The Evangelical Universalist Forum

''what is truth''

quiet possibly the most profound question ever uttered by man ! not just any either but Pilate himself no less ,he perhaps didn’t even realise just how profound a question . I almost get the impression that post-modernism existed back then as well :laughing:
but it is with-out a doubt a very valid question ,so just how do you arrive at what is true ? ,to what extent does reason come into it ? * , can we ever arrive at a consensus ?
is an arrival of total truth [knowing and accepting the truth on all given topics] even possible in the here and now ?
but given the almost endless variables like upbringing ,culture ,personality ,philosophical dispositions ,indoctrination , and human nature, it seems Nye-on impossible .

for me anyone even seeming to suggest that truth doesn’t matter makes me rather suspicious !
so what is truth and just how important is it ? , to some it’s the be all and end all, yet to others their approach seems to be decidedly fluid to say the least !**

Truth brings peace and joy to us anf the unbeliever.

I am the way the truth and the life. Thy word(logos) is truth. The logos is truth, God is true while every man is a liar

emeth H0571
Faithfulness, steadfastness, unwavering all are more descriptive in the Hebrew, there doesn’t seem to be a word for truth like alethia in the greek.

Maybe prior to the logos coming down there was no objective measure. As the father is the unseen, there doesn’t seem to be a direct word for truth. then when the logos (the seen)became flesh we get an actual word for truth? (I know the languages are different in that hebrew is an action oriented language, where greek is more abstract?)

Pilate: What is truth?
The Truth stood before him!

Michael Witty
Barcelona

Amen, Michael. You beat me to it! There is no truth but Jesus – He’s the truth, the whole truth and everything about the truth. If we keep following Him, we WILL know the truth, and as we know Him, He will set us free.

years ago I had a Christian man say to me all truth is from GOD no matter what the source , I remember thinking huh what is he on about ? now I understand !, take this statement for example

‘‘the lie can be maintained only for such time as the state can shield the people from the political , economic and or
military consequences of the lie. it thus becomes vitally important for the state to use all of it’s powers to repress dissent , for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie , and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the state’’

this was spoken by one of the evilest men ever , can any of you name him ?

I wonder just how the truth of u.r. fits with-in the scope of this ?

Goebbels

boy your quick off the mark ! :wink: point being even though an evil man said it , it’s still a true statement !
but back to the question in the context of theology , just how solid can one be with theological assertions ?
I’m all for allowing room to move even on major issues but at some point you must draw the line ?

Yehovah is truth.
Torah is truth.
Yeshua is truth.
The Holy Spirit is truth.
All that God speaks is truth, including creation.
All that God is, is truth. True wisdom, true justice, true love, true righteousness, true knowledge . . . .
All that comes from Him is truth.

I don’t too much disagree , but again just how do we arrive at what is true doctrinally still leaving room for divergent opinions ?

For one “for I have not given you a spirit of fear, but of power and love and discipline” If the doctrine strikes fear into your heart it is not of God, so that disqualifies ECT.

The letter kills, but the spirit gives life. To be carnally minded is death but spiritually minded is life.

We need to be lead of the spirit. That is the main thing I think.

I think you are right, RHM. We do need to be led by the Spirit in truth but, like Stuartd, I question what it means. Everyone says they follow the spirit. Could you elaborate?

I was hoping someone could tell me :laughing:

I’m trying to learn to listen instead of just think or reason. Listen to the small voice. I can say that for me that voice doesn’t come from my head but actually from my heart. And I’m not just saying that in a trite way. I actually feel it from my chest.

Hmmm, that is interesting. I am a dreamer and I have visions. I do hear and see in the Spirit. I sort of vibrate when the Spirit of God visits me (besides speaking from inside). Is this what it means to be led in the Spirit?
I guess my question would be, is this how it works for everyone? And, is it an accurate way to gauge truth? I don’t know. I don’t even always understand what is being said or what God is showing me. Sometimes I don’t understand what I am saying in prayer. What do you all think?

I would say so, but I’m no expert. young men will dream dreams and old men will have visions.

Hahaha! What about old women?

If you have dreams and visions does it make you middle aged? :wink:

judging by your picture I’d put you at late thirties btw

I don’t think so, I had them as a young adult too. :laughing:

Gosh, your a great guy, RHM! I’m older than that. :smiley: