The Evangelical Universalist Forum

What makes an interpretation convincing to you?

The bible is not simple. There are more interpretations of each bit of it than I can count.

Q1) What makes a particular interpretation of such-and-such a passage convincing to you?
Q2) Why do you think other people are not convinced by the same things you are?
Q3) Is there any way to resolve differences of interpretation between people?
Q4) Given that many more educated people than you disagree with your interpretation, how confident can you be in your opinion?
Q5) What are the ramifications of this?

Interesting questions and I wish I had more time to give thoughtful answers but I’ll try to give some off the top of my head:

1. I’d like to say:
    If it comes from an understanding of the cultural, historical context. If it takes into account the genre of literature and is not out of context with the passage/book. If it is consistent with other texts (or at least not contradicted by other texts). If it is in line with my knowledge of the character of God.
    But , as I count myself no different from any other person (in most regards), then I have to admit that subconsciously it probably:
    Has to be in line with the belief I already hold (from my familial background etc). Perhaps has to agree with my secret desires for such an interpretation to be true. Has to be in line with my prejudices.
    Beyond all that I really DO believe that, if I can free myself from my own prejudices and be receptive to God’s voice, then His Spirit will lead me to Truth.

2. They have different backgrounds, different desires, a better (or worse) knowledge, different prejudices.

3. I think discussion helps a great deal and that is the value of these sorts of forums. I actually believe that there should be more room for honest discussion within churches but the topics are so sensitive that most churches cannot cope with true examination of dearly held beliefs. I believe there are times when this discussion should be gentle and other times when it ought to be very robust.

4. I imagine that for any interpretation there are people more intelligent and more educated than myself on BOTH (or ALL) sides of the argument. Take the question “Does God exist?” there are folks far more educated and intelligent than myself, some who are convinced one way, some the other. But on spiritual matters I can well believe that neither education nor intelligence are as important as a pure heart.

5. I’m not sure. Food for thought. Thank you. I look forward to other persons suggestions.

Cheers pilgrim :slight_smile:

It probably leans towards a position I either already hold or am myself leaning towards.

Their bent is not my bent, i.e., they’re leaning elsewhere.

That might depend on how well one presents their position and or how open/genuine an enquirer might be.

I’m usually confident in my position UNTIL I “see” otherwise. I like being right BUT I don’t have a need to be right as I know I’ve been wrong so many times before.

“Rightness” of belief is no prerequisite to the love of God BUT wrong belief can sure hamper its effectiveness in one’s life IN THIS LIFE.

Q1) What makes a particular interpretation of such-and-such a passage convincing to you?

It needs to square with the overall portrait of God given in scripture, which is ultimately that God is love, light, a consuming fire, salvation, spirit, One. That God is just, merciful, faithful, the Father of all, mighty to save, and so on. Also that God is loving toward all (as in 1 Cor 13) and that nothing He decides to do can be denied Him.

It needs to make sense logically – that is, it cannot contradict itself, nor can it contradict the other opinions which the person offering the interpretation has also espoused. If it seems to contradict other scriptural passages, I’ll need an explanation for this apparent contradiction.

Q2) Why do you think other people are not convinced by the same things you are?

People have varying reasons for this. Some honestly look at all the evidence and see things differently. Some have a higher opinion of the traditional positions of the church than I do. Some haven’t seen all the evidence, and are so persuaded by what they already believe they know, that they aren’t able to look at all the evidence objectively (yet). People give varying weight to different types of evidence. Often people take passages literally that were (imo) intended to be taken metaphorically, symbolically, mythically, etc. People hold differing opinions on what it would or would not be moral and right for God to do. Many people truly cannot see that they themselves practice selective interpretational methods – ie, they interpret the same passages in opposing ways, depending on how they wish to use the passages. And no doubt there are many more reasons besides these.

Q3) Is there any way to resolve differences of interpretation between people?
It depends on the people and on the strength of their opinions – also on the particular scriptures themselves. Some scriptures genuinely do contradict one another. For example, in the Pentateuch we see (apparently) God commanding Moses concerning sacrifices and offerings. Yet later in the prophets (Isaiah I think?) God says, I gave you no command concerning sacrifices and offerings. Here, I think, is a reason to consider that the bible may be a collection of literature BY human beings ABOUT God and, while inspired and profitable for many things, not always laying out the entire, or entirely accurate portrait of God. This is why we need to take scripture in the context of the entirety of scripture – and in context with the revealed nature of God in Christ Jesus.
Q4) Given that many more educated people than you disagree with your interpretation, how confident can you be in your opinion?

Education and study, cultural, linguistic, literary knowledge and analysis are vital tools for the interpretation of scripture – however – these things must not be expected to LEAD to life. The life of the community is important, and I think this life/knowledge of God, is often subjugated to the opinions of highly learned men which are imposed from the top down. People submit to these rulings because they are told they must, since said highly learned men explain to them that they (the learned) are placed over them (the commoners) by God, for the good of their souls. Perhaps this is accurate, but history and current events have shown alike that such is not always an accurate claim.

I think that we must use the tools that God has given us (our brains), but that the brain/intellect must always BE the tool of our spirits/hearts which ought always to be listening to God’s Holy Spirit at that deepest level of our being (that is, the heart/spirit). We must live from our spirits/God’s Spirit, and the brain be subjected to the heart/spirit. If we live from the intellect, we will always disagree. I think that it is eventually possible, for those who drink of the Spirit liberally and consistently, to agree.

Q5) What are the ramifications of this?

We always choose to eat from the wrong tree when left to ourselves. Jesus came to give us life. (He is the Tree of Life, I believe.) But we want knowledge. We worship it in fact, in western society at least. Knowledge is a good thing, but a servant who usurps the authority of his master is a bad thing, and knowledge is meant to be the servant of spirit – not the other way round.

So . . . my opinion fwiw. :wink:

Most importantly, if it is in accordance with the Liturgy of the Orthodox Church. If more than one interpretation is in accord with the Liturgy, I go with the one which more clearly and gloriously highlights the loving-kindness of the Holy Trinity.

Because they are not members of the Orthodox Church, and they therefore do not consider the Church’s Liturgy to be the authoritative interpretation of the Scriptures.

Yes, by people converting to Orthodoxy.

The Orthodox Church boasts an uncountable number of saints illumined by the Holy Trinity’s Uncreated Energies. I am very comfortable taking that deification as confirmation of the truthfulness of the Church’s teachings.

God has shown great grace unto me, a sinner.