The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Idols

In 1 John the letter ends with a warning to guard yourselves from idols. What exactly do you think John meant by this??? In our present-day culture wealth status power and sexuality are often pointed out as idols. How do we keep from turning God or Jesus into idols in the sense that we turn them into our own making?? Do you think it is possible to completely be free from some form of idolatry in the sense that we are fallen and are prone to let our distortions effect our understanding of God & Jesus??? Would you say we can hold to correct doctrine but still be idolatrous if love is not guiding our lives??? Look frward to your responses :smiley: :sunglasses: :wink:

Robert

Well, Robert, here is some Q and A on the topic, from the Protestant site Got Questions:

What is the definition of idolatry?
What are some modern forms of idolatry?
Do Catholics worship idols / practice idolatry?

Although I do differ with them, on the Catholic answer (it should be noted that the Eastern Orthodox use icons,with 2 dimensions). :exclamation: :smiley:

They do define 3 points and elaborate on them, in the modern forms answer:

In point 3, I feel one can achieve a proper balance and understanding, regarding science, theology and philosophy :exclamation: :smiley:

St. Paul equates idolatry with covetousness. To be reckoned as covetousness, I think a person has to go beyond admiring something, going in fact as far as desiring something to the point of stepping out of thankfulness and into craving.
Normally, we covet what we do not need but want, and want so much that the desired thing becomes more important than being thankful, more important than love for the neighbor, sometimes more important than one’s happiness.

That is pretty good! :smiley:

Do you think pride has a dog in this hunt? :laughing: