The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Which Study Bible?

Hello everyone,
I would love to buy a Study Bible.
What do you know about the New Living Translation Study Bible?
Is there any Study Bible with an universal approach?
Thanks
Shalom and Love
Dani

Hi Doni:
It’s an individual approach. But I would recommend going to Amazon and looking at what the collective reviews and ratings are saying. They have different study bibles and just type in the keywords study bible. It’s a method that hasn’t let me down yet.

I don’t know of any study Bibles with a universalist approach. :frowning:

Jonathan Paul Mitchell however, has produced a highly interesting and unique New Testament translation (into English) which is helpful for studying various options of Greek grammatic or stylistic meaning; and he has been working on a set of commentaries for the New Testament Epistles for several years. So far, in three collections, he has commented on Romans (a commentary book to itself); First Peter, Philippians, Colossians, First Thessalonians, Second Thessalonians, First Timothy, Second Timothy, Titus, and James (all in his first commentary book); First John, Second John, Third John, Judah (Jude), Hebrews, and Galatians (all in his second commentary book).

Listing them another way for reference:

Romans (3rd commentary, by itself)
1 Corinthians (not yet)
2 Corinthians (not yet)
Galatians (2nd commentary)
Ephesians (not yet)
Philippians (1st commentary)
Colossians (1st)
1 Thessalonians (1st)
2 Thessalonians (1st)
1 Timothy (1st)
2 Timothy (1st)
Titus (1st)
Philemon (not yet)
Hebrews (2nd)
James (1st)
1 Peter (1st)
2 Peter (not yet)
1, 2, 3 John (2nd)
Jude (2nd)

So he’s still missing Philemon, Ephesians, and the two Corinthians. No doubt those are on the way, God willing and the creek don’t rise. :slight_smile: He hasn’t written commentaries on the Gospels, Acts, or RevJohn yet either.

His books are a little expensive, but he is a trinitarian Christian universalist (or was last I checked) and currently he’s the closest thing I know of to a Christian universalist study Bible, although obviously he’s only about half done with a Study NT.

Editions of his books are scattered around Amazon in various places, but you can find the latest links at his website: jonathanmitchellnewtestament.com/

He also updates his main work once a year, and tends to make previous editions available for free as a pdf. So the 2014 edition of his NT translation is available for free there.

thank you very much :slight_smile:

Hi Jason,

The Barclay Daily Study Bible sure does drift toward the UR view, as I believe Barclay was a Universalist. But In my e-sword, it shows as a commentary, (which is what it really is) and it to is NT.

Dani,

I would recommend e-sword. You can literally have dozens of bibles right at your fingertips!

Good luck.