in the universal salvation of all mankind to see that Paul was speaking about all mankind as God’s children in Ephs 4:6. A few years back, I would of taken your side. But I believe the Holy spirit has put it in my heart, that all mankind our my siblings. I didn’t need Ephs 4:6 to prove to me that we are all one with our Father in heaven and we are His children. I feel it in my heart.

That’s a good point, but I think it holds true more for those who already hold to non-universalist religious positions, rather than those with more agnostic and irreligious views. Until a person is at least open to believing that God will do for all people what most Christians have historically believed he will do only for those who believe before they die, I think it will be difficult (if not impossible) to convince them of the universal Fatherhood of God from Scripture.

No, we are all not children of God. Human beings are God’s creation by being descendants of Adam but you must be born into the family of God. John 1:12; John 8:40-47; Gal 3:26; 1Pet 1:23. :smiley:

I believe it’s a double meaning… 1 part, all are children; another part, all who love God (w/e that means) are children.

You can’t be God’s offspring unless you are born with his nature. Human beings since the fall have not been born with God’s nature. ( the reason why we need to be born again spiritually) :wink: :smiley:

I generally believe humans were called sons of God early on (seems to be so in Genesis), and that was a strictly creation-tied definition.

The definition you’re talking about is the second one.

And please cut it with the smileys. I find that disrespectful both towards me and towards God. This is not a game.

No one in the OT could be born again and receive God’s nature therefore not literally his children. Believe what you want, Bird. And using similes is not disrespectful. You are entitled to your opinion. Someone that is searching for answers you seem to act like you know it all, girlfriend. God bless. :smiley:

Aaron,

You suggest that the unsaved “can’t be God’s offspring.” How then can you agree with Scripture’s apostle in Acts 17:28 that the pagan poets were quite right in affirming that they “were also God’s offspring”?

I don’t understand why you called one of the members “girlfriend.” What meaning were you communicating by choosing this label**?** Thanks in advance for clarifying your thinking.

1 When man began to multiply on the face of the land and daughters were born to them, 2 the sons of God saw that the daughters of man were attractive. And they took as their wives any they chose. 3 Then the LORD said, “My Spirit shall not abide in man forever, for he is flesh: his days shall be 120 years.” 4 The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of man and they bore children to them. These were the mighty men who were of old, the men of renown. [Genesis 6:1-4|ESV]

Can you please stop telling God what to be already?

I guess I’ll start calling him boyfriend from now on. :laughing: