The Evangelical Universalist Forum

In this way, all Israel will be saved (Rom 11.26)

If this statement of Paul affirms that all Israelites will be saved sometime in the relatively near future (from Paul’s day), it seems to contradict another passage which Paul wrote just 2 chapters earlier in the same letter:

*As indeed he says in Hosea, “Those who were not my people I will call ‘my people,’ and her who was not beloved I will call ‘beloved.’”

“And in the very place where it was said to them, ‘You are not my people,’ there they will be called ‘sons of the living God.’”

And Isaiah cries out concerning Israel: “Though the number of the sons of Israel be as the sand of the sea, only a remnant of them will be saved, for the Lord will carry out his sentence upon the earth fully and without delay.”

And as Isaiah predicted, “If the Lord of hosts had not left us offspring, we would have been like Sodom and become like Gomorrah.” (Romans 9:25-29)*

Paul seems to be saying that God is going to include some of the Gentiles in His people Israel. Also in Romans 11, he indicated that these Gentiles were wild olive branches which could be grafted into the main olive tree (Israel) and that some of the original branches would be cut off. He also warned the Gentiles who were grafted in not to be too cocky, for they could be cut off too if they didn’t continue in God’s kindness. Also if the original branches which were cut off didn’t persist in unbelief, they could be grafted in again.

So it’s all about being part of the true Israel, the remnant which makes up the Olive Tree. Those of the wider “natural Israel” who are not part of that remnant are not really Israelites.

As Paul also said in Romans 9:
…For not all who are descended from Israel belong to Israel . (Romans 9:6 ESV)

So God’s promises are to the true Israel, “the Israel of God” (Galatians 6:16). And how does Paul define “The Israel of God”? He defines it as “all who walk by this rule” (same verse). And what rule might that be? He explains it in the two preceding verses:

But far be it from me to boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world. For neither circumcision counts for anything, nor uncircumcision, but a new creation. (Galatians 6:14,15)

So those dear Jewish people who are not yet a new creation, are not part of the Israel of God to whom the promises have been given.

So in what way will all Israel be saved? Paul explains it:

And in this way all Israel will be saved, as it is written,
“The Deliverer will come from Zion,
he will banish ungodliness from Jacob”;
“and this will be my covenant with them
when I take away their sins.”
(Romans 11:26,27)

When the Deliver (the Messiah) comes from Zion (and He did!), He will banish ungodliness from Jacob (the “natural Israelites”) and will “take away their sins”. But that happened only to a small remnant who entrusted themselves to the Messiah when He came. The rest hardened themselves, and were cut off from the Olive Tree. In this way, all Israel, all of the true Israel, were saved, and will be saved.

If you are interested in reading more about this view consider the following article:

gospeltruth.net/gospel_of_the_kingdom/gotk_ch15.htm

Robin Parry has a new appendix in “The Evangeliical Universalist” that I found helpful in clarifying in what sense Paul seems to see “all Israel” (ethnic Jews) as included in God’s covenant promises, and in what sense only some of that traditional Israel qualifies for salvation.

Thanks for that, Dr. Wilson.

However, I searched for that appendix and couldnt find it.

Please provide a link for me.

:smiley: , I love and support Israel and believe that the saying is true ‘‘all Israel will be saved’’ but what exactly does this mean ?

good question :wink:

Paidon,

Sorry I’m so late. I don’t know that Parry’s new appendix on Romans 9-11 is available except where I found it: a published copy of the new edition of TEU.

Another passage on Israel’s salvation is:

Mt.1:21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name Jesus: for he shall save his people from their sins.
Mt.2:6b …my people Israel.