The Evangelical Universalist Forum

A Christian Response To North Korea

A Christian Response To North Korea

If you are seeing what I am seeing, the USA is on a collision course with The Democratic People’s Republic of North Korea.

Last Saturday, the UN Security Council voted unanimously for new sanctions against North Korea, to punish the regime for developing ballistic missiles that could reach Japan and the United States. Nevertheless, Pyongyang immediately threatened a ‘thousands-fold’ revenge specifically against the US, because of those sanctions. And President Trump is taking Kim Jong-un’s threats very seriously.

There has been a great deal of technological exchange between the North Koreans, the Iranians, the Russians, and the Chinese. There are fears Pyongyang has secretly developed the ability to detonate a high-altitude nuclear weapon in space, setting off an EMP that would knock out electrical systems down below, with catastrophic results. NK currently has satellites orbiting above the United States, which could hold an explosive payload.

So, should Trump make a preemptive attack against NK (and its space satellites)? Or should he just “wait and see”?

But wait. Should we Christians even be thinking that way??

We are to love our enemies (Matthew 5:44. Luke 6:27, 35). God loves North Korean communists as much as he loves capitalist, Christian Americans. Jesus died for all.

So, what can we Christians do to improve the situation?

First, Jesus warned that the devil *“is a liar and the father of lies” *(Jn. 8:44). The antidote to deceit is truth. The most fundamental spiritual battle for Christians is to reject lies about God’s nature, and to promote the truth about what He is really like.

Regarding God’s true nature, please see, "Is God Violent, Or Nonviolent?” at
[Is God Violent, Or Nonviolent?)

Then, God *does not want *the Body of Christ to have a passive, spectator, fatalistic, victim mentality, either. He wants us to fight. Jesus has given us the keys of the kingdom:

*“And I will give to thee the keys of the reign of the heavens,
and whatever thou mayest bind upon the earth shall be, having been bound in the heavens,
and whatever thou mayest loose upon the earth shall be, having been loosed in the heavens.” * Matthew 16:19. YLT.
God wants it to be ‘on earth, as it is in heaven.’ Jesus taught us to pray in the imperative mood (Matthew 6:10, Luke 11:2). We are to bind and cast out death and curses, and we are to loose and proclaim life and blessings.

That means the real battle is against demons, not human beings; and our weapons are binding and loosing in Jesus’ name, not bombs. **So, let us Christians ‘not neglect our so great a salvation’! **(Hebrews 2:3.) God has ‘good, pleasing, and perfect’ plans for the people of North Korea that He wants fulfilled. Let us bind and cast down evil spirits over Pyongyang, and loose the proclamation of the gospel. Let us pray for laborers to enter that harvest field. And let us command the peaceful reunification of the two Koreas. "All things are possible to him who believes.” Mark 9:23.

I don’t know if you have seen the new movie, Dunkirk, but there is a story-behind-the-story of that battle, relevant to this topic.

“The Dunkirk evacuation, code-named Operation Dynamo and also known as** the Miracle of Dunkirk**, was the evacuation of Allied soldiers during World War II from the beaches and harbour of Dunkirk, in the north of France, between 26 May and 4 June 1940." Wikipedia.
Rees Howells (1879-1950) was a Welsh coal miner, who became a Christian, and a great intercessor. He later prayed in the money for, founded, and directed, the Bible College of Wales.

By WW2, he was prophetically hearing from God on a regular basis about how to pray for the war effort. He would hear things he believed to be from God, and share them for prayer (recorded in the daily journal of the Bible college), often before the public heard anything on the radio, or read anything in the newspapers, about the coming events.

The minutes of the Bible College include prayers for a miracle at Dunkirk. Here is a short excerpt from his biography (REES HOWELLS, INTERCESSOR), written by his son-in-law, regarding the Battle of El Alamein in North Africa, between the British army and Rommel’s Panzerarmee Afrika:

Here’s an idea I’ve shared - on another forum thread here:

I came up with the PERFECT solution, for Kim Jong-un and North Korea. President Trump should open up a US consulate in North Korea. And appoint Dennis Rodman, as the US ambassador (or equivalent consulate title) to North Korea. It would solve ALL our problems.

Brother, I think once was enough. :confused:

I came up with the PERFECT solution, for Kim Jong-un and North Korea. President Trump should open up a US consulate in North Korea. And appoint Dennis Rodman, as the US ambassador (or equivalent consulate title) to North Korea. It would solve ALL our problems.

It would help the NK basketball team for sure! Problem may be identifying Rodman from the North Koreans.

If you are seeing what I am seeing, the USA is on a collision course with The Democratic People’s Republic of North Korea.

The President has an obligation to protect the US population and if Kim attacks Guam or sends missiles nearby then a military response is justified. If a Christian becomes President and is unwilling to use force then he should step down, he can sacrifice his own life but he has no right to sacrifice the lives of others he has pledged to protect.

steve7150, I am not talking about the duty of the president, but of you and me.

So, should Trump make a preemptive attack against NK (and its space satellites)? Or should he just “wait and see”?

But wait. Should we Christians even be thinking that way??

Well OK although it looked like you were asking both, but IMO Jesus calls us to be pacifists in our personal relationships and interactions so we should hope and pray for peace with everyone. The issue with many Christians is whether Jesus command applies to governmental leaders who are entrusted with protecting their country.

And we can also add, the moral or ethical dilemma. For example: If a person was going to immediately kill, a family member or friend. And I can immediately prevent it, with a gun or knife. Should I do it and save the person’s life?

See:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethical_dilemma
examples.yourdictionary.com/ethical-dilemma-examples.html

But in order to prevent…the president or us…from facing ethical dilemmas. Why not give Dennis Rodman a chance first - via a diplomatic mission :question: :bulb:

But in order to prevent…the president or us…from facing ethical dilemmas. Why not give Dennis Rodman a chance first - via a diplomatic mission :question: :bulb:

Or just make him President!

[size=130]Jeffress: God gave Trump authority to take out Kim Jong-Un[/size]
Pastor Jeffress and Father Morris weigh in on ‘Fox & Friends’

What do you think about this five minute discussion of Romans 13 regarding ‘bearing the sword to punish evildoers,’ war, and assassination, at Fox News?

(Also available at video.foxnews.com/v/5537349963001/?#sp=show-clips%20

or at youtube.com/watch?v=qldfVMsY1hM )

The relevant verses from Romans:

I might add these words of Jesus:

“Put away your sword,” Jesus told him. “Those who use the sword will die by the sword. Matthew 26:52.

And this relevant excerpt from Richard Murray’s book, God versus Evil:

I will probably be off the grid for a while, due to a long project. So…

Every blessing to you!

(I am copying my comment to Paidion here, as well, from the thread, “The Purge: Election Year, Hypocrisy, and The Nature Of God”)

Well… I haven’t assigned blame to anyone; I made a prediction.

When leaders of two countries are determined to carry out the agendas which they prescribe for their countries’ safety, and each is suspicious of the motives of the other, war between the two countries is likely.

-If you will not assign blame to either man, does that mean you judge Donald Trump and Kim Jong-un to be morally equivalent?

-Would you agree that there are demonic forces at work in this escalation? If so, do you think God wants Christians to fight against them in some manner? If so, how?

Blessings.

I am in no position to judge that.

I don’t know enough about the activities of demons to judge.

NO. Jesus, who is the exact image of the Father’s essence (Heb 1:3), instructed His disciples not to seek vengeance—to love their enemies and do good to them. In that way, they would show themselves truly to be children of God since God is kind to ungrateful and evil people (Luke 6:35).

-James 4:7 Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

-2 Cor. 10:3-5 *For though we live in the world, **we do not wage war as the world does. The weapons we fight with *are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.

-Luke 10:19 Behold, I have given you authority to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall hurt you.

-Eph. 6:13-18 *Therefore put on the full armor of God…Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. * (Literally, “through all prayer and supplication praying at all times in the Spirit.” So, I might argue that the “sword of the Spirit” refers to praying in tongues.)

Friends of this forum: there is big place for the intellect in Christianity, but a bigger place for the heart. For example, I finally “heard” the truth of evangelical universalism peacefully in my heart, and my tormented head just had to submit…and try to catch up later.

Let us be led by our heart, where Jesus dwells. Otherwise, we may get sidetracked by intellectualism.

So—

-How does someone know if he is genuinely born again?

-What about the true nature of God? Does He ever kill people? Is He bipolar (like the tree of the knowledge of good and evil), or unipolar (like the tree of life)?

-What about the virgin birth?

-What about the gifts of the Holy Spirit for today, like tongues and prophecy?

—Should we ask God for the answers, or have we already correctly figured them out for ourselves? (And will we–or did we–discern those answers with our head, or with our heart?)

Blessings.

I’ll share my own thoughts about your questions, for what they’re worth:

We need to be cautious about being “led by our heart.” Some people’s hearts lead them to places where Christians ought not to reside. Also, having removed the “ism” from the word and also the “ual” we are left with a word which doesn’t have such negative connotations— namely “intellect.”

Without intellect with its logic, our hearts can lead us into trouble. The intellect and God’s enabling grace can steer our hearts in the right direction.

For the grace of God has appeared for the salvation of all people, training us to renounce impiety and worldly passions, and to live sensible, righteous, and devout lives in the present age, expecting the blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of the great God and of our Savior Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people of his own who are zealous for good works. Declare these things; encourage and reprove with all authority. Let no one disregard you. (Titus 2:11-15)

It’s actually “begotten again,” (but we won’t quibble about that). I think we can know if we realize that we are making different choice in life than hitherto.— If we delight in serving others more than in serving ourselves—if our choices tend to help others rather than hurt them.

NEVER

The apostle John wrote twice that God IS love (1 John 4:8,16); He didn’t say that He is love plus something else.

This is the message we have heard from him and proclaim to you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. (1 John 1:5 ESV)

If John had believed God to be bipolar, he would have written, “This is the message we have heard from him and proclaim to you, that God is light, and also darkness.”

It took place according to two of the writers of the memoirs of Christ. Why should we doubt it?

Yes. There is no Scriptural evidence that they have ceased.

If we are regenerated and walking with God, we together with Him will arrive at the truth about many things.

It’s not an either/or matter. We discern the answers with our head, with our heart, and with God’s presence within us.

Paidion said:

This is a very interesting point of view… So many evangelicals are quick to claim ‘God led me/told me to do so and so’ and thus they do things that God may or may not be calling them to do. :wink:

So Paidion, in your view, how does someone know what God wants them to do? :open_mouth:

Thanks

Why should we not believe in the virgin birth? Because it is irrational. What is more likely, that Mary was inseminated by an unseen force, or by a man? Clearly, the rational response is from a man.

As for tongues, I don’t believe it is anything more than babbling. It is known as glossolalia. Many former "Christian’s’ can do this at will, but are now atheists. That was an eye-opener for me. As far as prophecy, “throw enough crap on the wall and some of it is sure to stick.” Now, just take the stuff that seemingly sticks and put it in a book (AKA the Bible).

Not saying you can’t choose to believe these things, but these are not rational beliefs. Rational as defined as knowing how our world works, seeing nature, and interpreting these events based on how they play out in nature. For example, if you daughter ended up pregnant and she said she never had sex with anyone (Nor did artificial insemination), would you say “Well, I have no reason to doubt her!” Clearly, not a rational response. Now add 2,000 years, never meeting Mary, why would you have more reason to believe it? It seems to me you would have even less reason, especially since it is known that the ancient world was very superstitious.