The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Don't we all have the logos?

From what I understand, the logos is the divine order of things. I would say that it has been described in many different ways, for example, reason and judgment, the divine essence of God, the Spirit of God, the Word, conscience, God’s commandments, wisdom and understanding, etc. etc… According to John, nothing was made that was made without this logos. If we did not have it, then we would know nothing of it’s existence. Any thoughts on this?

I’ve always seen the Logos as logic. It’s the Mind of God which brings forth the Spoken Word which became flesh - Christ. Let me ponder this.

Philippians 2:5 says this: “Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus.” Again, Philippians 2:2 “fulfill my joy by being like-minded having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind.” Having the same mind as that of Christ, we do bring forth the spoken word, the fruit of the spirit.

Wonderful. I forgot all about those scriptures about having the mind of Christ. That reminds me. I also had a workbook called “The Mind of Christ”. I’m going to go dig around for it in a bit. Thanks!!

Here’s another one I just found

“For who has understood the mind of the Lord so as to instruct him?” But we have the mind of Christ. - 1 Cor. 2:16

A “logos” is what emerges from a person to express himself. That is why it is often translated as “word.”
If it is announced, “Brother John will now give us a word,” it means that Brother John will now express himself by giving a talk.

Jesus is personally the expression of the Father. Thus He is the Logos or “Word”.

From what I understand, the word of God is to love God with all our hearts and minds, and to love our neighbor a ourselves. This word also includes the ten commandments. As Isaiah 1:17 says, “learn to do good; seek justice reprove the oppressor; defend the fatherless, plead for the widow.”
According to Deuteronomy 30:14 “The word is very near you, in your mouth and in your heart that you may do it.” Again Psalm 68:5 says " A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God in His holy habitation." When we follow this word that is in our hearts and do the works of God, we also express the Father’s love for His children.

Before anything was made, there was God. When He created, He gave everything a purpose and put everything in order according to it’s purpose. This is the word or logos. The definition of logos being the “principle of divine reason and creative order.” Nothing was made that was made without the logos. Everything on earth, including man, has the logos contained within, so that it works according to what God created it for. If we did not have it, we would all be content to serve other gods. But this logos is what tells us that something is not right. When things are operating contrary to the word of God, we see it and we know it, and this is what makes us rise up.

I think the first verses in John clearly indicate that the Logos was personal, and not only personal, but they identify the Logos as the very Son of God:

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2 He was in the beginning with God.
3 All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made.
4 In him was life, and the life was the light of men.
5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.
6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.
7 He came as a witness, to bear witness about the light, that all might believe through him.
8 He was not the light, but came to bear witness about the light.
9 The true light, which enlightens everyone, was coming into the world.
10 He was in the world, and the world was made through him, yet the world did not know him.
11 He came to his own, and his own people did not receive him.
12 But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God,
13 who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.
14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.

For your consideration, I find the following exposition fairly compelling, though I have read better and just cannot put my hands on it right now.
This interpretation does not think the Logos is the pre-incarnate Jesus

trinities.org/blog/incarnation-g … ohn-11-18/

Thanks Dave. The early apologists saw it as referring to logic.

Thanks for the link Dave, I also agree. To me, the logos is not a separate entity of God. As St. Michael mentions I believe logic is a part of the logos as well. It is who God is-love, compassion, forgiveness, mercy, wisdom, reason, intellect, truth, justice, law, doing unto others, etc. etc… Jesus was the Word/Spirit of God/Logos in the flesh. As John 1:1 says, “The Word was God.” Again, according to John1:9 “That was the true light which gives light to every man who comes into the world.”, we all have it in our hearts and minds.
Matthew 5:14 “You (believers) are the light of the world, a city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden.”
Matthew 5:16 “Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.”
Psalm 6:23 “For the commandment is a lamp, and the law is light. Reproofs of instruction are the way of life.”
Psalm 119:105 “Your word is a lamp to my feet, and a light to my path.”
Psalm 119:130 The unfolding of your words gives light; it gives understanding to the simple."
Ecclesiastes 2:13 “I saw that wisdom is better than folly, just as light is better than darkness.”
John 8:12 "When Jesus spoke again to the people, He said “I am the light of the world, whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”
1 John 1:5 “God is light and in Him is no darkness at all.”