The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Is the lake of fire literal death or figurative death?

I am curious what some of you believe. This is not an “I’m right” and “you’re wrong” thread. It is just a thread about how we view the 2nd death in Revelation.

I personally believe it is a literal death and that those interred in that death will not come forth until death is abolished per 1 Corinthians 15:26 and it is then that they, as a group, are subjected to Christ and then God will finally be All in all per 15:28.

But some people think that that death is figurative; that these people are still alive during that time. If that is your position, can you explain why you believe they are still alive while in the 2nd death?

577 views & no replies…hmmm…

Well, grasshopper - obi/wan, it’s like this:

“Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future…”
– Yoda

Fear is the path to the dark side…fear leads to anger…anger leads to hate…hate leads to suffering. – Yoda

Rev.21:5 And He who sits on the throne said, “Behold, I am making all things new.” And He said, “Write, for these words are faithful and true.”

Is “all” already made completely new (21:5), immortal & incorruptible when nations still need healing from the leaves of trees (22:2; Ezek.47:12)? Has death and reigning been abolished (1 Cor.15:24-26) while reigning continues (22:3-5 & 21:23,24)?

Verse 8 refers back to what already transpired in Revelation 20:13-15. And gives additional info re what persons will be cast into the lake of fire, calling it the second death. If death is gone (21:4), then why does the author refer to death again in 21:8?

It is a mistake to assume chapters 20-22 of Revelation are written in chronological order.

If everyone’s destinies are finalized at 21:4-5, then why does God say in verse 6 “to him who is thirsting, will give of the fountain of the water of the life freely”? Because those in the lake of fire (21:8; 20:13-15) can still be saved? The gates into the holy city are never shut (21:25).

If 21:4 refers only to the saved at that time, verse 5 says in various translations God is “making ALL” new. And there is still death which hasn’t been abolished yet (1 Cor.15:22-28).

1 Cor 15:28 When he has done this, then the Son himself will be made subject to him who put everything under him, so that God may be all in all.