The Evangelical Universalist Forum

eternal punishment...a period of 1000 years?

I am trying to find the alleged reference in the following:

“St. Justin Martyr repeatedly used the word aionios as in the Apol. (p. 57), aionion kolasin …all ouchi chiliontaetê
periodon, “eonian chastening …but a period, not a thousand years.” Or, as some translate the last clause: “but a
period of a thousand years only.” He limits the eonian chastening to a period of a thousand years, rather than to
endlessness.” tentmaker.org/books/asw/Chapter9.html

Does anyone know where this Apol. p.57 is?

What i found was this from Chapter 8 in the url below:

“And Plato, in like manner, used to say that Rhadamanthus and Minos would punish the wicked who came before them; and we say that the same thing will be done, but at the hand of Christ, and upon the wicked in the same bodies united again to their spirits which are now to undergo everlasting punishment; and not only, as Plato said, for a period of a thousand years. And if any one say that this is incredible or impossible, this error of ours is one which concerns ourselves only, and no other person, so long as you cannot convict us of doing any harm.”
newadvent.org/fathers/0126.htm

Yes, I looked in the Apology itself, and found the quote in chapter 8 that you quoted from New Advent.

But I was unable to find anything in the Apology that resembled the first.

He (Louis Abbott Ch. 9) appears by this quote to be referring to the other passage you quoted above (CHAP. VIII.—CHRISTIANS CONFESS THEIR FAITH IN GOD) where the phrase rendered “not a thousand yearsἀλλ’ (but) οὐχὶ (not) χιλιονταετῆ (a thousand years) περίοδον (period) is mentioned, but IMO is wrong in seemingly in attributing this to Justin Martyr, but rather the text attributes this restricted belief to Plato himself.