The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Trials and Testing

I have been thinking of the various trials and testing we all experience lately. How did the people living at the time Paul and James wrote their letters understand this?? God is said to test us, NOT tempt us, but test in order to strengthen our faith and remove the impurities. How do we differentiate between God-given trials and testing as opposed to things caused by other people or ourselves?? Why are many seemingly able to persevere and handle testing much better than others??? Does God apportion to everyone a certain level of faith which then grows or weakens depending how we respond to testing??? Just thinking out loud here. Look forward to all of your thoughts. :slight_smile:

Hi Robert, hope you had a good holiday!

From my view we don’t. And that is the beginning of submission to Christ.

We can drive ourselves mad in trying to figure out 'did God allow my child to be sick to teach me something? Or did I cause that economic catastrophe myself, or did the car break down because it has 280k miles on it or is God trying to tell me something?

If we submit every part of our life to Christ’ (hard, hard thing to do) we would put all of the above in God’s hands, accept what God’s providence has given to us and through faith show our self strong through whatever comes. It is by out strength and resolve in Christ through adversity that God is glorified. It is truly faith in action.

And our adversity becomes testimony and we are then able to not only proclaim Christ, but be able to say to others who are going through similar trials, “Brother or sister, I’ve been there” and can be of real comfort and counsel. Nothing more powerful than a Christian going through tremendous trials thinking of others before them selves. Absolutely amazing.

Thanks,

Chad

Hey Chad- hope your holiday was wonderful as well!! I am in total agreement with all you shared. The key i was focusing on in my post was what you called the hard hard part In a small group i am in one guy talked about taking up our cross,denying ourself and following Jesus. i think the great struggle is exactly as you said Chad- it is VERY HARD!!! I think a lot of times we wear masks to hide exactly how hard it is because we feel so vulnerable and exposed before others. Funny thing is- everyone else is mostly thinking/feeling the same thing!!! :astonished: :wink: I wanted to explore how possibly seeing what trials and testing are more directly focused on our spiritual growth maybe it will help the hard part to be a lil less so :slight_smile:

Hey Chad- hope your holiday was wonderful as well!! I am in total agreement with all you shared. The key i was focusing on in my post was what you called the hard hard part In a small group i am in one guy talked about taking up our cross,denying ourself and following Jesus. i think the great struggle is exactly as you said Chad- it is VERY HARD!!! I think a lot of times we wear masks to hide exactly how hard it is because we feel so vulnerable and exposed before others. Funny thing is- everyone else is mostly thinking/feeling the same thing!!! :astonished: :wink: I wanted to explore how possibly seeing what trials and testing are more directly focused on our spiritual growth maybe it will help the hard part to be a lil less so :slight_smile:

All you need to do is sing this song :exclamation: :smiley:

Yes, except for this, I would sing that song :smiley:

:laughing: :laughing: Randy and Dave, good advice!!

Hey Robert,

Don’t worry about the stuff, cause we’ve all got troubles!

Put it all behind ya and walk His way!!

(there’s got to be an Aerosmith video in there somewhere!)

When we get rid of the baggage, life is pretty cool!!!

Thanks Robert :smiley:

IMO, it’s this life that’s the trial. I don’t really think God says, “Huh! Cindy needs a little more refinement in her response to A, so I’m going to send her trial B & C in order to test her and mold her.” I really think that trials just come and we get what falls to us, either as a natural consequence of our own actions, or as a consequence of the actions of others, or as just “one of those things.” Anymore, when something difficult comes to me (and right now there are frankly a LOT of difficult things), I don’t wonder what God is “trying to teach me.”

I think God does teach us through all the trials we face, when we’re willing to learn (and maybe even when we’re not willing to learn). I don’t think He necessarily picks out those trials to dump on us. Trials (any trials) can make us strong if we, trusting in Him, face them with His courage and endurance, in patience and submission and above all, in love and trust. This life is sometimes frankly hell. We’re on our way through–or for a preference, out–and there are better days ahead. Enjoy and be grateful for the good times, because storms will come. If your feet are founded on the rock, you will endure though everything around you may be washed away. You will survive–not as a wraith, but as a strong and capable daughter or son of God, confident of seeing better times and that much more capable of representing the house of YHWH as a mature member of the family. The trials and tribulations are not my favorite thing, but if we endure them with patience, we will reap the peaceable fruits of righteousness, and believe it or not, we’ll finally say, “As much as it hurt, I would do it again for the rewards I have reaped. I am grateful for the trials I experienced.” We will mean it, too. Most of the time, I don’t really think God is necessarily trying to teach us anything specific at all. He is allowing the trials in order to mature us. To make us strong.

No one ever became a true hero or heroine without undergoing horrific circumstances. It’s not the victories that make a hero; it’s the struggle and the perseverance and the character–whether s/he wins the day or not, the heroism still shines out from such a one. God is growing heroic daughters and sons, not handing out university degrees to good students who recite their lessons well. It’s not what He’s trying to teach you, but who’s image He is conforming you to.

Love and blessings,
Cindy

Hey @cindyskillman Sorry for long layoff my left hand is still really messed up so hard to type grrrrrrrrrr As always i love what you share :slight_smile: Jesus and God definitely want to grow our character. Why do you think for so many it is so hard to endure and patiently handle the trials?? There are times, too many lol, where i am facing pain either phyically,mentally or emotionally and i feel so overwhelmed by it but I know i should be rejoicing in it standing firm. Do all of you have similar things??? What really drives me crazy is that I have been a believer since 16, now 54 and I still feel so immature in how I handle trials and testing. Why can’t i just live in the maturity i know all too well??? Just writing and sharing helps me to know God understands my struggle though, at least for now lol Hope all of you are doing great :smiley: