The Evangelical Universalist Forum

The Kingdom Within

Now when He was asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God would come, He answered them and said, "The kingdom of God does not come with observation; “nor will they say, ‘See here!’ or ‘See there!’ For indeed, the kingdom of God is within you.” (Luke 17:20-21 NKJV)

It seems to be a rather common view among Christians, especially among evangelical and fundamentalist Christians, that when a person “accepts Christ as his personal Saviour,” then the Kingdom of God resides in his heart and mind.

Notice that Jesus said these words to the PHARISEES who did not accept Jesus as their Messiah, but believed Him to be an imposter. Surely the Kingdom was not within them in the sense of being in their hearts and minds.

So what DID Jesus mean when he told the Pharisees that the kingdom of God was within them? A kingdom consists of a king and his subjects. Right there, within that group of Pharisees, right in their midst, was the Kingdom of God! The King of that Kingdom was Jesus, and his disciples were his subjects. The Kingdom had come! (in its infant stage). It did not come with signs to be observed, but was right there in their midst, though they did not recognize it.

That may be true of that verse but other verses speak of the union of Christ IN YOU:

To them God chose to make known how great among the Gentiles are the riches of the glory of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory. ~~ Col. 1:27

I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. ~~ Galatians 2:20

We therefore were buried with Him through baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may walk in newness of life. For if we have been united with Him like this in His death, we will certainly also be raised to life as He was. We know that our old self was crucified with Him so that the body of sin might be rendered powerless, that we should no longer be slaves to sin ~~ Romans 6

True, St. Michael. I have no objection to any of that. In fact I exult in it!
It’s just that Jesus’ words to the Pharisees are not about that.

Oh okay. Thanks for clarifying.

Union

In union with You upon the cross
As love’s arrow pierces my heart
I die to myself and suffer loss
Then given a new life and start

Buried to my old self I then rise
Vision is now clear as I can see
New self reflects in Your eyes
The person I am and want to be

Looking deeper into Your Face
Beauty becomes brighter inside
With no more wrath only grace
In union with You I now confide

Death To Self

Honey warms the fires of passion
Of the throbbing of my heart
Your heart pumps beauty apart
Of a flaming blaze in like fashion

Your gentleness warms my skin
As I pant for your loving embrace
Soul to soul and face to face
As I open myself up You enter in

Ego is crucified; painfully deflated
An empty vessel I now let go
Wind of the spirit gently blow
Death to self I am annihilated

Penetrating through the spirit’s core
Love is infused deeply and melting
Entering the wounds and helping
An ecstatic union forever more

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15073414_332740980438623_6295557639735153316_n.jpg?oh=f2d24445542999ae301d8386d0d9849f&oe=58881392

The spiritual path isn’t about being somebody. It’s about being nobody. ~~ Ram Dass Vedanta

Lost In Love

I am in love and I don’t know with who
Dead to myself as I am lost in You
Drunk in Beauty my heart is made new
Sweet Divine Mystery I’m in love with You

Reason is gone, love’s arrow goes through
Opposites unite as both sides hold true
United with love we are no longer two
Lost in this ocean I’m in love with You

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14732249_322026288176759_6681651173353177736_n.jpg?oh=80de59023d24ead6a9982b65fd221e07&oe=58C9BA78

rejoice that your names are written in heaven.

The Dancing Flame

I undressed myself and
Found a burning flame
Hidden behind the veil
That was torn in two
I have died and now rest
Stripped and naked new
The kiss of God gives life
Her lips fan the burning flame
That whirls and dances tonight

Rivers of Love

I’m stripping away all that is not me
So I can be who I was meant to be
And live a new life that is truly free
With eyes of my heart open I can see

Accepting the past and future I let go
With a deeper awareness I now know
The river of love can always flow
With the death of the mind and ego

In union with the love of my true self
I feel sweet beauty like I’ve never felt
A wonder, bliss and joy of mental health
Now that I have rivers of eternal wealth

Wow! What a beautiful thought, Paidon! :slight_smile: By the way, your thoughts on this forum have always been of considerable encouragement to me. Thank you so much for thinking so deeply and aesthetically about our God, who disciplines those whom He loves and is a “consuming fire” (Hebrews 12:6 and 29).

It is a good thought and after reading what Paidion believes on this subject I know he’s the real deal. It’s not about self-esteem or building yourself up but death to the old ego self and coming into union with the true self (love). The Beauty of holiness is in humility.

Thank you gandalf’sbeard. Your response is an encouragement to me (and yours also, St. Michael).

Your name is written in the Lambs book of Life Paidion. We have minor disagreements but this is the heart of it in my opinion.

If anyone is interested in this Andrew Murray has written a book called “Humility: The Beauty of Holiness”. It’s hailed as the greatest book on humility ever written. Andrew Murray was open to Universalism. Murray was greatly influenced by William Law. One of Law’s books clearly outlined Law’s belief in universal salvation. This very book was later republished by Murray under the title Power of the Spirit.

Here’s the table of contents:

1. Humility: The Glory of the Creature

2. Humility: The Secret of Redemption

3. The Humility of Jesus

4. Humility in the Teaching of Jesus

5. Humility in Daily Life

6. Humility and Holiness

7. Humility and Faith

8. Humility and Death to Self

9. Humility and Happiness

10. Humility and Exaltation

The book is only 80 pages. Real easy to grasp.

The book is online:

g4er.tk/books/murray_humility.pdf

One quote from the book that was helpful to me:

Friend, the only thing that can cure you of the desire for man’s praise or the hurt feelings and anger which come when it is not given, is by only seeking the glory that comes from God. Let the glory of the all-glorious God be everything to you. You will be freed from the glory of men and of self, and be content and glad to be nothing. ~~ Andrew Murray

I was reading my book:

The Essential Mystics, Poets, Saints and Sages by Richard Hooper and it describes the enlightenment experience. Listen to this: