The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Luke 13:1-9 - A different interpretation

Curious that both the word ‘repent’ and ‘perish’ conjure up images of someone being told to be more holy or face eternal damnation. Most people interpret Luke 13 as a call to individual repentance in order to avoid Hell. I think this standard interpretation is mistaken, and I’ll build my case as to why I think this may be so.
Background**

Keep in mind when discussing history, there is always going to be some ‘conjecture’ that takes place. This takes place not only by those offering new explanations, but by even those who hold the traditional explanations. Conjecture everywhere, lots to go around! That said…

Most agree that the Jews were very rebellious against Rome. Many hated Rome… In a way, this isn’t all to different from any people group who have been conquered by another people group. When a group of people feel oppressed, there is very likely some underground resistance at work. This is most especially true if the group believes they are God’s chosen.

Context

Luke 13:1 - “Now on the same occasion there were some present who reported to Him about the Galileans whose blood Pilate had [a]mixed with their sacrifices.”

Why would Pilate do that? Does someone suppose a ruler would, for no good reason, kill priests and defile their temple? Yes, you say - Perhaps a competing religion would do that. But, Rome was known to accept new gods. For them, the more the merrier. So it doesn’t make a lot of sense that Pilate saw the Jewish temple as a ‘threat’ to his religion. Rather, the most likely explanation is that these people were rebels and they were a threat to his peaceful rule of the Province. They did not submit to Rome’s rule and thus suffered the consequence. Although we can’t be certain, we are relatively sure this is the case and tradition would also agree.

Luke 13:4 - "Or do you suppose that those eighteen on whom the tower in Siloam fell and killed them were worse [c]culprits than all the men who live in Jerusalem?"

Very little is known about this tower. Why did it fall? Those of us here today do not have this answer. But, I think those living in that time knew what surrounded the event. Although this is purely conjecture, I do surmise that the 18 on whom the tower fell were people actively resisting the Roman empire. Towers just don’t fall without some catalyst. Sure, one could argue age, faulty building, perhaps an accident. We have no idea why it fell, I just believe the reason for it falling would be from the rebels. This puzzle piece may seem like it is a loner right now, but I think you will see how it can fit later.

Logic

Luke 13:2-3 - “And Jesus said to them, “Do you suppose that these Galileans were greater sinners than all other Galileans because they suffered this fate? I tell you, no, but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish.”

Let us suppose for a minute that the traditional interpretation is correct "Everyone is a sinner, and if they don’t repent (turn to God), they will perish (Go to Hell).

The statement “Everyone is a sinner” is something I can get behind. There is no doubt we are all sinners. Of this, I think that is clear and that is also a clear message that Christ had intended.

**Objection 1 **

“If they don’t repent (Turn to God).” This is an assumption on the word repent. The word repent does not mean Turn to God. From what I understand, it means to “Change ones mind or direction” But change ones mind about WHAT? We will get back to this.

**Objection 2 **

The assumption on the word “Perish” to mean “Eternal Hell” or “Afterlife Hell” or “Damnation”. This would be intellectually dishonest to interpret the word perish as anything pertaining to the afterlife in this section of scripture. The word was used just verses before and clearly referred to physical death. Let’s take a look at the verse again with my two objections addressed, one as a variable and one as a constant.

Luke 13:3 “…unless you repent[Change your mind/actions about X], you will all likewise Perish[Die in a similar manner]”

Does everyone die? Yes. Therefore I must deduce that changing one’s mind about something won’t stop them from dying because so far everyone has died!

Does everyone die in a similar manner? No. Therefore I must deduce that changing one’s mind about something could[should] stop them from dying a certain way. A perfect example in our times would be the truck driver who killed a bunch of people in Nice, France. His mind was made up to do harm on a terrorist scale and he suffered the expected consequences. He was shot and killed. Now, this man would have died even if he didn’t commit his crime… But it would have been in a different manner and many year further down the road.

So what is our variable X? I believe X is about changing their minds about opposing the Roman Government. In fact, the Jews as a whole did not change their mind and suffered the consequences in the sack of Jerusalem. Jesus words came true. Those people who did not change their mind and barricaded themselves in the temple to resist Rome were destroyed and in a manner similar to what Jesus warned against. This all happened in about AD 70.

Based, I context, I think the verse ought to be interpreted or translated as "Do you think these particular rebels were any worse than you? No, but unless you stop rebelling against Rome, you will die in a similar way.

I also find it interesting that a parable is given to tie these two together… This is very clearly not an individual call to change ones mind, but a national call to do so. This isn’t a lot different than the turmoil we have in the United States with Police vs BLM. Two wrong’s don’t make a right, right? Well… Police, just like Rome were put in power by God. That doesn’t mean everything they did was Godly, in fact the Romans and Police have done some very bad things, but imagine if they didn’t exist at all? Even scarier. Rome provided stability, even if they were not perfect (or far from it) and Police do the same thing for us.

Excellent thoughts Gabe! :sunglasses: