Forum will be read-only from March onwards

General posts on Evangelical Universalism.

Re: Forum will be read-only from March onwards

Postby Holy-Fool-P-Zombie » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:44 am

DaveB wrote:That 'martyr' post was 'Justin' time :lol:

You been hanging around me too long, DaveB. :lol:

Charismatic / Anglo-Orthodox /Anglo-Catholic/ Holy Fool; Inclusivist / Possible 2nd Chance Theology/ Conditionalist / Nicene Creed / Theosis;
Contemplation (i.e. Mindfulness, Yoga, Zen); Healing (i.e. Homeopathy, Kampo / TCM, Ayurveda, Spiritual);
Holy-Fool-P-Zombie

Location: Near Chicago or hanging out with Holy Fools, Zombies, P-Zombies, Nerds and Geeks

Postby Paidion » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:46 am

Eusebius wrote:In a way, this saddens me that this message board will become read only. Now I'll have to find other message boards
where Christians can attack me for what I believe.

Generally, people are not attacked for what they believe, but for the manner in which they attempt to justify what they believe.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 76 years. I am now in my 80th year of life.
Paidion

Postby Jonny95 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:31 am

Paidion wrote:
Eusebius wrote:In a way, this saddens me that this message board will become read only. Now I'll have to find other message boards

Generally, people are not attacked for what they believe, but for the manner in which they attempt to justify what they believe.

Oh shut your face! ;)
John 13:34-35 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”
Jonny95

Postby Paidion » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:11 pm

Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Paidion

Postby Eaglesway » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:28 pm

I made a forum a couple years ago, It has no members, lol, I never promote it, but it was really easy and cheap to do. I dont have time to run a forum, so I set up the threads to be basic studies limited to UR, and I may use it to archive some of my UR focused posts from here and Tentmaker. I think it costs me about 110.00 dollars a year. Its a phpBB forum @ www.Salvationofall.org. I will keep an eye out to see if anyone is interested in it, but its purpose is strictly UR focused, unless I was to create a hidden "anything goes" area. Facebook has some good features, but I think it is just too limited for discussion, and the "thread" method is the only way i've seen to maintain a topic.

In an ideal world the "facial" portion of the forum would be a place where the nuts and bolts of UR/Salvation of All/ Biblical Christian Universalism would be presented clearly and consistently.

Tangental theological rabbit holes could be discussed by thicker skinned established members in a hidden area ot the forum covered by a big disclaimer, "Let no timid enter here" :lol:

The conflict between trying to present this wonderful gospel message, and having it lost and buried beneath the kudzu of systematic theologies of different brands, is one I think needs to be resolved somewhere(not sure where and how, but would like to see it).

Anyway, it definitely takes time to create and monitor such a thing, and I appreciate the time invested by the founders of this forum, and I think the general tone of the forum has been pretty good.
Eaglesway

Postby DaveB » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:46 pm

Eaglesway wrote:the kudzu of systematic theologies

Oh, well put matey!
Attachments
hattip.jpeg
hattip.jpeg (3.98 KiB) Viewed 3816 times
All things bright and beautiful,
All creatures great and small,
All things wise and wonderful:
The Lord God made them all.
DaveB

Postby pog » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:55 pm

How are we still posting???
pog

Postby Alex Smith » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:09 pm

pog wrote:How are we still posting???
I haven't had a chance to freeze things yet :)
Alex Smith
Administrator

Postby JasonPratt » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:22 am

Also, I gathered that the plan wasn't to freeze posts until next month? We just aren't accepting new members from March 1 onward.
Cry of Justice -- 2008 Novel of the Year (CSPA retailer poll).
Sword To The Heart -- metaphysical argument to orthodox trinitarianism (and thence to universalism)
Trinitarian universalist exegetics, on internet radio, or here in forum posts.
JasonPratt
Administrator

Postby DaveB » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:19 am

I can vent my spleen the rest of the month???

Woooooohooooooo :D
DaveB

Postby steve7150 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:49 am

I haven't had a chance to freeze things yet :)
Alex Smith
Administrator

Take your time, like a few months!
steve7150

Postby Jepne » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:00 pm

Many, many thanks to you all for hosting this forum - I have enjoyed it mostly vicariously through my husband. You all have enriched our lives by engaging yourselves in these discussions.

I definitely want to gather up all his three-some-thousand posts before the door finally closes - as well as some other people's.

I am more of a facebook person, so I may see you there as Jean Clink.

Many of my fb friends are evangelical so I post on my page things that I find that will provoke them to think a little further than black-white, heaven or hell, so I understand the desire for anonymity - I don't want to be in their faces with my beliefs that are so different from theirs.

The only closed FB group I was turned away from was a Vietnam Veterans group for people who had been 'in the land'.

I have heard that Zuckerberg is censoring facebook, so if you are Right wing, you may be affected. I have my ear out for another social media place - there are some that you can't use with a computer, so there are limitations.

Bless you all - hope we meet again - on this earth, I mean. !!
Jepne

Postby Eusebius » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:27 am

Paidion wrote:

That must have been what happened to Jesus, Paul and all who were martyred. If only they just kept their mouths shut.

But really, no one has been martyred here . . . that I know of. And it is improper for someone to claim I have a martyr complex (which is just another form of attack on me by the way), for stating that, for the most part, I have been attacked for what I believe. People just don't like to be told they are wrong, including me. But we need to be like the Bereans who were more noble than the others who searched the Scriptures to see if these have it right. We all need to swallow our pride and ask God for help.

Paidion, I may not agree with some things you've written, but I do appreciate that what you write is unique to you and is very special.
One day everyone will come into a realization of the truth for God has promised us in 1 Timothy 2:4-6. I can't wait for everyone to catch up with me. LOL!!! :lol:
Just because God says He will save all mankind
does not necessarily mean He won't.
Eusebius

Postby davo » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:47 am

Eusebius wrote:And it is improper for someone to claim I have a martyr complex (which is just another form of attack on me by the way), for stating that, for the most part, I have been attacked for what I believe.

Oh dear… Image :oops: :mrgreen:
“...the power and mercy of God’s grace is NOT limited to man’s ability to comprehend it...”
davo

Postby Paidion » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:22 am

Poor Eusebius. Attacked for what he believes. And accused of having a martyr complex. Image
Paidion

Paidion

Postby Holy-Fool-P-Zombie » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:08 pm

I found some fellows, who have a bone or two - to pick with Eusebius :!: :lol:

Charismatic / Anglo-Orthodox /Anglo-Catholic/ Holy Fool; Inclusivist / Possible 2nd Chance Theology/ Conditionalist / Nicene Creed / Theosis;
Contemplation (i.e. Mindfulness, Yoga, Zen); Healing (i.e. Homeopathy, Kampo / TCM, Ayurveda, Spiritual);
Holy-Fool-P-Zombie

Location: Near Chicago or hanging out with Holy Fools, Zombies, P-Zombies, Nerds and Geeks

Postby DaveB » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:13 pm

That was almost humerus. I was going to have Patella, but he's in Palatine.
DaveB

Postby Eaglesway » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:11 am

Was that humerus or a fibula?
Eaglesway

Postby DaveB » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:17 am

Hahhhhha...it was just a good-natured ribbing...
DaveB

Postby Gabe Grinstead » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:22 am

Paidion wrote:Poor Eusebius. Attacked for what he believes. And accused of having a martyr complex. Image

Come on guys, that isn't Godly behavior. I don't agree with hardly anything he has posted, but to insinuate he is a sensitive cry baby is definitely not loving your neighbor. Let's not be rude.
Gabe Grinstead

Postby DaveB » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:26 am

DaveB wrote:That was almost humerus. I was going to have Patella, but he's in Palatine.

Should have been ", but Pat's in Palatine"

That was almost 'humorous'. I was going to have 'Pat tell ya', but Pat's in PAlaTine

Palatine: The palatine bones are two irregular bones of the facial skeleton in many animal species. Together with the maxillae they comprise the hard palate.

Some reviews of this post:

"[T]he DaveB manner is arresting purely as craftsmanship. . . . seldom has a literary style so precisely jumped with the time. . . . a moving and beautiful post."

"He has moved steadily toward mastery of his technique . ."

"Here, then, is DaveB's new post, a little less than perfect, but proof positive that he is still the old master."

:lol: :lol: :lol: Too much time on my hands...
DaveB

Postby Paidion » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:43 pm

Gabe wrote:Come on guys, that isn't Godly behavior. I don't agree with hardly anything he has posted, but to insinuate he is a sensitive cry baby is definitely not loving your neighbor. Let's not be rude.

There was no insinuation or rudeness involved. What we did was a natural response (good-natured ribbing) to his claim to have been attacked for his beliefs. He hadn't been attacked. But whenever someone expressed disagreement he seemed to take it as an attack. He also claimed people had accused him of having a martyr complex. I saw no evidence of this.
Paidion

Paidion

Postby JasonPratt » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:35 am

Davo back on page one accused him of the martyr complex, as part of some good natured ribbing (leading to puns), for his habit of treating disagreements as "attacks" on him for what he believes.

Which he proceeded to treat as just another "attack" on hm. :roll: But Eusebius was correct about someone in the thread saying he has a martyr complex.
Sword To The Heart -- metaphysical argument to orthodox trinitarianism (and thence to universalism)
JasonPratt
Administrator

Postby davo » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:08 am

davo wrote:
where Christians can attack me for what I believe. :D

C'mon Eusebius… enough already with the martyr complex :lol:

Jason… seriously??? That was NO “accusation” as per what that word conjures up. Eusebius was just being too precious; he needs to harden up and relax — if both those things aren’t mutually exclusive, lol. :lol:
“...the power and mercy of God’s grace is NOT limited to man’s ability to comprehend it...”
davo

Postby qaz » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:35 am

Perhaps there's been a cultural misunderstanding on eusebius's part. Australians tend to be much more rough and tumble than Americans. There's actually a movie, Crocodile Dundee, all about this cultural difference between Americans and Australians.
qaz

Postby steve7150 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:36 am

Perhaps there's been a cultural misunderstanding on eusebius's part. Australians tend to be much more rough and tumble than Americans. There's actually a movie, Crocodile Dundee, all about this cultural difference between Americans and Australians.

Now this is a knife! Mate! :D
steve7150

Postby Holy-Fool-P-Zombie » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:00 pm

steve7150 wrote:Perhaps there's been a cultural misunderstanding on eusebius's part. Australians tend to be much more rough and tumble than Americans. There's actually a movie, Crocodile Dundee, all about this cultural difference between Americans and Australians.

Now this is a knife! Mate! :D

I remember when I visited, an Australian university's, philosophy department. It seemed like only yesterday... :lol:

"If people are doubting how far you'll go, go so far that you can't hear them anymore."-- Michele Ruiz

Holy-Fool-P-Zombie

Postby JasonPratt » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:02 am

davo wrote:
davo wrote:
where Christians can attack me for what I believe. :D

C'mon Eusebius… enough already with the martyr complex :lol:

Jason… seriously??? That was NO “accusation” as per what that word conjures up. Eusebius was just being too precious; he needs to harden up and relax — if both those things aren’t mutually exclusive, lol. :lol:

Granted on the latter, but "enough already with the X" implies some kind of accusation that an X which should not be done is being done.
JasonPratt
Administrator

Postby davo » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:00 pm

Lol… I can’t believe I’m actually responding to this. :roll:

Anyone with an ounce of common sense can see the light-heart nature of Eusebius’ “Now I'll have to find other message boards where Christians can attack me for what I believe. :D— ESPECIALLY his use of the… :D It was to this I responded in-kind with my quip, note, not an accusation; followed by, just to make it plain (but apparently not) my own… :lol:

That Eusebius then later on chose to make this the source of some egregious complaint, and all the head-scratching palaver that followed, has left me thinking…
davo

Postby JasonPratt » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:39 am

JasonPratt wrote:Davo back on page one accused him of the martyr complex, as part of some good natured ribbing (leading to puns), for his habit of treating disagreements as "attacks" on him for what he believes.

Which he [Eusebius] proceeded to treat as just another "attack" on hm. :roll: But Eusebius was correct about someone in the thread saying he has a martyr complex.

davo wrote:Lol… I can’t believe I’m actually responding to this. :roll:

Anyone with an ounce of common sense can see the light-heart nature of Eusebius’ “Now I'll have to find other message boards where Christians can attack me for what I believe. :D— ESPECIALLY his use of the… :D It was to this I responded in-kind with my quip, note, not an accusation; followed by, just to make it plain (but apparently not) my own… :lol:

That Eusebius then later on chose to make this the source of some egregious complaint, and all the head-scratching palaver that followed, has left me thinking…

Well, then, I demonstrably had at least an ounce of common sense, since from the beginning I correctly identified the accusation as good-natured ribbing and NOT as an attack (including a plain eyeroll at treating it as an attack), although Eu did.

A joking accusation is still an accusation as well as a joke. It was not an attack, and I'm not the one who treated it as such. The Judge Judy gif is, however, apt.

JasonPratt
Administrator

Postby Holy-Fool-P-Zombie » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:52 am

Maybe today's quote I shared on Twitter, will give us some food for fodder (see https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090731152604AANXGhM).

"Never be defined by your past. It was just a lesson, not a life sentence."-- Author Unknown
Holy-Fool-P-Zombie

Postby ChrisB » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:40 pm

I'm sad
How much more will those receive God's abundant provision of grace and the gift of righteousness reign in life through the one man Jesus Christ Rom 5 vs 17
ChrisB

Postby Craig » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:42 pm

I am also very sad to hear of this forum finishing. It has meant a lot to me over the last few years to be able to read posts, discuss the scriptures, and fellowship with the people here in a way that has been most encouraging. I will miss having access to you and all your thoughts.
Thanks very much to all those who have worked so hard to make it the blessing that it has been.
God bless you all.
Craig.
Craig

Postby Holy-Fool-P-Zombie » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:45 pm

One of the best literary analysis attempts...put into a black, gangster style framework...ls Thug Notes. You can see all 100 liternary analysis here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw9q2P2N028&list=PLghL9V9QTN0jTgA1qrhWrBCB_Ln4xlVlB

And, Yes. Sparky Sweets, does have a PhD, as this Wiki article articulates: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thug_Notes

Let me quote from the Wiki article:

Explaining the usage of African American Vernacular English within the series, Edwards stated, "but the truth is, the gift of literature is universal in meaning and should be made accessible to everyone on every plane. So, 'Thug Notes' is my way of trivializing academia's attempt at making literature exclusionary by showing that even high-brow academic concepts can be communicated in a clear and open fashion."[8] The style used by Edwards' character was a result of "frustration with the world of academia".[6]

I thought it might be interesting, to see his presentation of Dante's Inferno :D

Holy-Fool-P-Zombie

Postby DaveB » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:26 pm

But!!!! As Robert Frost said "All the fun's in how you say a thing".

Compare:
"MY soul is like an enchanted boat,
Which, like a sleeping swan, doth float
Upon the silver waves of thy sweet singing;
And thine doth like an angel sit
Beside a helm conducting it, 5
Whilst all the winds with melody are ringing.
It seems to float ever, for ever,
Upon that many-winding river,
Between mountains, woods, abysses,
A paradise of wildernesses! 10
Till, like one in slumber bound,
Borne to the ocean, I float down, around,
Into a sea profound, of ever-spreading sound:"

Yeah it could be put into prose or hip-hop - but it would not be as fun! :lol:
DaveB

Postby Alex Smith » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:51 pm

Craig wrote:I am also very sad to hear of this forum finishing. It has meant a lot to me over the last few years to be able to read posts, discuss the scriptures, and fellowship with the people here in a way that has been most encouraging. I will miss having access to you and all your thoughts.
Thanks very much to all those who have worked so hard to make it the blessing that it has been.
God bless you all.
Craig.
I can't promise anything as there are a number of hurdles, but we may be migrating the forum to a new platform so that it can continue...
Alex Smith
Administrator

Postby Bruce Cooper » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:48 pm

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bruce Cooper

Postby DaveB » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:58 am

Would a miniscule...I mean, a cash contribution from a few of us be any help in clearing those hurdles?
DaveB

Postby Eaglesway » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:52 pm

Yea, if its a cash issue as opposed to a time/value issue I would be glad to pitch in.
Eaglesway

Postby Craig » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:20 am

Eaglesway wrote:Yea, if its a cash issue as opposed to a time/value issue I would be glad to pitch in.

Me too.
Craig

Postby steve7150 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:00 am

Me too.

Me too too! Is it completely impossible to keep it going? How much time and effort is involved?
steve7150

Postby JasonPratt » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:25 am

It isn't a question of cash. The hosting server will be ceasing to run this server engine, requiring us to migrate one way or another. We can migrate to a new host that runs the same server engine; or to a new host with a different engine; or to a new engine on this host.

The landlord we're renting from has decided to knock down the house, so we have to move to a new house, whether owned by this landlord or by another one. Since lots can go wrong with the move, we're conservatively treating the situation as terminal just to be safe; but Alex et al are running experiments to migrate the forum, in part or in whole, to another engine.

The cash offer is certainly appreciated, of course! :D But, it hasn't really been a problem. Various people have funded the forum over the years, myself included as the fallback position (since I have a good job and no family to support, so I can afford to pay the whole yearly fee if necessary. I just treat it as part of my tithe.)
JasonPratt
Administrator

Postby Holy-Fool-P-Zombie » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:32 am

JasonPratt wrote:It isn't a question of cash. The hosting server will be ceasing to run this server engine, requiring us to migrate one way or another. We can migrate to a new host that runs the same server engine; or to a new host with a different engine; or to a new engine on this host.

The landlord we're renting from has decided to knock down the house, so we have to move to a new house, whether owned by this landlord or by another one. Since lots can go wrong with the move, we're conservatively treating the situation as terminal just to be safe; but Alex et al are running experiments to migrate the forum, in part or in whole, to another engine.

The cash offer is certainly appreciated, of course! :D But, it hasn't really been a problem. Various people have funded the forum over the years, myself included as the fallback position (since I have a good job and no family to support, so I can afford to pay the whole yearly fee if necessary. I just treat it as part of my tithe.)

Hi, Jason. For my benefit and others here. When you use the term "engine", are you referring to PHPBB? And not a server configuration, like LAMP (i.e. Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP)? And a new engine, would be something like MYBB? Is this a correct understanding?
Holy-Fool-P-Zombie

Postby TurtleJoy » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:57 am

I respect your decision but feel that I must say that Facebook groups are a LOUSY alternative to message boards. the organization is awful and people ask the same questions very often because no visible threads.
And of his fulness have all we received, and grace for grace. -John 1:16
TurtleJoy

Postby JasonPratt » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:40 am

Holy-Fool-P-Zombie wrote:Hi, Jason. For my benefit and others here. When you use the term "engine", are you referring to PHPBB? And not a server configuration, like LAMP (i.e. Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP)? And a new engine, would be something like MYBB? Is this a correct understanding?

From what I understand, that's correct. We're either migrating to a new host that uses PHPBB, or to a new forum code either on this host or elsewhere -- although I think the team has been looking more at getting off the PHPBB engine for some reason.

(Forum networking isn't my specialty at all, so I'm not much help on this side of the project, and I could be using terms wrongly, too. But I'm trying to describe it in a way that makes sense to me. ;) )
JasonPratt
Administrator

Postby steve7150 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:50 am

I respect your decision but feel that I must say that Facebook groups are a LOUSY alternative to message boards. the organization is awful and people ask the same questions very often because no visible threads.

Right i have not seen individual threads/topics on FB. Plus FB just moves things on their own according to their algorithm?
steve7150

Postby Valiantwarrior » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:42 am

Hey y'all! It's been a long time since posted a reply. I'm sad to see this forum go. I would agree that Facebook is more accessible though. Thank you to all who have been managing this and providing insight!
I actually am wondering: Ilaria Ramelli said that she had an abridged version of her 900 page tome on the way, is that accessible to the public yet? Or canceled? Or have some kind of status on it? Does anyone know?

Thank you all and blessings,

Val
"What is there in the act of dying that it should change the mind of God
towards us?" - Percy Dearmer
Valiantwarrior

Postby JasonPratt » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:59 am

Last I heard, the micro-tome is still being worked on; possibly delayed because she's working on two auxiliary tomes (one on early non-Christian notions of apokatastasis, and one on Christian apokatastasis after Eriugena into and through the Middle-Ages, into the early modern period.)
JasonPratt
Administrator

Postby Origen; » Sun May 14, 2017 1:44 pm

I like the CD idea with info from the entire site. Or of the comments from individuals, e.g. Jason Pratt's posts.

Is the plan to move everything to another site/server for reading only, but have future discussions on FB?
Scholars Corner:
http://www.tentmaker.org/ScholarsCorner.html

Minimal Statement of Faith for Evangelical Universalists:
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=57
Origen;

Postby Origen; » Sun May 14, 2017 1:54 pm

For those who don't expect they'd participate in a FB (FaceBook) type of discussion format, perhaps the following two forums would be of interest:

https://www.christianforums.com/

http://www.city-data.com/forum/

Christian Universalists have been posting there for years, including some members of this site. I've seen them in these topics:

"Controversial Christian Theology
Nicene and Non-Nicene Christians only
(eg. full preterism, universalism)."

https://www.christianforums.com/forums/ ... ology.130/

http://www.city-data.com/forum/christianity/

Another forum is at Tentmaker, though i don't know if they're accepting new members at this time.

These are all excellent options to find Christians (& others) who will attack you for what you believe ;
Scholars Corner:
http://www.tentmaker.org/ScholarsCorner.html

Minimal Statement of Faith for Evangelical Universalists:
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=57
Origen;

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion on Evangelical Universalism