The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Taught by God

I am one that believes Jesus was the one and only God in the flesh. According to Isaiah 54:13(KJV) “All your children will be taught BY the Lord, and great shall be their peace.” Also, the Jerusalem Bible says this: "Your sons will all be taught BY Yahweh. The prosperity of your sons will be great.
However, I was recently reading a few other translations of the Bible and discovered that this verse has been changed. The New American Standard reads “All your sons will be taught OF the Lord, and the well being of your sons will be great.” I find this to be quite a big difference in meaning. What are your thoughts on this?

I suggest that to be taught OF God can mean to be taught BY God. I am sure you are thinking that to be taught OF God is tantamount to being taught ABOUT God. That would be a modern way of thinking

I will point out that the Greek Septuagint, translated from an older form of Hebrew in around 300 B.C. (the New Testament authors quoted from the Septuagint) had “διδακτους θεου” (taught of God), for “θεου” is in the genitive case, and therefore means “of God.”

Thanks Paidion. I was thinking along the same lines but didn’t know how to say it.

Paidion, Thanks for the information. It is very helpful. :slight_smile:

I’m more concerned with changing

to

After all, I’m a big Joel Osteen fan and hate to see I’m watching a TV program “in black and white”, when I’m expecting it in “living color.” :exclamation: :laughing:

ewwww! Joel Olsteen? Don’t like his teachings. I guess we just have different personalities because when I hate something like the teachings of Joel Olsteen I don’t watch him on T.V. I just change the station. In fact I don’t watch T.V. at all anymore.

Oh, no! Someone doesn’t like Joe Osteen :question: In the words of Yosemite Sam: :laughing:

:smiley:

This does raise a question, Michael. What exactly about the teachings of Joel Osteen - don’t you like? In my opinion, he is a Christian motivational speaker - trying to have us be, all that God made us to be :exclamation:

Let me look into it Randy. I made a bad judgment. I was only going by what people have told me. Sorry about that.