The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Progressive Revelation

There are many that say God’s word is a progressive revelation. Individually, yes I would agree that we grow in God’s word. However, collectively, I don’t see this progressive revelation taking place. I believe God revealed His word to man in the beginning. Obviously, Abel knew the way of righteousness. In Genesis 4:24, Lamech says “If Cain can be avenged( vindicated/ cleared of blame/forgiven) sevenfold, then Lamech seventy- sevenfold.” There was no need to sacrifice an animal for God to forgive Cain. When Peter asked Jesus how many times we should forgive a brother who sins against us, Jesus says the same thing, seventy times seven. Again, no animal sacrifice was necessary.
Genesis 26:12 says “Then Isaac sowed the seed(the seed being the word of God) in that land and reaped in the same year a hundredfold, and the Lord blessed him.”
Joseph knew the way as Genesis 4:37-39 says “And Pharaoh said to his servants, “Can we find such a one as this, a man in whom is the Spirit of God?” Then Pharaoh said to Joseph, “insomuch as God has shown you all this, there is no one as discerning and wise as you.”
Genesis 45:7 " And God sent me before you to preserve a posterity for you in the earth, and to save your lives by a great deliverance.”
Genesis 47:23 “Now here is seed( the word of God) for you, and you shall sow the land.”

1 Corinthians 10:2-3 tells us that all those delivered from the land of Egypt “were all baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea. They all ate the same spiritual food( the bread of heaven) and drank the same spiritual drink(the living water).”

Psalm 78:1-4 says “Give ear, O My people, to My law; Incline your ears to the words of my mouth. I will open My mouth in a parable; I will utter dark sayings of old, which we have heard and known, and our fathers have told us. We will not hide them from their children, telling to the generation to come the praises of the Lord, and his strength and His wonderful works that He has done.”

But as the preacher in Eccl. 1:4 says One generation passes away and another generation comes but the earth abides forever."
Eccl. 1:11 “There is no remembrance of former things nor will there be remembrance of things that are to come by those who will come after.”