The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Frederick William Farrar - Mercy and Judgment

I am not sure this is the right forum to ask, if not, feel to move it. But I had recently been made aware of Frederic William Farrar. Although I have only read the first chapter is his MONSTROUS book (500+ pages) I am questioning what his real position was. He seems to have taken a George MacDonald position, but I am not certain of it. When he was accused of Universalism, he states, what feels like, curses that he is believes in no such thing. It reminded me of when Peter denied Jesus, he got so tired of being accused to be his following, he just said ‘No, I am not! and started cursing, or something like that’. Just curious.

His work is peculiar because he says how he believes in Eternal Punishment, but goes on to say that Eternal isn’t meant the way 99% of the Christian means it. I say, if a word has changed in usage, you best not use the word anymore. His whole denial seems so ambiguous. Curious if others could chime in. I am not sure I want to read 500 pages if he remains this ambiguous throughout the book. Tentmaker lists the book as the best scholarly books out there for Universalism. It is called “Mercy and Judgment”. I may read it anyway, and I was impressed with the first chapter, but I am still trying to figure out why he is being so ambiguous.

Not sure if this is the same person, but someone of the same name is on Wiki: Frederic William Farrar. The article says that

In another bio entry Frederic William Farrar, it says: