The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Is "judgment" the best translation of "krisis"?

In the New Testament, the Greek word “krisis” (and other forms of the same basic word) is most commonly translated with the word “judgment/judge”.

Is that the best we can do? Is “judgment” the best word for the job?

I ask because of so many other, shall we say, sub-optimal decisions of translating that are common:

kolasis, typically translated as “punishment”, when “correction” would be better

aion, typically translated as “eternal”, when “lasting” would be better

gehenna, typically translated as “hell”, when “Valley of Hinnom” would be better

hades, sometimes translated as “hell”, when “grave” would be better

etc.

In the New Testament, the Greek word “krisis” (and other forms of the same basic word) is most commonly translated with the word “judgment/judge”.

Is that the best we can do? Is “judgment” the best word for the job?

"Krisis/Krino are incredibly important biblical words often translated into “damnation” by the KJV or “condemnation” by most other translations. IMO “judgment” is a good translation because it is not necessarily a negative event if CU is true because it leads to reconciliation.

Strongs uses “separation”, “trial”," contest", “selection”, “distinguish”, “judgment”. BTW the English word “crisis” comes from “krisis.”

Hmm. “Distinguish” catches my eye, and it makes me think of “distinction” (as in distinguishing).

While I agree that “judgment”, in a denotative sense, is a good translation, I think that some of its connotations are unfortunate. I’ve had people use the fact that Jesus “judges” us as a “proof” of never-ending hell. A judge can be a frightening figure. Etc. Now, if people didn’t believe in never-ending hell, the word “judgment” would not concern me at all. But given the confusion on that point, I would like to consider alternative translations.

The coming “day of distinction” doesn’t sound scary at all, but “day of judgment” sounds heavier.

Consider II Peter 2:9 in the New King James translation: “The Lord knows how to deliver the godly out of temptations and to reserve the unjust under punishment for the day of judgment.”

Now look at it with a couple of words translated differently: “The Lord knows how to deliver the godly out of temptations and to reserve the unjust under correction for the day of distinction.”

Personally, I prefer to translate {krisis} as “crisis”. :mrgreen:

{krin-} in a cognate {krim-} eventually became our word “crime”, but the shift in meaning changed from what authorities do about immorality or unlawfulness, to what doers of immorality or unlawfulness are doing. “Judge-” helps put that meaning back on the authoritative action against such behavior.

One ancient cultural connotation that has been lost for our term, though, is that of a hero helping protect people living together. I haven’t figured out how to elegantly translate that concept yet.

Wouldn’t such a concept be found in ‘the Judges of Israel’… the precursor to the kings? As per the likes of:

The various rallying Judges in hero-like status defended and defeated on behalf of Israel.

I think I am going to go with the root word “distinct” to translate the Greek root word “krino” (typically translated as “judge”). Thus:

judge (noun) = distinguisher or one who makes distinct or one who makes distinctions
judge (verb) = distinguish or make distinct
judges (verb) = distinguishes or makes distinct
judged = distinguished or made distinct
judging = distinguishing or making distinct
judgment = distinction
judgments = distinctions

I am going to go with this because it takes the connotations of “dark, gloom, bad, Hell” out of the root word “judge”. One time too often I’ve ran into a person who blithely assumes that when the Bible talks about “judgment” it necessarily means “Christ throwing some people into Hell after they die and/or at the end of the world”.

The root word “distinct” does not carry any of those connotations. It sounds dispassionate, crisp, intellectual, and non-arbitrary.