Is Bradley Jersak An EU?

General posts on Evangelical Universalism.

Is Bradley Jersak An EU?

Postby JamesAH81072 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:32 pm

He's the author of "Her Gates Will Never Be Shut: Hope, Hell, and the New Jerusalem". I've read he's like me a hopeful EU but I also read that he's an EU. If anyone knows of him and his works what side of the coin is he on?
JamesAH81072

Re: Is Bradley Jersak An EU?

Postby qaz » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:05 pm

I've conversed a fair amount with BJ. My understanding of his position is that he thinks God would never not accept a creature's repentance, so the opportunity to be saved will always be there, but that free will might make it so some creatures never choose communion.
qaz

Postby Holy-Fool-P-Zombie » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:00 pm

Actually, he speaks for himself - in this article:

Eastern Anglo-Catholic, Holy Fool Theology; Inclusivist / Hope For All / Purgatorical Conditionalist; Joel Osteen & Red Road Fan;
Contemplation (i.e. Fox Golden Key, Mindfulness / Yoga / Zen); Healing (i.e. Homeopathy, Kampo / TCM, Ayurveda, Spiritual);
Holy-Fool-P-Zombie

Location: Near Chicago or hanging out with Holy Fools, Zombies, P-Zombies, Nerds and Geeks

Postby Origen; » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:24 pm

I received his book in the post office today.

On page 210, the last sentence of the book before the bibligraphy states:

"...the evil that would annihilate God's creation...does not have a hope in hell."
Origen;

Postby Paidion » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:05 am

That's quite an article, Randy! It really provokes a person to think.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 76 years. I am now in my 80th year of life.
Paidion

Postby Holy-Fool-P-Zombie » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:15 am

Paidion wrote:That's quite an article, Randy! It really provokes a person to think.

I also enjoyed it, Paidion :!: :D

Here's a link, about his conversion to Orthodoxy in 2013: https://bradjersak.com/orthodoxy/
Eastern Anglo-Catholic, Holy Fool Theology; Inclusivist / Hope For All / Purgatorical Conditionalist; Joel Osteen & Red Road Fan;
Contemplation (i.e. Fox Golden Key, Mindfulness / Yoga / Zen); Healing (i.e. Homeopathy, Kampo / TCM, Ayurveda, Spiritual);
Holy-Fool-P-Zombie

Location: Near Chicago or hanging out with Holy Fools, Zombies, P-Zombies, Nerds and Geeks

Postby Holy-Fool-P-Zombie » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:33 pm

Holy-Fool-P-Zombie wrote:
Paidion wrote:That's quite an article, Randy! It really provokes a person to think.

I also enjoyed it, Paidion :!: :D

Here's a link, about his conversion to Orthodoxy in 2013: https://bradjersak.com/orthodoxy/

I really don't like the term "hopeful inclusivist", as used in the article Who you callin' a Universalist? by Brad Jersak. I prefer the term - Hope For All. As Inclusivism, at Inclusivism and other positions, is a position I currently hold. As well as Hope For All. Let me quote from this article:

According to inclusivism (sometimes called “the faith principle”), Jesus is the particular savior of the world, but people can benefit from the redemptive work of Christ even though they die never hearing about Christ—if they respond in faith to God based on the revelation God has given them.

The inclusivist position has a long and distinguished history in the church. Such widely divergent thinkers as Justin, Thomas Aquinas, John Wesley, C. S. Lewis, and Pope John Paul II have affirmed it.[40] Today, it is the dominant view of the Roman Catholic Church and of mainline Protestants. Though the Eastern Orthodox Church has no officially sanctioned position, the inclusivistic views of Justin and other Greek fathers are widely cited with approval and many of the arguments for inclusivism are employed.[41] Inclusivism represents the closest thing to a consensus among Christians today.

And I can quote from this article at http://www.theopedia.com/inclusivism:

"Inclusivism posits that even though the work of Christ is the only means of salvation, it does not follow that explicit knowledge of Christ is necessary in order for one to be saved. In contrast to pluralism, inclusivism agrees with exclusivism in affirming the particularity of salvation in Jesus Christ. But unlike exclusivism, inclusivism holds that an implicit faith response to general revelation can be salvific. God expects from man a response proportional to the light given. Saving faith is not characterized so much by its cognitive content as it is by its reverent quality."^ [1]^
Last edited by Holy-Fool-P-Zombie on Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Holy-Fool-P-Zombie

Postby JasonPratt » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:46 am

I tend to class him as a technical if perhaps minimal univeralist, because his position matches the the two minimum requirements: he believes God acts to save all sinners from sin; and he believes God persistently acts to save from sin whomever God intends to save.

The acknowledgement of a possible, or even certain, never-ending stalemate, doesn't contravene either of those two positions.
Cry of Justice -- 2008 Novel of the Year (CSPA retailer poll).
Sword To The Heart -- metaphysical argument to orthodox trinitarianism (and thence to universalism)
Trinitarian universalist exegetics, on internet radio, or here in forum posts.
JasonPratt
Administrator

Return to General Discussion on Evangelical Universalism