Biblical Support for Universalism

Theology from a biblical approach. Topics posted should have a direct relationship to scripture.

Biblical Support for Universalism

Postby Daniel (Da Pilgrim) » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:12 pm

Hi everyone,

Firstly, I just want to say thank you to you all for your assistance in my journey towards a more Universalist understanding of Scripture. I have used your forum many a time as I had questions, or was simply looking for a general understanding amongst Universalists.

My friend and I have a blog from the land down under (New Zealand) called "The Benevolent Hecklers". On it I have nearly finished writing a series of articles with the aim of putting out a Biblical and rational perspective of Universalism. I thought I would share it here as a further resource for anyone else wanting to explore thinking around Universalism.

The series first discusses Arminianism, why it is attractive, and what are some of its problems both scripturally and philosophically. Then I move to Calvinism and discuss its attractiveness, but also some of its scriptural and philosophical problems. I have recently added two posts looking at Universalism from a Biblical perspective. I have yet to write a post that will pull it all together in a more Theologically systematic approach, but plan to in the near future.

The deterministic Universalism I portray may be slightly different to many of the systemic understandings here but I thought it might be good to share as a contribution to the wider body of knowledge around Evangelical Universalism.

Here is a link to the series http://thebenevolenthecklers.blogspot.co.nz/2015/10/biblical-support-for-universalism-part-6.html

Cheers!

Daniel
“I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.” - C.S. Lewis

http://thebenevolenthecklers.blogspot.co.nz/
Daniel (Da Pilgrim)

Re: Biblical Support for Universalism

Postby Daniel (Da Pilgrim) » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:34 pm

I just had an idea! But will need your participation :)

What verses or concepts are YOUR FAVOURITE ones that support Universalism. Myself and many others around the world would greatly benefit from a collation of personal scriptures for Universalism from different people!

If you have any to share please do! :D
“I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.” - C.S. Lewis

Daniel (Da Pilgrim)

Postby Neil » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:09 am

Daniel (Da Pilgrim) wrote:I just had an idea! But will need your participation :)

What verses or concepts are YOUR FAVOURITE ones that support Universalism. Myself and many others around the world would greatly benefit from a collation of personal scriptures for Universalism from different people!

If you have any to share please do! :D

hmm, nobody shared ?..nobody commented on your blog ?...not too surprised..sadly,this website (overall) seems a bit 'dead' at the moment ...hardly a 'hot' buzzing website...seems like not that many worldwide are interested in Christian Universalism which is a shame really as, in my view, it is the truth...never mind...I for one appreciated your post and your blog..cheers !.
Neil

Postby lancia » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:01 am

I posted this twice before in other threads, but it seems to fit here as well. The basis for this argument is in Talbott's The Inescapable Love of God.

Two strong claims exist in the Bible, claims that can serve as premises in a powerful argument.

Premise 1: God desires that all be saved.

Premise 2: God accomplishes all that He desires.

Conclusion: All will be saved.

Supporting biblical verses for premise 1

1 Timothy 2:4, [God] desires everyone to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.

2 Peter 3:9, The Lord . . . is not willing that any should perish, but [wills instead] that all should come to repentance.

Lamentations 3:22 and 3:31-33, The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases, his mercies never come to an end. . . . For the Lord will not reject forever. Although he causes grief, he will have compassion according to the abundance of his steadfast love; for he does not willingly afflict or grieve anyone.

Supporting biblical verses for premise 2

Job 42:2, I know that you [the Lord God] can do all things, and that no purpose of yours can be thwarted.

Isaiah 46:10b and 11b, My counsel shall stand, and I will accomplish all my purpose . . . I have spoken, and I will bring it to pass; I have purposed, and I will do it.

Isaiah 55:11, So will My word be which goes forth from My mouth; It will not return to Me empty, Without accomplishing what I desire, And without succeeding in the matter for which I sent it.
lancia

Postby Robert » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:02 pm

Hey Daniel- I posted on the what is truth thread about your website a few days ago, take a gander when you can. I don;t have the verses off the top of my head but i think the one where it says nothing is impossible with God works. Many scattered throughout Romans. I thoroughly enjoyed your website and look forward to reading many more of the posts there in the future. I especially liked the series on how to interpret scripture.

Cheers- Robert
Robert

Postby Cindy Skillman » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:04 pm

There are so many, it's difficult to choose just one. I guess I'm going with Colossians 1:19-20.

For in Him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell, and through Him to reconcile to Himself all (things), whether on earth or in heaven, making peace by the blood of His cross.

That to me is the granddaddy of UR verses. However, you might enjoy Gerry Beauchemin's free book, "Hope Beyond Hell," in which he has compiled a truly amazing (and l-o-n-g) collection of scriptures supporting UR. Just search and you will find. You can get it at his website or if you want it in .mobi format (for Kindle), that's free at Amazon.
. . . we have put our hope in the living God, who is the Savior of everyone, especially of those who believe. (1 Timothy 4:10)

http://www.journeyintotheson.com
Cindy Skillman
Administrator

Postby Daniel (Da Pilgrim) » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:43 pm

Hi all,

Sorry for not being around much lately, blogging can be time consuming and I have many commitments! :)

Neil,
I agree. It is sad that more people aren't excited about the notion that all people could/will be saved! The notion can be received with such hostility. I personally think it is because Universalism is so radical to previous doctrinal assumptions, that looking into it may mean shattering the "safety" of a predisposed world view. If we question one area, our idea of truth may be different to what we previously thought. It can be scary and we can all be subject to this!

Thanks Lancia for your write up on a concise premise for Universalism :)

Robert,
I am glad you enjoyed the website. We do get various people contributing and commenting from different schools of thought, but the aim is for it to be done in love and a pursuit of truth. There was an atheist blogger years back "ExPatMat" who had a site called "Shared Space" which partly inspired the "Benevolent Hecklers". He was one of those atheists who you could have a great conversation with without it getting unnecessarily ugly. He was actually interested in what Christians thought rather than merely mocking them.
Yeah, that verse about nothing with God is impossible is a game changer for many different concepts!

Thanks Cindy for the book recommendation and for sharing you favourite verse!
Colossians 1 is the chapter I had in mind for my favourite Universalism verse. It's scope and imagery is powerful, straightforward and beautiful.

God Bless you all and have a Merry Christmas and a happy New Year!

Daniel (Da Pilgrim)

Postby pilgrim » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:27 pm

Daniel (Da Pilgrim) wrote:I personally think it is because Universalism is so radical to previous doctrinal assumptions, that looking into it may mean shattering the "safety" of a predisposed world view. If we question one area, our idea of truth may be different to what we previously thought. It can be scary and we can all be subject to this!

Very well put Daniel. I couldn't agree more - and a Happy New Merry to you too!
the unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
pilgrim

Postby Daniel (Da Pilgrim) » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:08 pm

Hey everyone, just an update. I finally got around to finishing a series on Evangelical Deterministic Universalism. I finished on more of a philosophical note looking to pull it together a little more systematically. It is one of the least common views on here, so I thought I would let you guys know that it is finished and can add it to the already growing body of work done by my fellow Universalists.

http://thebenevolenthecklers.blogspot.co.nz/2017/10/a-systematic-understanding-of.html

Kind Regards and God Bless,

Daniel

Daniel (Da Pilgrim)

Postby Origen; » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:43 pm

Excellently done, Daniel. Here is one of my favorite comments:

"Some people may consider others like Hitler (Yes I have heard it) never being worthy or able to be saved because of how horrible he was. Yet, who is “Hitler”? Hitler the boy? Hitler the adult? Or Hitler in 10,000 years-time, or something else?"
Scholars Corner:
http://www.tentmaker.org/ScholarsCorner.html

Minimal Statement of Faith for Evangelical Universalists:
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=57
Origen;

Postby Daniel (Da Pilgrim) » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:19 pm

Cheers Origen :)

Daniel (Da Pilgrim)

Return to Biblical Theology