The Evangelical Universalist Forum

What is the "second" death?

The heritage in which I evolved (Seventh day Adventism) offers an explanation of the second death which I find utterly abhorrent. Namely, after the wicked dead have been raised (after the millennium) to be judged (yet again, it seems) they are AGAIN summarily executed (well, my tradition doesn’t put it that way; this is my way of expressing it). Already judged to be doomed to annihilation (SDA’s believe in annihilation, not hell; see Jason Pratt’s essay on Dr Bacchiochi’s chapter) they are again raised to face death again; the second death. As I say, abhorrent. Like ancient tales of parading captives bound and gagged and maimed to show we’ve “won”.

So what is the second death then? I need help here.

Rev 20:14 talks about Death and Hades being thrown in to the Lake of Fire and says “this is the second death”.
Rev 21:8 makes a list of various “lowlife” categories and says (NASB) "their part will be in the Lake of Fire that burns with Fire and Brimstone, which is the second death.

What’s going on here?

I’m a dude here in 2009, age 52, and I will die sometime in the next 50 years most likely. First death.
But death is also used often to describe our death to self/sin and so on.

So, are we talking about two general era’s of death? The second death being the one where all those who had to endure “hell” for rehabilitative purposes finally experience that death to self/sin that those already redeemed have experienced earlier??

Wondering…

TotalVictory

So, are we talking about two general era’s of death? The second death being the one where all those who had to endure “hell” for rehabilitative purposes finally experience that death to self/sin that those already redeemed have experienced earlier??

In short, I see the Bible teaching that the second death is temporary hell. And by the way, many in the Ancient Church taught that hell was temporary before the Roman Catholic church developed its doctrine of purgatory for baptized believers who needed purging before going to heaven.

Keeping in mind that the death-of-death is part of the second death (can’t have a resurrection of the evil as well as of the good, without the “death” of death and hades!); I tend to agree. Sinners who still insist on their sinning when the time of the general resurrection comes, will have to keep being punished (light or heavy as God judges best for helping to lead them home).

That could easily include me, by the way; I don’t automatically exempt myself merely on grounds of being formally or ritually “a Christian”. (On the contrary, I’m strenuously warned in the scriptures that I’m going to be rudely surprised if I approach my “salvation” that way.) I don’t exempt myself at all.

1 Like

Had the chance last week to hear Billy Collins at a reading of his poetry. My daughter invited me – so of course I jumped at the chance to be with her – and to hear Collins. And he mentioned (the context was a wee bit vague) the idea of two deaths from a poets perspective. This second death was that moment when the last personal memory of you dies. When that last person who knew you, who had a tale to tell about you, dies. So not only are you dead, but the memory of you is too. You’re just a blip on a mythic family tree recorded, perhaps, in some family bible.

What I love about Universalism though is that the memory of us never ever dies; we continue on in the mind of almighty God. A mind which will restore us to unity with Him. Forever. When we die then, everything about us radiates outward into the cosmos somehow; not forgotten at all but recorded by God so that He may reconstruct us someday. No, I got no idea how this works!

TotalVictory

Bobx3

John the baptist says Jesus will baptize with the Holy Spirit and with fire (Matt 3:11 & Luke 3:16). Most Hell-Burners read the “and” as OR, and they will tell you that those verses mean you will go to Hell if you don’t accept Christ.

I don’t agree-I think the second death is actually the death of sin, and the lake of fire (limne pur) is the symbolic “fire’” baptism EVERYONE has to go through to be purified and made holy before they enter God’s holy city. God, in Hebrews 12:29 and several other verses, is either called a “consuming fire” (katanalisko pur), or sends out a “consuming fire”. The lake of burning sulphur is a symbol of the PURification all men will receive after they die.

ALL men sin, and most continue to do so up until the day they die. If you look at the “list” of sins in Rev 21:8 EVERYONE commits at least one of those in their lifetime, so nobody AVOIDS the second death. If one is a “believer” who “overcomes” his sins he is better off than a nonbeliever, but he will still get “baptized” in the lake of fire.

When everyone is dead and sheol/hades/tartarus/gehenna/hell is empty there is no longer any need for them, so they are “thrown into the lake of fire” and “consumed”

Neither verse say that these people will not be subjected to the second death, only that it won’t hurt them or have any power over them. The Hell-Burners are convinced that they will all be able to AVOID the second death and will be in the group who will reign for 1000 years. I think they will be in for a big surprise because they haven’t “overcome” their sins.

God the “consuming fire”, in effect, destroys all the effects of sin and death forever by dunking them in the lake of fire-this is the second death. It will not be pleasant for any of us. It will be extremely painful for most of us. But it will not be eternal for any of us.

That’s a pretty good point!

Actually, the experience would be eternal. God the Holy Spirit is the light and the fire being spoken of. He doesn’t stop existing or operating eventually! The death of death is life; the life is the light of men; but men don’t want to be dealing with the light, preferring darkness instead, because their deeds are evil.

The unpleasantness might not be eternal, but the fire of life, the life from God, the zoe_ eo_nian: that’s eternal. Whether we want it or not. :wink:

Yes, I agree that the “light” from God’s all-consuming fire will be eternal, and we will all have an eternal state of holiness (happiness? love-filled-ness?) within that light after the 2nd death. Perhaps I should have stated that I don’t think the painful and/or unpleasant aspects of the “dunking” will be eternal. We will emerge from our baptism by fire purified, made holy, and ready to enter God’s presence…eternally.

I imagine the process of the 2nd death to be like a trial, judgement, punishment, and then release from the “prison” created by sin.

This is a bit of an old thread, but I’ve been browsing through quite a bit of stuff here. I have to disagree with the following:

I think 20:15 suggests that NOT everyone goes into the lake of fire: “And if anyone’s name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.” I don’t see anything here that says that everyone experiences the second death or gets “baptized” in the lake of fire. That language just isn’t here at all. It seems clear that only those whose names are not written in the Lamb’s book of life go into the lake of fire, along with death and Hades. This sounds more like annihilation than universal redemption, although 22:15 seems to rule out annihilation. But this is one question I’ve been wondering about. I’m not sure how you can get around this unless 1) everyone’s name is written in the Lamb’s book of life, and so the subset of those whose names are not = 0, or 2) just as there is life after the first death for some, so there is life after the second death for the remainder whose names were not in the Lamb’s book of life.

But you also have the fact that only those whose names are in the book of life are allowed into the city (in 21:27 which looks like is AFTER the second death), and then in 22:14-15 those whose robes are washed can enter the city while the immoral and so forth are outside the city (though nothing about them being in conscious torment or any such thing). This would seem to suggest that the ones who experienced the second death and the lake of fire are still left out of something afterwards, doesn’t it?

I think there is a misunderstanding here.

I think what prodigal son meant was that either you become an overcoming Christian (in which case you willingly submit to God’s fiery purification in your lifetime - die daily to Christ or a type of second death) or you remain in your sins and face the fiery trial post mortem in the metaphorical lake of fire.

It also doesn’t say that Christians won’t enter the lake of fire it’s just that they won’t be hurt of it. Subjecting to it willingly in this life (God scourges every son he loves) entails less hurt than subjecting to it unwillingly post mortem.

Hi Jeff,

Your posts are very interesting to me. You sound like a Christian, but you call yourself an agnostic. How much of an agnostic are you, really? :slight_smile:

This part I get, and I think I agree with it.

This part I don’t agree with, or I don’t think I do. Revelation seems to strongly imply that only those whose names are not written in the Lamb’s book of life are thrown into the lake of fire. It’s true that there are a couple of verses that say that the second death has no power over the overcomers, and they will not be hurt by it, but that would be the case if they just simply didn’t go through it at all, wouldn’t it? Unless you mean to say that the overcomers still can enter the lake of fire of their own free will and not be hurt by it, while unbelievers are thrown into it (suggesting that they’d rather not be!) for their painful process of purification. That might be a possible reading of the text, though it’s not the most obvious one! Of course, Revelation is highly symbolic and is basically a description of John’s vision anyhow, so it’s hard to know what to make of all of this in terms of what it will be like literally. I’ve often thought the lake of fire just is God himself, who of course is described as a consuming fire in the NT.

I listened to a podcast last night from the “Unbelievable?” radio program (which I’ve been listening to for a long time and highly recommend, especially for agnostics! :wink: ) which featured Gregory MacDonald with a disguised voice (I’m just dying to know who this guy is now – I hope he comes “out of the closet” someday! It sounds to me like he has a British accent, so that rules out American evangelicals unlss he was faking the accent) and Eric Stetson. Stetson suggested that in the next age the resurrected saints will actually participate in preaching to the unconverted in hell (the lake of fire I guess) just as Christ did. That was quite a unique idea. It would be nice to think that I could have a chance to share the Gospel with my unsaved identical twin brother in the next life if he doesn’t get saved in this one.

Actually, one of the things I’ve noticed since I started toying with hopeful universalism is that I feel a lot more love for my twin brother. He’s always been very hostile to religion, and when I got saved over 20 years ago it created something of a rift between us. I’ve spent my life since then in theological education or full time ministry, and there are very few interests we have in common other than sports. Everything I’ve dedicated my life to he is opposed to. I’ve never really been able to talk to him about my faith just because he’s so hostile. We both heard the Gospel from our grandmother as kids. So I’ve always just thought we’d both had the same chances, I accepted it and he rejected it, and as far as I could tell he was just going to hell and there was nothing I could do about it. I had very little in the way of hope for him. Now I have hope, and somehow that just gives me more love for him, and I would say more love for all unbelievers. Isn’t that strange?

Frazman,
Your experience sounds similar to my own. I don’t have much time now, but it might be fun to dialogue on the situation.
I don’t really know whether UR is true or not, but I hope that it is! I have a similar experience with my brother. It’s very hard to converse since we differ so much in our beliefs (we both like to talk sports a little bit as well). I feel like there will be a blow up if I express much of my beliefs whereas he feels quite free to speak of his! I was wondering- are you an evangelical? I don’t like labels too much but I have commerce usually with evangelicals…
roofus

Hi Roofus,

Yes, I would qualify as an evangelical by just about any standard I can think of. My theological training and ministry experience has all been in the evangelical tradition, more specifically the Wesleyan tradition, although I came to Christ outside of any denomination, more through my own personal experience of God (and my grandmother) than through any church. I think one result of that is that I’m pretty open to considering ideas that a lot of evangelicals would consider heretical. Even though I’m very much theologically and philosophically minded, I realized long ago that we aren’t saved by our doctrinal statements! Sometimes I think that a lot of evangelicals really believe that “salvation by faith” means “salvation by correct dogma” and that the unpardonable sin is having an error in your doctrinal statement. But that’s another issue altogether. So I already hold some views that many people would probably think disqualify me as an evangelical. But I hold firmly to the bodily, historical Resurrection of Jesus, the authority of Scripture and the necessity of faith AND repentance for salvation. With a lot of evangelicals I don’t think the Resurrection has a central place in their thinking, and repentance is often relegated to an optional thing after conversion.

I don’t want to bore you with my whole theological system. But I’ve realized in the last week or so that UR just really fits a lot better with the rest of my beliefs than ECT. I think it makes for a much more coherent and robust theology than the traditional view. At the moment I consider myself a hopeful evangelical universalist, but I could easily see myself ending up as a dogmatic evangelical universalist! Actually, I’ve never really believed in ECT. I’ve had a vague C.S. Lewis view of damnation even though it’s been years since I read the Great Divorce and there’s a lot about Lewis’s thinking I don’t know. It’s interesting that he was influenced by George MacDonald so much, whom I’ve never read but evidently was a universalist.

But when you speak of experience, it’s interesting to me that in the last week I’ve read several people say that when they came to accept UR, it gave them a greater sense of God’s love, made them more loving towards others, gave them more peace, and so forth. I’ve had the exact same experience. It didn’t at all make me think, “well if everyone goes to heaven it doesn’t matter what I do.” On the contrary, I’ve had a much closer sense of God’s presence than I have for years, and it makes me want to be as pure and holy as I possibly can so I can abide in his love. It’s given me more of the fruit of the Spirit, especially love, peace, and patience. Even my wife has commented on it. I often have a bit of a short fuse, and can get to shouting at the kids and things like that pretty easily. I’ve just had noticeably less of that in the last few days as I’ve been going through all of this. When I first experienced God it was as a presence of pure warmth, light, and love just like the Bible says. Most of my experience of God in the church has been very dry by comparison. But lately I feel that same warmth, light and love that I’ve had only occasionally in my Christian life. I’m a good enough Wesleyan to believe that experience counts for a lot as long as it doesn’t violate Scripture. I guess a lot of people might say that this DOES violate Scripture, but that’s not at all clear to me, and I feel like my eyes have been opened to a substantial number of places where Scripture seems to very clearly teach UR.

Although actually, when I started working out my view of hell (about a week or so ago I guess) I had an overwhelming sense of dread that sort of hung over me for a few days. I didn’t really know what was happening with that, except that as I thought about whether there really is a hell of never-ending conscious torment I was repulsed. I even had something like nightmares about it after reading one book that vividly and graphically presents ECT as a sort of foundational belief for Christians that we should base our lives on in the here-and-now. I don’t know how to say it, but the idea actually seems possibly demonic to me now. In fact it’s occurred to me that some sort of belief in hell may be universal in all cultures and religions, and that belief is what keeps people in bondage to false gods and idolatry, hoping to stay out of hell. Jesus came to free us from that fear and dread. But according to the traditional view, most people still end up in hell. So how can that free anyone from fear of hell if you don’t find out until you die whether you made it or not? You still have to live with the possibility that you might blow it altogether. Even if you’re into eternal security (which I never have been), there’s still the possibility that you’re deceived about your own salvation, so I’ve never understood how people thought that to be a comforting doctrine. It’s only comforting if it’s true AND if you infallibly know that you are among the elect. But it seems like the latter knowledge may be impossible to have. How could you ever know that your belief in your own election is infallibly true? You could HOPE it’s true, but you could never KNOW it’s true infallibly.

Actually, as I write this it occurs to me that UR could make sense out of the seemingly contradictory statements in Scripture that seem to teach eternal security on the one hand and that warn against falling away on the other. This would make sense if it were the case that your final salvation is secure even if you fall away, but that falling away means passing through painful judgment and discipline. It might even help to make sense of predestination and free will. That would be a kicker, wouldn’t it? Maybe the big problem on both sides is the underlying assumption that not all are ultimately saved. I’ll have to do some more thinking about that. I don’t know what I’m going to do if I conclude that this doctrine solves otherwise irresolvable theological difficulties. I’d have a hard time keeping that to myself. But I’m not really prepared to go public in the foreseeable future. I can sympathize with Gregory MacDonald wanting to keep his identity secret. I don’t think most evangelicals are prepared to handle this idea. But maybe God is doing a new thing. There does seem to be a sea change among evangelicals in general these days, though not all of it is good in my opinion. But I think a lot of younger evangelicals would be more than happy to get rid of ECT. If they could see a way to do that while still holding to the same high view of Scripture and without being a demotivation to either evangelism or obedience to God, many of them would probably jump at it. The rest would excommunicate the heretics!

Frazman,
I am a true agnostic (leaning towards atheism). I have spent many years studying the bible for reasons too complicated to go into here. I have said before on these boards that I could easily pass myself off as a Christian but won’t as that would make me a hypocrite.

Suffice to say I’m quite taken with the theory that Christianity is just another form of sun worship and has grown out of the same origins as myths like that of Horus and Osiris, Mithra, Bacchus, Krishna and many, many others and that the 12 disciples reflect astrological concerns (no wonder the Zoroastran magi were involved). Anyway I am happy that Christianity is just another man-made religion.

However, whether or not Christians go into the lake of fire or not at the exact time of the passage quoted I think the main point is that at some point everyone faces the fire of purification which is God. Christians aren’t exempt from that as this passage indicates (the reference here is to people who are Christians because they have built on the foundation of God - Jesus).

The Christian here is threatened with destruction (just like the unrepentant) although it’s not stated here what the defilement would be that leads to destruction (which interestingly is separate from the burning scenario). It would be interesting to check out what constituted defilement by a priest in the Old Testament.

Thanks, Fraz-
I was speaking more of my relating to my brother, but the points you make are interesting. I don’t think that UR settles the eternal security thing that you mentioned: “even if you’re into eternal security (which I never have been), there’s still the possibility that you’re deceived about your own salvation, so I’ve never understood how people thought that to be a comforting doctrine. It’s only comforting if it’s true AND if you infallibly know that you are among the elect. But it seems like the latter knowledge may be impossible to have. How could you ever know that your belief in your own election is infallibly true? You could HOPE it’s true, but you could never KNOW it’s true infallibly.”

The problem is that you can’t have infallible knowledge about UR either :cry:

True, although if UR is true then your final salvation is assured. Eternal security can be true but you still not be among the elect. You need two beliefs to be infallibly true in order for eternal security to be of comfort - with UR you only need one! Although it’s actually just the witness of Holy Spirit with our spirit that gives us assurance anyhow. Dogma is of little use in this regard. Score another one for experience! :smiley:.

I still see no way to avoid fallibility, as “experiences” differ from person to person!

There is no way to avoid fallibility entirely. But the alternative of universal skepticism, or maybe solipsism, is a black hole of despair best to be avoided. Nobody can actually live like that unless they’re literally insane. We have to accept some given in order to have any knowledge at all.

I’m not saying experience is enough by itself. It needs to be confirmed by Scripture, tradition and reason according to the Wesleyan model (which I think is a pretty good one). But the witness of the Spirit (which Wesley was very big on) is a direct apprehension of Truth and thus gives me a certainty that can’t be had by inductive or deductive reasoning processes. Propositional truths will always leave me with doubt. Assurance can only come through direct apprehension of Truth. When I’m speaking of assurance, I’m referring to my own internal state. Could I still be wrong? Sure, but at least I’m happy. That’s better than being in the position of being possibly wrong and miserable about it! :smiley:

Your statement “could I still be wrong?” (actually your answer "yes! to that question) makes you a skeptic still though, doesn’t it? Your point that to doubt everything leads to insanity is so true, yet I think that the admittance of fallibility kind of admits skepticism but commits in faith anyway (kind of a contained skepticism).

To anyone agnostic (or considering being an atheist), consider:

youtube.com/watch?v=nEdpkdkjLf0

and

youtube.com/watch?v=X3NuAkXUwu0

Interesting video links, DanB, but I prefer alternative, more credible presentations concerning these amazing archeological discoveries.

Regarding The Exodus of the Israelites from Egypt under Moses, the discovery of chariot parts, and other dramatic archeological evidence corroborating the biblical narrative, there was a new documentary released last year, Patterns of Evidence: The Exodus,” from Timothy P. Mahoney. It has been making the rounds in various film festivals. It includes an impressive cast of noteworthy people being interviewed.

In turn, ”Patterns of Evidence: The Exodus" builds on the research of Professor Lennart Moller of the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm (one of Europe’s most prestigious medical universities). The particular works of Dr. Moller that are being drawn from for this new documentary include his book The Exodus Case, and his own stunning documentary entitled "The Exodus Revealed: Search for the Red Sea Crossing" (Questar, Discovery Media, 2002).

Dr. Moller’s work, in turn, builds on the the discoveries of the late Ron Wyatt, a controversial amateur archeologist, particularly regarding Wyatt’s discovery of chariot parts in the gulf of Aqaba, and Wyatt’s investigation of the possible site of the actual Mt. Sinai in Saudi Arabia.

Blessings.