The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Prince of the power of the air?

And you were dead in the trespasses and sins in which you once walked, following the course of this world, following the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience—among whom we all once lived in the passions of our flesh, carrying out the desires of the body and the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, like the rest of mankind.
(Ephesians 2:1-3 ESV)

What do you think is the meaning of ‘the prince of the power of the air’? In Matthew Henry’s commentary, if I remember correctly , it is stated that the ‘power of the air’ is actually ‘powers in the air’ and refers to the ancient belief that the atmosphere itself is populated by spirits, many inimical to mankind.

Is that explanation consistent with Paul, or Jesus or second temple Judaism? Is there a better explanation?

Here’s what the Protestant site Got Questions says at What does it mean that Satan is prince of the power of the air (Ephesians 2:2)?

Strange.
Does that interpretation imply that God shares the atmosphere with the satan and demons, I wonder? God, I believe, is ‘in’ every volume of space in the universe, including the air around us - He fills all things.
I just googled this and came up with a link [tag]Cindy Skillman[/tag] excellent blog, where I clipped this from a larger entry which you should read entirely to make sure I’m not misrepresenting her - (cindyinsd.wordpress.com/2008/07 … ll-in-all/) she does make the excellent point that Scripture does not teach pantheism. Still:

"God fills the heavens and the earth. In Him we literally live and move and have our being. Not merely from Him, but in Him.

When Jesus teaches His disciples (including us) to pray, “Our Father Who is in Heaven, . . . ” the word He uses, ouranos, refers not only to the spiritual plane we think of as Heaven, the home of God. It does mean this, by implication, but the actual raw meaning of the word is: the expanse of the sky with all things visible in it, the aerial heavens (clouds, storms, thunder, lightning, birds, tall buildings, daisies, automobiles, etc.), the starry heavens (outer space). So we’re talking about a physical place, and the word translated most often heaven might be more accurately rendered (I’m told) heavens. It refers to everything we see–the space around us, above us in the earth’s atmosphere, and beyond us in outer space. “Do I not fill the heavens and earth?”

It sounds almost blasphemous, but scripture upholds the idea. We live our lives, whether in the Kingdom or out, in God. Literally in God. This is a little too big for most folks, myself included to comprehend. God, therefore (and for other reasons), reveals Himself to us in Christ. Jesus is God in the flesh, is co-eternal with God, is God Himself, and embodies the entire nature and fullness of God bodily. “For in Him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily.” (Colossians 2:9) Remember that God’s fullness fills everything, everywhere, and beyond."

That is well said, I think, and agree. So are we thinking that in the very air around us, right up next to us, God is present, all the time - AND that the satan and ‘minions’ are as well?
Confusing.

It just goes to show you, Dave, that there are many interpretations of biblical passages. If this were not so, then there wouldn’t be so many different churches. I can’t wait until they perfect robots with AI. Then we can just ask them - like they do in the Star Trek series - what a particular passage means. And they will keep explaining it in different ways, until we get the meaning. :laughing:

Hi Dave,
The phrase in several translations that correctly render the Greek texts is “the ruler of the authority of the air.”
If the word translated as “authority” were actually plural, it would help our interpretation in supposing these authorities to be demons, and their ruler to be Satan. But there is no Greek text of this verse, of which I am aware, that contains the plural of this word.

Paidion - thanks. Do you have any insights into the meaning of that phrase? I’ve not been able to come up with much written about it.

I don’t have anything convincing. The best I can do at the moment is to suggest that there is ONE demon who is “the authority of the air” and Satan is the ruler of that demon (as well as all or most of the others).

Ok.
It’s just a very strange phrase - ‘the power of the air’.

I just googled ‘demons in the atmosphere’ and came across some really crazy, as in nutty, stuff…

The power of the air - I’m going to keep at this one for a bit; it has my interest.

First stop: oh my goodness, here’s a treasure trove. NOT. circleofchristianwomen.com/levels_of_demonic_activity.htm

I suspect “the sons of disobedience” references Israel of the OC. The early church beyond its initial sweep through Palestine was inherently Hebraic i.e., Jews of the Diaspora from out of which many first believers came (2Cor 6:17). Israel of the OC was “dead in the trespasses and sins” and thus “the course of this world” (Judaism) futile; as were the leaders blindly leading them (1Cor 2:6, 8). Such corporate leadership ultimately personified in the High Priest constituted “the prince of the power of the air” and as such “the spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience” (law righteousness), and thus Paul’s “from among whom we all once lived…” – notice Paul (a fellow Jew) making this separating distinction “…children of wrath, like the rest of mankind.

Davo- that’s worth consideration, thanks.

“Power of the air” - puzzling.

Prince(archontas) of the power(exousias) of the air

The next 4 verses are all paul and his usages of 'exousias" as domain or authority or power, depending what translations you read- the word is not translated consistently, but based on all the other uses i would say “power” is not a great translation. or rather see power as authority or “rule”.

Prince is 'archontas from arche or ruler.

For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers(archas), against the authorities(exousias), against the powers(kosmokratas-cosmic powers) of this dark world and against the spiritual forces(pneumatika- spirituals) of evil in the heavenly realms. Eph 6:12

18to open their eyes so that they may turn from darkness to light and from the dominion(exousias) of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who have been sanctified by faith in Me.’ Acts 26:18

13For He rescued us from the domain(exousias) of darkness, and transferred us to the kingdom of His beloved Son, 14in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins. Col 1

15When He had disarmed the rulers and authorities(exousias), He made a public display of them, having triumphed over them through Him. Col 2

My suggestion is that before, in the beginnings God established domains and principalities as stewardships of the “sons of God”. There may have been a couple of “leavings”(left their proper domains). In Colossians 2 paul says

See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men, according to the elementary principles(stoichea) of the world, rather than according to Christ

and Peter says

Since all these things are to be destroyed in this way, what sort of people ought you to be in holy conduct and godliness, 12looking for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be destroyed(lyomenon-dissolved) by burning, and the elements(stoichea) will melt with intense heat! 13But according to His promise we are looking for new heavens and a new earth, in which righteousness dwells.

Jude says,

And angels who did not keep their own domain(archen), but abandoned their proper abode, He has kept in eternal bonds under darkness for the judgment of the great day,

POWER OF THE AIR?
So I think that spiritual beings, perhaps equivalents of seraphim and other angels or watchers- who knows for sure? :slight_smile: fell out with YHWH but in some measure retained their archas and exoucias and work through the stiochea(elementary principles). The light and presence(fire) of God is dissolving them, but at present they have a dominion in the “air”, which in my opinion is the lower realms of the spirit in this world/age- among the minds of men(earthly, sensual demonic james 3) -exousias

Therefore, since we have this ministry, as we received mercy, we do not lose heart, 2but we have renounced the things hidden because of shame, not walking in craftiness or adulterating the word of God, but by** the manifestation of truth** commending ourselves to every man’s conscience in the sight of God. 3And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing, 4in whose case** the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelieving** so that they might not see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God. 5For we do not preach ourselves but Christ Jesus as Lord, and ourselves as your bond-servants for Jesus’ sake. 6For God, who said, “Light shall shine out of darkness,” is the One who has shone in our hearts to give** the Light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ.**

Going back to something I use a lot, in genesis it is written that the earth was without form and void and the Spirit hovered over the waters and then God said, “let there be light!”

That separation of light and darkness occurred and began occuring continually and is still occuring as the waters above are divided from the waters below. heaven from earth. Higher(seated in Christ in the heavenly realms) from lower(elementary principles of this word/age that veil/blind)- earthly sensual, demonic.

By faith we know that the world/ages were created by the word of God and that creation is still manifesting- behold I am making all things new. The god of this world is resisting it by the archas and exousias he controls, wherever the gospel has not “disarmed the principalities and powers” by the manifestation of truth- Christ crucified- the light that is transforming the whole creation through the administration of the fulness of times- gathering all things into one in Christ, whether things in the heavens or the earth.

All authority in heaven and earth has been given unto me by my Father

Unto which of the angels did He say, “Sit here upon my throne until I make all your enemies a footstool for your feet”

25For He must reign until He has put all His enemies under His feet. 26The last enemy that will be abolished is death. 27For HE HAS PUT ALL THINGS IN SUBJECTION UNDER HIS FEET. But when He says, “All things are put in subjection,” it is evident that He is excepted who put all things in subjection to Him. 28When all things are subjected to Him, then the Son Himself also will be subjected to the One who subjected all things to Him, so that God may be all in all.

Peter says we await a new heavens and a new earth “in which dwells righteousness”. and says of Jesus “whom the heavens must receive until the period of the restoration of all things”. and Paul says “that God might become all in all”

We are seated with Christ in the heavenly realms “far above all rule power and authority” we have an inheritance “reserved in the heavens”… it is “coming down out of heaven” and being “manifested/unveiled” by the word of reconciliation, which is the authority of Christ to set the whole creation free from futility- into “the glorious freedom of the children of God”- of which we are the first-fruits.(James 1:17; Romans 8:23

These are in accordance with the working of the strength of His might 20which He brought about in Christ, when He raised Him from the dead and seated Him at His right hand in the heavenly places, 21far above all rule(arhes) and authority(exousias) and power(dynameos) and dominion(kryiotetes-lordship), and every name that is named, not only in this age but also in the one to come. 22And He put all things in subjection under His feet, and gave Him as head over all things to the church, 23which is His body, the fullness of Him who fills all in all. Eph 1

King of Kings, Lord of Lords- every knee shall bow \o/

It could be that Paul’s “air” is equivalent to his “heavenlies” used elsewhere and can be understood as euphemistic of the Temple hierarchy i.e., the Chief Priest/s etc… certainly Lk 12:11 lends support to this; that such ‘powers’ as “rulers and authorities” were fully human as opposed to the supernatural that is assumed.

Along this line of thought where the Temple/Tabernacle is viewed as “heaven” (and thus by extension the ruling leadership… authorities/powers etc) are the words of the Jewish historian Josephus:

Not forgetting that the Heaven “peculiar to God” was in fact accessed yearly by whichever priest was duly appointed High Priest for that season to minister ON BEHALF OF all Israel.

This tripartite pattern of “sea / land / heaven” was replicated variously in terms of sea = gentiles / land = Israel / heaven = Tabernacle-Temple of God. So we have in terms of the Temple itself… the outer court of the gentiles (apostate Israel) / the inner court (Israel of God - priests) / Holiest of all (God’s dwelling place).

I don’t believe in Satan or demons, as evil spirits running around in the spiritual realm. I believe the principalities and powers of the air are used to describe something like mob mentality. Perhaps some better examples might be what we call “the system” or “the corporation”. There is no specific ruler, but these are made up of many people. They take on separate entities of their own, and they become the rulers. Most of us know what it’s like to deal with such an entity. Nobody seems to have an answer to anything because what you are dealing with is “company policy”.

Here’s one commentary on the term - which I do not think is an accurate picture of Paul’s thinking. I could be wrong.
"In the cosmology of Ephesians, “this world” refers to the present age in enmity with God (cf. 1:21). Here “air” is understood to be the zone between earth and the heavens which is inhabited and ruled by antagonistic forces exercising control over the world below. Later in Ephesians, this ruler is labeled the devil (4:27; 6:11). "
workingpreacher.org/preaching.aspx?commentary_id=262

Luke 12:11 was speaking specifcally of earthly rulers and authorities. I think they are all entertwined, sort of, in accordance with the view of tabernacle, Paul’s language, to me indicating spiritual principalities as well.

i think the “air” is the lower realms of the “heavens”… Paul mentions that he was caught up into the 3rd heaven, perhaps in accordance with the view of outer court(first heaven- air)- middle court, second heaven - holy of holies -3rd heaven, perhaps, who knows maybe there are a 1000 heavens, dimensions concentrically expanding lol.

I see it also like a portal, the gates of heaven, the angels ascending and descending on the son of man.

So 'the spirit that is now working in the sons of disobedience", whther that is as LLC proposes, the group mind of fallen man, or whether it is a hierarchal host of spiritual entities- or even both enmeshed together(my belief)… I dont see any conflict there other than some of the terminology Paul uses which leads me to believe there are demons, along with the testimony of the gospels, and my own experience with spirits(which counts for nothing on a forum, I just mention it for context on my own beliefs)

This is one area where i see no conflict between the fulfilled view and other views. if this is the final age and the sun is rising slowly over the horizon, the mists that form the veils and barriers to man’s enlightenment to Jesus Christ as Lord will all fall as the “Light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ” consumes, as 2 peter 3 puts it, the "elementary principles(stoichea) and the new heavens and the new earth, in which righteousness dwells, consumes the former things as all things become new. The glory of the Lord will cover the earth as the water covers the sea. they will beat their swords into plows hears and their spears into pruning hooks, the enmity will be shackled, and salvation will flow like rivers in the desert all in God’s good time.

I see that as the administration of the fulness of times and at least one major dispensation/age/world to come before all that is fulfilled, but at the heart of it, it doesnt matter that much.

Christ is coming, His face is like the sun shining in its strength. His coming like the radiance of the sun shining from east to west. Every adversary will be subjected, reconciled, made new.

Here’s another that I think misses the mark:
"d. The prince of the power of the air: This unique title for Satan speaks of his authority (prince) and his realm (the air, a way of referring to Satan’s “environment”).

i. “The domain of the air, in fact, is another way of indicating the heavenly realm, which, according to Ephesians 6:12, is the abode of those principalities and powers, world-rulers of this darkness and spiritual forces of wickedness against which the people of Christ wage war.” (Bruce"
blueletterbible.org/comm/guzik_david/studyguide_eph/eph_2.cfm

Another from a respected source:
“the prince of the power of the air–the unseen God who lies underneath guiding “the course of this world” ( 2 Corinthians 4:4 ); ranging through the air around us: compare Mark 4:4 , “fowls of the air” (Greek, “heaven”) that is, ( Ephesians 2:15 ), “Satan” and his demons. Compare Ephesians 6:12 , John 12:31 . Christ’s ascension seems to have cast Satan out of heaven ( Revelation 12:5 Revelation 12:9 Revelation 12:10 Revelation 12:12 Revelation 12:13 ), where he had been heretofore the accuser of the brethren ( Job 1:6-11 ). No longer able to accuse in heaven those justified by Christ, the ascended Saviour ( Romans 8:33 Romans 8:34 ), he assails them on earth with all trials and temptations; and “we live in an atmosphere poisonous and impregnated with deadly elements. But a mighty purification of the air will be effected by Christ’s coming” [AUBERLEN], for Satan shall be bound ( Revelation 12:12 Revelation 12:13 Revelation 12:15 Revelation 12:17 , Revelation 20:2 Revelation 20:3 ). “The power” is here used collectively for the “powers of the air”; in apposition with which “powers” stand the “spirits,” comprehended in the singular, “the spirit,” taken also collectively: the aggregate of the “seducing spirits” ( 1 Timothy 4:1 ) which “work now (still; not merely, as in your case, ‘in time past’) in the sons of disobedience” (a Hebraism: men who are not merely by accident disobedient, but who are essentially sons of disobedience itself: compare Matthew 3:7 ), and of which Satan is here declared to be “the prince.” The Greek does not allow “the spirit” to refer to Satan, “the prince” himself, but to “the powers of the air” of which he is prince. The powers of the air are the embodiment of that evil “spirit” which is the ruling principle of unbelievers, especially the heathen ( Acts 26:18 ), as opposed to the spirit of the children of God ( Luke 4:33 ). The potency of that “spirit” is shown in the “disobedience” of the former. Compare Deuteronomy 32:20 , “children in whom is no faith” ( Isaiah 30:9 , 57:4 ). They disobey the Gospel both in faith and practice ( 2 Thessalonians 1:8 , 2 Corinthians 2:12 ).”
biblestudytools.com/commenta … ans-2.html

One more - this one from Wm. Barclay. I like this one, which doesn’t mean it’s the correct one, only that it fits with some other things I have read.
What do you think:

“(ii) It is life lived under the dictates of the prince of the air. Here again we are at something which was very real in the days of Paul but which is not so real to us. The ancient world believed strenuously in demons. They believed that the air was so crowded with these demons that there was not room to insert a pinpoint between them. Pythagoras said: “The whole air is full of Spirits.” Philo said: “There are spirits flying everywhere through the air.” “The air is the house of the disembodied spirits.” These demons were not all bad, but many were, out to propagate evil, to frustrate the purposes of God and to ruin the souls of men. The man who is under their domination has taken sides against God.”

studylight.org/commentaries … ans-2.html

In the gospels there are several stories where people are oppressed of spirits through no fault of their own, like the boy who was throwing himself in the fire. In Acts there is a story where the prophetess of Diana is following Paul around prophesying and he casts a “spirit of divination” out of her. The madman of the Gadarenes sat at Jesus whole, and in his right mind after Jesus cast Legion out of him and sent them into the pigs. I know of young man who was demon possessed and was present at his deliverance. he became a fine disciple of Jesus Christ thereafter. Some people see demons around every corner and behind every malady. I don t believe that. I think people hav psychological problems and illnesses and character flaws and sins. But I do believe demons are real and sometimes they are the source of a problem or are inflaming an existing problem.

In places where people worship demons there are more such problems(Africa, India, Haiti). I believe these things are increasing in the US where demon spirits are not provoked into visibility by the gospel and are worshipped in the media through pornography and violence and witchcraft and spiritism of all types- celebrated in movies, tv shows and books.

I think we’re pretty much in agreement.
My current task is looking for sources that discuss Second Temple Judaism and the constellation of beliefs concerning ‘power of the air’ and related subjects; I’m hoping to find something that directly affects the source of Paul’s thought here.