The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Should we continually confess our sins?

Or did Jesus take away sin for good on the cross? Do we still have to acknowledge sin? Thoughts?

Here’s the answer given by the Protestant site Got Questions at Do Christians have to keep asking for forgiveness for their sins?:

And also Why do we need to confess our sins if they have already been forgiven (1 John 1:9)?:

Perhaps could 1 John 1:9 be John dealing with some Agnostics who believed the finished work of Christ didn’t cover sin and he was telling them that if they believed in Christ would be faithful in forgiving them their sins? I know 1st 2nd and 3rd John were rebuttals in a lot of ways to some agnostic teaching that was going on in those times. Thoughts?

I confess my sins for the process of healing of shame and guilt:

Step 5~~Admitted to God, to ourselves and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/12832293_187069355005787_4828919094695103822_n.jpg?oh=adff40e2bc83b081f00a923aa5f083af&oe=574D531E

Step 10 ~~ Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it

People often fear this but if it’s done with a priest or trusted friend who understands the healing process you will receive understanding and compassion.

Please see my discussion, Are all our sins already forgiven?