The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Choose 1 fave universalist quote from Bible

thought it might be fun for everyone to try and choose 1 - see how many we can compile along the way…if someone chooses the one you wanted to choose - find another! :slight_smile:

I consider the following to be the best text in the Bible concerning the correction of the unrighteous after they are judged!

The Lord knows how to deliver the devout out of trial, but to reserve the unrighteous for a day of judgment, to be corrected. (2 Peter 2:9)

Here is an interlinear for your consideration:
οιδεν—κυριος— ευσεβεις εκ πειρασμου ρυεσθαι— αδικους———— δε -εις ημεραν κρισεως——— κολαζομενους τηρειν
knows the Lord- devout—out of trial—— to deliver-unrighteous but into a day— of judgment to be corrected to keep (2 Peter 2:9)

The whole strength of this understanding lies in the translation of the lexical form of κολαζομενους, a form of “κολαζω” (koladzō) which means “to correct”. I realize that some may object to this translation, but the Online Bible Greek Lexicon gives the primary meanings of “κολαζω”as:

1. to lop or prune
  2. to chastise, correct, punish

Abbott-Smith’s A Manual Greek Lexicon of the New Testament gives the meanings:

1. to curtail, dock, prune
  2. to check, restrain
  3. to chastise, correct, punish

Originally, the word was used to reference to the pruning of trees, shrubs, or vines with a view to correcting their growth by shaping them. Later it was used figuratively with reference to the correction of people, e.g. Children. To translate the word as “punish” is correct as long as it is understood to be reformative rather than retributive. In English, “punish” may have either connotation, although it is more often taken in the latter sense, or in the sense of administering a penalty.

In Greek, the word “τιμωρεω” has the meaning “to punish” in the retributive sense. Indeed, every lexicon I have checked gives the primary meaning as “to avenge”. Strongs indicates that the word was derived from the two words “τιμη” (honour) and “οὐρος”(guard). Put them together, and you have the concept of a person guarding his honour through vengeance. In recording Paul’s own words concerning his treatment of disciples of Christ prior to Paul’s becoming a disciple himself, Luke wrote:

Acts 22:5 "as also the high priest bears me witness, and all the council of the elders, from whom I also received letters to the brethren, and went to Damascus to bring in chains even those who were there to Jerusalem to be punished (τιμωρεω).

Acts 26:11 "and I punished (τιμωρεω) them often in every synagogue and compelled them to blaspheme; and being exceedingly enraged against them, I persecuted them even to foreign cities.

One of the best ways to get a sense of how a Greek word is used is to note how it is used in literature. The word is used in 4 Macabees 2:12 to indicate correction of children. No good parent punishes his children out of vengeance, but corrects them out of love.

4 Macabees is thought to have been written sometime between 100 B.C. to 100 A.D., that is, in the period in which the New Testament was written. It seems the author had been strongly moved by his reading of the deeds of Antiochus Ephiphanes against the Jews in 1 and 2 Macabees. So much of his “philosophical” thought and “devout reason” centers around the history he read there. In the following sentence he uses both “τιμωρεω” and “ κολαζω“ in a single sentence!

The tyrant Antiochus was both punished (τιμωρεω) on earth and is being corrected (κολαζω) after his death.
(4 Maccabees 18:5)

The Judaistic belief at the time was that people’s souls survive death. So the sentence seems to say that while Antochus’s enemies got their revenge on him and his armies here on earth, God began to correct his soul after death. The author apparently held that post-mortem punishment was remedial. Otherwise he would not have chosen the word “κολαζω” but would have maintained the word “τιμωρεω” for his punishment after death, too.

Here is an example from the Septuagint translation of Ezekiel 43:10-11:

And you, son of man, show to the household of Israel, the house, and show its appearance and its arrangement,that they may cease from their sins. And they shall receive their κολασις concerning all their doings, and you shall describe the house, and its entrances and its foundation, and all its systems, and you shall make known to them all it regulations and describe them in their presence, and they shall guard all my righteous ordinances and all my commands and do them. (Ezekiel 43:10-11)

In this passage, God states His purpose in asking Ezekiel to show the house to Israel, namely that they may cease from their sins. He immediately follows this with “And they shall receive their κολασις concerning all their doings.” If God wants them to cease from their sins, and then gives them κολασις, is he punishing them retributively, or is He correcting them? The answer seems plain. Furthermore the conclusion of the matter is that the Israelites “will guard all my righteous ordinances and all my commands and do them.”

Surely this is reformation, and not mere revenge for their wrongdoing in the past.
Here is the Concordant translation of the verse in question:

The Lord is acquainted with the rescue of the devout out of trial, yet is keeping the unjust for chastening in the day of judging.

We shall be like Him. [blows my mind]

My favorite quote is a 1-2 punch:

This is the will of the Father who sent Me, that of all He has given Me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up at the last day.” (John 6:39)

So Christ won’t lose anything that the Father has given Him. But what has the Father given Him?
The Father loves the Son, and has given all things into His hand.” (John 3:35)

Nice one Geoffery!

Worth noting that the synagogue timoria inflicted by Paul was a remedial punishment itself, meant to restore the punished one to fellowship. The term doesn’t necessarily mean hopeless punishment, or even one meant to assuage the honor of the one inflicting the punishment.

I’ll go with the verse that Calvs like to appeal to regarding the secret will of God about whom He’ll actually be saving.

Ephesians 1:9-11 – [God] is making known to us the secret of His will, in accord with His delight, which He purposed in [our Lord Jesus Christ], into an administration of the complement of the eons, to head up the all in Christ – both that in the heavens and that on the earth – in Him in Whom our lot was also cast, being designated beforehand in accord with the purpose of the One Who is operating the all in accord with the counsel of His will.

Wait, did I say Calvs like to appeal to this verse? I mean they like to ignore it, or to pretend it means that God’s secret will is to gather up only some creatures under Christ’s leadership, not all of them. :mrgreen:

1 Corinthians 13:8

Love never fails.

I like Geoffrey’s very much, as well…John 6:39.

“And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw **all **men to Myself.” John 12:32

Being the short version of Ephesians 1:9-11, and “all” being the Greek “pas”, not meaning “some”, or “only your religious associates” :wink:

pas: all, every
Original Word: πᾶς, πᾶσα, πᾶν
Part of Speech: Adjective
Transliteration: pas
Phonetic Spelling: (pas)
Short Definition: all, the whole, every kind of
Definition: all, the whole, every kind of.

Definitely a classic, Eaglesway.

D.