The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Q about Genesis 6:3

Here are some translations…all of which could change the meaning of the verse… at least somewhat…

King James Version
And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.

New International Version (©1984)
Then the LORD said, “My Spirit will not contend with man forever, for he is mortal; his days will be a hundred and twenty years.”

English Standard Version
Then the LORD said, “My Spirit shall not abide in man forever, for he is flesh: his days shall be 120 years

Douay-Rheims Bible
And God said: My spirit shall not remain in man for ever, because he is flesh, and his days shall be a hundred and twenty years.

Darby Bible Translation
And Jehovah said, My Spirit shall not always plead with Man; for he indeed is flesh; but his days shall be a hundred and twenty years.

Young’s Literal Translation
And Jehovah saith, ‘My Spirit doth not strive in man – to the age; in their erring they are flesh:’ and his days have been an hundred and twenty years.

Here is it in context.

Genesis 6
King James Version
1And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them, 2That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose. 3And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years. 4There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.

Which is the best translation and what does it mean? At first reading it could appear that at some point God will simply give up on mankind. Then again that wouldn’t match up to UE…would it… :confused:

Genesis 6:4 And the Lord God said, My Spirit shall certainly not remain among these men for ever*, because they are flesh, but their days shall be an hundred and twenty years.

*for eons

From the Septuagint (Brenton’s Translation) -Greek Translation of the pre-Masoretic Hebrew Old Testament

If I recall, after this statement; 120 years later, The Flood occurred. I would interpret the passage as saying; mankind had become so wicked, and abandoned God so thoroughly, God had no recourse but to remove his manifest presence, and essentially cast them out into the outer darkness, culminating in the destruction of their flesh which they had so violently become in their unabated, unrepentant sin. Instead of being men of spirit, and so men of Spirit, they chose to be men of flesh, and flesh cannot inherit the kingdom of God, nor can flesh (carnality) associate with God. Men let their falseselves take over to such an extent extinction of the whole was most likely immanent; wherein God had to act, casting them into darkness, and sending forth The Flood to cleanse.

But these men, bereft now of flesh and body, as spirits in the outer darkness as prisoners were most likely those very prisoners of whom were preached to in this passage;

For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit: By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison; Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water. The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ: Who is gone into heaven, and is on the right hand of God; angels and authorities and powers being made subject unto him.

(1 Peter 3:18-22) -KJV

For Christ also suffered once to atone for sins, the just for the unjust, that He might bring you to God, being put to death in the flesh, but made alive by the Spirit, by whom also He went and preached to the spirits in prison, who formerly disobeyed, when the longsuffering of God was waiting in the days of Noah, when the ark was being prepared, in which a few, that is, eight souls, were saved through water; which as an antitype, baptism now also saves us–(not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God), through the resurrection of Jesus Christ, who having gone into heaven, is at the right hand of God, angels and authorities and powers being subjected to Him.

(1 Peter 3:18-22) English Majority Text Version

Mankind’s lifespan was also set post-Flood, in the story, to be around 120 maximum.

But I agree, the context seems to be that God wouldn’t keep on keeping them alive on earth, due to their carnal behavior. As Lefein pointed out, that isn’t the end of their story.

My take on one reason for the flood was so that the Lord would have some righteous people through whom He could work on the earth to bring the Saviour into the world to fulfill prophesy & save mankind. For the world had become exceedingly evil. So the flood that destroyed people was actually for their salvation, as it was necessary to save them.

The Saviour is announced as the Saviour of the world, which i take to mean Saviour of all people, including those who died in the flood, and still remained in unbelief, if any. Though while they were dying in the days of the flood & realizing Noah was right, who can deny that many, if not all of them, may have repented. If not, they will receive much more powerful evidences of God with & following their own resurrection back to life.

Other than that there appears to be a lot of differences of opinions with commentators (re Gen.6:3) guessing as to what this difficult passage means & why God shortened man’s life span to 120 years. In the Psalms reference is made to 70 or 80 years.

What eternal Damnationists commentating re Gen.6:3 don’t explain, though, is the idea that if this lifespan is the only chance for salvation, why a loving God would make the lifespan much shorter, thereby giving men less time to find God. And what of those who die at ages 0 to 20? Do they not get the same chances as others living longer? Furthermore, why bring the wicked back to life, if they are totally hardened beyond even the repair of Love Omnipotent? Just to torture them before the unfeeling impotent terminator machine called god sends them to endless doom?

The same Hebrew word (OLAM, 5769) used for “forever” in Gen.6:3 also appears in Lam.3:31:

For the Lord will not cast off forever, (Lam.3:31)

32 For if He causes grief, Then He will have compassion According to His abundant lovingkindness. 33 For He does not afflict willingly Or grieve the sons of men.…

Lamentations 3:31-33 as translated above appears to contradict your interpretation of Genesis 6:3.

Alternate translations from yours, however, solve the puzzle:

JPS Tanakh 1917
And the LORD said: ‘My spirit shall not abide in man for ever, for that he also is flesh; therefore shall his days be a hundred and twenty years.’

Douay-Rheims Bible
And God said: My spirit shall not remain in man for ever, because he is flesh, and his days shall be a hundred and twenty years.

Young’s Literal Translation
And Jehovah saith, ‘My Spirit doth not strive in man – to the age; in their erring they are flesh:’ and his days have been an hundred and twenty years.

Concordant Literal Version
And saying is Yahweh Elohim, "Not abide shall My spirit in the human for the eon, in that moreover, he is flesh. And come shall his days to be a hundred and twenty years.

Rotherham Emphasized Bible
And Yahweh said—My spirit shall not rule in man to times age—abiding, for that, he also, is flesh,—Yet his days shall be a hundred and twenty years.

NET Bible
So the LORD said, “My spirit will not remain in humankind indefinitely, since they are mortal. They will remain for 120 more years.”

ISV
Then the LORD said, "My Spirit will not remain with human beings forever, because they are truly mortal, and their lifespan will be 120 years.

English Standard Version
Then the LORD said, “My Spirit shall not abide in man forever, for he is flesh: his days shall be 120 years.”

John Wycliffe’s Translation
And God seide, My spirit schal not dwelle in man with outen ende, for he is fleisch; and the daies of hym schulen be an hundrid and twenti yeer.

Brenton English Septuagint Translation
And the Lord God said, My Spirit shall certainly not remain among these men for ever, because they are flesh, but their days shall be an hundred and twenty years.

Charles Thompson Translation (of the LXX)
then the Lord God said, "My breath must not continue in these men to this age, because they are flesh; their days however, shall be an hundred and twenty years

Complete Apostle’s Bible (of the LXX)
And the Lord God said, My Spirit shall certainly not remain among these men forever, because they are flesh, but their days shall be one hundred and twenty years.

“R.V. marg. rule in. Better, according to many ancient versions, abide in…”

“…Shall not dwell (LXX., οὐ μὴ καταμείνη; Vulgate, non permanebit; Syriac, Onkelos).”

Bible Hub: Search, Read, Study the Bible in Many Languages

“Genesis 6:3 compare perhaps continue, do something continually, in modern Egyptian Arabic (SoSK lxvii {1894}, 211 f.). (1) ᵐ5 ᵑ9 ᵑ6 Onk read ידיר or (Kue) ילון abide in, dwell, — My spirit will not abide in man for ever; this best suits the context, but ידור, as Aramaism, is dubious (2) Kn De Schr RVm render rule in, supported by Zechariah 3:7 only. (3) Thes Ew Di render be humbled in, sustained by Arabic usage, but not by Hebrew (4) strive with of AV RV (compare 6 above) is hardly justified.”

Brown-Driver-Briggs Hebrew and English Lexicon, Unabridged, Electronic Database.

Bible Hub: Search, Read, Study the Bible in Many Languages

And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed. (Gen.12:3)

1 Jn.2:27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

If God doesn’t save all, is it because He can’t or doesn’t want to?
“…it doesn’t say what most evangelizers of hopelessness want it to say in that regard either.”
“It is false, he maintained, to translate that phrase as “everlasting punishment,” introducing into the New Testament the concept found in the Islamic Quran that God is going to torture the wicked forever.”
“…non-Christians are punished forever for not recieving grace, which doesn’t seem very graceful to me.”

evangelicaluniversalist.com/forum/
tentmaker.org/ScholarsCorner.html
tentmaker.org/books/hope_beyond_hell.pdf
lovewins.us/

Origen; a couple of questions…

1. WHO is, and from where did you get this apparent quote above of said… “TheWordIsOne;49457558” :question:
  2. HOW does/did the mere quoting of these “Alternate translations” apparently in your view… “solve the puzzle:” :question:
  1. That is the username of an internet forum member from the discussion at:

city-data.com/forum/christia … s-end.html

1. In a word the apparent contradiction, or puzzle, between interpretations of Gen.6:3 & Lam.3:31-33 is based on (A) the translations of olam as “forever” & (B) the words “strive with” (Gen.6:3). Once those are realized as questionable or unnecessary, then the interpretation of the OP’s translation of Gen.6:3 is undermined as an alleged proof for his position.