The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Did Jesus actually judge Jerusalem in AD 70?

Or was it just a result of them not heeding his advice and reaping the consequences for their disbelief in his prophecy? I have always believed he was judging them, but now I’m just not so sure? I would like others perspectives. Would Jesus, who is love and grace be behind such atrocities?

My own bias is in the direction that Jesus predicts the fall of Jerusalem because he perceives that their rejection of his exhortations to pursue peace and love their enemies, will by nature of its’ militant alternative lead to Rome’s crushing of the city. He does seem to see God’s judgment in this outcome, though I am not sure that it is necessary to interpret that as meaning that God or Jesus directly causes these events.

Hi Bob!

Good to hear from you. Hope all is well!

I tend to agree about Christ’s teachings, you may say that Jesus did not cause the events, but we have to at least admit that through the prophets, God Himself prophesied what He was going to do to Israel, If they did not turn from their ways, which is exactly what Christ came to do… “I come but for the lost sheep of the house of Israel”

And we also know from the Roman book by Paul that “eyes will be blind.”

Thanks,

Chad

The picture I get in reading the New Testament is that a hearing is taking place; a hearing as in- “a trial of an equity case”, or" a session, as of an investigatory committee, at which witnesses submit testimony. The case involves God versus man- those bearing false witness of God. The thing I find ironic is that man stands before Jesus, the true God, claiming that He can not be God since He was a man. Meanwhile, these men were basically making themselves God. John 9:39 says this: “For judgment I have come into this world, that those who do not see may see.” From what I understand God is not the judge in the case. Man is to be the judge. John 5:22 says "For the father judges no one, but has committed all judgment to the Son(man)."Jesus (God) has only come in person to give a true testimony of Himself. Each of us must answer the same question that Jesus asked Peter, “Who do you say that I am?” Do we choose Barabbas, the identity thief, or Jesus, the one true God ? The one we choose to follow will take us where we will go. We already know the outcome.

They also had modern technology back in 70 AD. I found this historical clip, captured on an ancient video camera - to prove it. :exclamation: :laughing: