The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Penal Substitution passages: Galatians 3:13

Galatians 3:13 - Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us—for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who is hanged on a tree”

This is a quote from Deuteronomy 21:

“And if a man has committed a crime punishable by death and he is put to death, and you hang him on a tree, 23 his body shall not remain all night on the tree, but you shall bury him the same day, for a hanged man is cursed by God. You shall not defile your land that the Lord your God is giving you for an inheritance."

Many people use this reference to support the idea that Jesus was cursed by God because of the explicit statement in the middle of verse 23.

Is this right or not? Thoughts?

He (willingly) became a curse for us is what I read there. I dont know if “God cursed him” really describes what occurred, in Jesus offering Himself for us, or in God receiving that sacrifice.

The “curse of the law” is, “He who practices them shall live by them”…works as opposed to faith.

I also think the verses may be a way of communicating, as God apparently did, good hygiene and dietary practices through religious dictates- since a decaying body left hangin on a tree for days would definitely be a “curse” or an “accursed” practice.

Jesus, His dead body representing the old covenant under the law of Moses, became that “curse of the law” for us, and then rose up having conquered that very curse.

I personally don’t believe that the entire bible is the infallible word of God. This is why we must measure everything up to what Jesus says. Would the God we know curse Jesus?
One of the reasons Jesus came to Earth was to straighten things out. “Prepare the way of the Lord, make His path straight”
At the time, the laws were being misinterpreted, abused, and things had been added that weren’t actually from God. Mark 7:8 For laying aside the commandment of God, you hold the tradition of men- the washing of pitchers and cups, and many other such things you do."
The Lord came and brought us the truth. He separated His laws from those of men. “Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar’s, and to God the things that are God’s.” God’s laws are to remain separate so that we don’t become confused. This is why a lot of the old religious practices and rituals went by the wayside because they weren’t what God required.

Did God put Him there or did sinful men?
Paul’s letter to the Corinthians seems to suggest that God was on the cross with Him.
For God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, no longer counting people’s sins against them. And he gave us this wonderful message of reconciliation.

Deuteronomy 26-28 “Behold, I set before you today a blessing and a curse: the blessing, if you obey the commandments of the Lord your God which I command you today; and the curse, if you do not obey the commandments of the Lord your God, but turn aside from the way which I command you today, to go after other gods which you have not known.”
According to these verses, this is the way it is supposed to be. When lawlessness takes over and becomes the ruling power, the world is turned upside down. People who follow God’s way are the one’s who are cursed. God came to restore the truth, knowing that He would be killed for doing so. He did this willing because of His love for us.

If a man commits a crime, and someone takes the penalty for that guilty person, publicly, for reason of love for that person, then that person is punished for the crime and suffers the pain of the penalty- but they do not suffer the inner penalty og guilt associated with cmmitting a crime against another.

Which aspect of the curse was Jesus cursed with? The penalty only, I believe, for He never knew sin.

He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, so that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.

He was the scapegoat. The sins of the people were put on Him and He was sent outside the city to suffer the penalty of their iniquity.

Surely our griefs He Himself bore, And our sorrows He carried; Yet we ourselves esteemed Him stricken, Smitten of God, and afflicted. 5But He was pierced through for our transgressions, He was crushed for our iniquities; The chastening for our well-being fell upon Him, And by His scourging we are healed. 6All of us like sheep have gone astray, Each of us has turned to his own way; But the LORD has caused the iniquity of us all To fall on Him.…
Isaiah 53

"But God raised Him up again, putting an end to the agony of death, since it was impossible for Him to be held in its power. Acts 2

What is the penalty for sin? Is it the violent death of our physical bodies, and who is requiring this?

Just bumping this. Haven’t really read the responses yet but thanks very much for them. Will probably read through them tomorrow.

It’s an interesting verse (and reference) and I think it does need some scrutiny so it would be a shame to end it here.

I have a problem with penal substitution for the following reasons:
1.The Old Testament tells us that God never required this. Jesus tells us the same thing.

1. If the punishment for sin is to suffer physically and Jesus took that punishment for us, this should mean that we no longer suffer physically for sin. Yet, we see that this is not true because sin still causes death and destruction.

2. If Jesus died on the cross so that we may have eternal life with God, then the punishment for sin would be eternal life without God. Is Jesus suffering this fate for us? Sin still does cause us to live lives without God. When we sin for however long, even if it be for eternity, then we remain separated from God.

What did Jesus come to do? He came to give us the solution to sin. Follow God and His word.