The Evangelical Universalist Forum

The "few choose the narrow path" statement?

How do we interpret the “narrow is the way” and “few choose it” statement? (I know I’m paraphrasing big time…) I was on another forum where they were discussing this, I wanted to offer a universalist interpretation! :slight_smile:

The passage refers to this life, not to what happens to people after they die. Read history or look around you to see the clear truth that most people here on earth waste their entire life pursuing sin. How few struggle for righteousness!

Thanks Geoffrey! Truer words were never spoken…although I hope many can be lead (even in this life) to embrace grace and goodness…(I often struggle myself!)

Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it. (Matt 7:13,14 NKJV)

Of course it refers to this life. Salvation from sin is about this life. It is a process. What happens to us in the next life, however, is very much related to whether or not we stay on the narrow path. If, by failing to find the narrow path or getting off it after having found it, the fallen nature is not destroyed, then it will have to be destroyed in the next life—and that may be a very painful process. However, the apostle Paul had this blessed assurance:

And I am persuaded of this very thing, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.
(Philippians 1:6
)

Notwithstanding, that won’t happen unless we find the narrow path and stay on it. Otherwise, there will be severe correction. The very reason Jesus died, is that we might be delivered from sin in this life, and thereby be prepared for the next:

*I Peter 2:24 He himself endured our sins in his body on the tree, that we might die to sin and live to righteousness. By his wounds you have been healed.

II Corinthians 5:15 And he died for all, that those who live might live no longer for themselves but for him who for their sake died and was raised.

Romans 14:9 For to this end Christ died and lived again, that he might be Lord both of the dead and of the living.

Titus 2:14 who gave himself for us to redeem us from all iniquity and to purify for himself a people of his own who are zealous for good deeds.

Heb 9:26 …he has appeared once for all at the end of the age for the abolition of sin by the sacrifice of himself.*

Mt7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Similarly Lk 13:23 And someone said to Him, “Lord, are there just a few who are being saved?”

Mt.7:14 says few were finding it, not few will ever find it. Same idea for Luke 13:23.

Mt.1:21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name Jesus: for he shall save his people from their sins.
Mt.2:6b …my people Israel.

Mt.7:14 does not deny after death salvation to the lost. The gates into the New Jerusalem are always open.
1Cor15: 22 For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive.

1Tim.2:4 who doth will all men to be saved, and to come to the full knowledge of the truth;
Yes, even Judas, Pharoah, Sodom, Hitler & Spirit blasphemers.

I believe ‘life’ refers to being a branch of Christ. Without being part of ‘the body of Christ’ then we are lost.

At some point in our journeys, our ‘Old Self’ must be relinquished to becoming part of Christ.

We are ‘destroyed’ so we can ‘be made new’. Christ alone is our righteousness.

Most certainly I tell you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains by itself alone. But if it dies, it bears much fruit. John 12:24

5Jesus answered “Truly, truly, I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit. 6Flesh is born of flesh, but spirit is born of the Spirit. 7Do not be amazed that I said, ‘You must be born again.’ 8The wind blows where it wishes. You hear its sound, but you do not know where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit.” John 3:5 - 8

…4We therefore were buried with Him through baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may walk in newness of life. 5For if we have been united with Him like this in His death, we will certainly also be raised to life as He was. 6We know that our old self was crucified with Him so that the body of sin might be rendered powerless, that we should no longer be slaves to sin.…
Romans 6:4 - 6

Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old things have passed away. Behold, all things have become new.** 2 Corinthians 5:17**

D.

Lots of contextual notes on the topic here, especially including the GosLuke parallel incident, the details of which make pretty damned clear that Jesus is warning those who think only a few shall be saved that they themselves will be wailing and gnashing their teeth at so very many unexpectedly being saved while they themselves are thrown outside! JRP's Exegetical Compilation: Matt 7:13-23, Luke 13:22-30

(I’m also working up a video discussion of the topic; just haven’t had the time and energy lately to finalize and do it.)

As Origen has mentioned I believe what this passage is saying is that few will find life by the narrow gate. Most will find it the hard way ( by the broad wide gate).
Matthew 11:30 says this: “For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.” This seems contradictory to the “narrow way” passage. However, life can be deceiving. For example, keeping up with your house seems like a lot of work. Chores need to be done on a daily basis. This needs fixed, that needs attention. At first, it seems easier just to ignore everything and spend time enjoying ourselves. But our negligence does eventually catch up to us, and when the house falls down because of it, we end up paying double. Many will take this path and won’t see the light until afterwards.

The literary context is Jesus’ sermon on the mount which dealt with Right Attitudes (beattitudes), Right Doctrine (“you have heard it said” referenced the bad Oral teachings/traditions of the Pharisees which nullified the power of the word of God), and Right Practices (Prayer, Fasting, Giving, etc.). It is the convergence of these three that is the “narrow road”. In order for one to fully experience “eternal life” (which is “knowing” the Father, and righteousness, peace, and joy in the Holy Spirit) one must Live in Right Attitudes, Right Doctrine (beliefs), and Right Life Styles. If anyone of these is missing, one misses out on the righteousness, peace, and joy of the Holy Spirit in that area of one’s life, to a greater or lesser degree depending on how much one is off.

For example, though one believes in prayer (right doctrine) and prays (right action) if one prays so that they can be seen by others (wrong attitude) praying thus does little to no good and in fact can be harmful to one’s soul increasing one’s sense of self-righteousness and judgmentalism towards others.

A Text without a Context is a Pretext! The literary context of this passage is the foundation for interpreting this most likely intended meaning of this passage.